Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

Realistically Do You Think Canucks Will Sign Weber Etc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

#91 TwinTelepathy

TwinTelepathy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

screw shea weber.

#92 questforthecup

questforthecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Mats Sundin says hi.

There's always a chance that anything can happen; we'll just have to wait and see. While the chances of getting Weber this year is extremely low, it's higher next summer when he's a UFA (?)

If you had not deleted 2/3 of my post it would make more sense. Though I still stand by what I said about Gillis not going after massive contract superstar FAs. He's been getting really stingy with asking players to take discounts and shorter terms and letting players walk if they don't buy into his philosophy (Ehrhoff, Torres etc.)

I also said that if we weren't close to the cap ceiling it would be a lot easier. When Gillis offered Sundin that massive contract, we had the room for it, so it didn't hurt. It was basically a win-win situation because we didn't have to give anything up for him and we only had a legendary superstar (albeit in his twilight years) to gain.

#93 Day one

Day one

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

No.

#94 Sully2Cool

Sully2Cool

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

maybe i would love to Have Weber on our team he would be great if or when Salo Retires Weber would be great on the PP.

Edited by Sully2Cool, 02 May 2012 - 08:39 PM.

Posted Image

#95 mikee21

mikee21

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

no

#96 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

Realistically? No.

The Canucks are already a Cap-heavy team and I don't see them adding another player with a big salary, especially one that they'd have to move so many assets for.

Why not? We are getting rid of 5.3 million in Luongo, get rid of Ballard at 4.2, and Add Weber at 7.7 and .8 for Eddie Lack. Move Malhotra at 2.5 to cover Corey's raise. Problem solved, next issue?

#97 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

No

At least, I hope not. People already hate us, we don't need a WWF contender to advance that image.

I don't think you understand why we aren't liked... it is because we DON'T play that way. Hockey players and fans love that stuff, it is "honest, tough hockey".

Weber regularly smashing people would definitely improve our image as divers and whiners. Maybe we should petition Kesler to start doing the turnbuckle when he is annoyed, rather than giving dirty looks to the refs, beaking off, or falling down like he is a soccer player.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#98 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Maybe when he become a UFA at the end of next season. I doubt we will blow up our team just to fit him in this year.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#99 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:49 PM

Same team minus luo. Maybe one low key d-man and a goon like Parros.

#100 wai_lai416

wai_lai416

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

no he'll not sign in vancouver.. i don't really think there's many star caliber players would want to sign in vancouver just coz the amount of media scrutiny they'll be under.. and the moment they have a small slump.. the entire city will be out there trying to run them out of town.. and enough with the he's from bc crap.. how many times have we said that he's from bc so he'll want to sign with the canucks and come home? and how many actually came?

#101 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,461 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:57 AM

Our defence needs a shakeup badly, but MG will probably aim for this:

Edler - Ballard
Bieksa - Hamhuis
Rome - Tanev
Alberts

There is so much wrong with that defence that it's not even funny, but this guy seems pretty ignorant about the woes on defence. The reason we lost in the SCF and against LA wasn't our lack of offence which is easily pointed out, it was our poor defence.

You make offence out of playing good defence, and our forwards had no chance to get anything going because our defencemen were making stupid plays, getting caught hemmed in their own zone and couldn't move the puck well enough with terrible passes up the ice since Ehrhoff left.

Worst of all, they got victimized against a Bruins team last year that wasn't really scoring much going into the playoffs, and the league's 2nd worst offence this season that should of bean shut down easily.

Our defence played poorly all season long and it was our goalies who really saved their bacon game-in-game out, so with one of our goalies leaving we're about to see how crap this D actually is unless MG makes an acquisition. Right now we have a surprluss of top-6 forwards (Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Higgins, Booth, Hansen and potentially Raymond/Kassian) and not enough top-4 defencemen (Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis).

The trade is simple - get rid of any of our top-6 forwards or even 3rd liners for a quality defenceman.
Posted Image

#102 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:20 AM

Suter is too small anyway. I thought we were looking for 6'-4" @ 230+

He doesn't "drop them" much either for all those looking for a bigger version of Bieksa.

Edited by Bodee, 03 May 2012 - 05:22 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#103 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

Our defence needs a shakeup badly, but MG will probably aim for this:

Edler - Ballard
Bieksa - Hamhuis
Rome - Tanev
Alberts

There is so much wrong with that defence that it's not even funny, but this guy seems pretty ignorant about the woes on defence. The reason we lost in the SCF and against LA wasn't our lack of offence which is easily pointed out, it was our poor defence.

You make offence out of playing good defence, and our forwards had no chance to get anything going because our defencemen were making stupid plays, getting caught hemmed in their own zone and couldn't move the puck well enough with terrible passes up the ice since Ehrhoff left.

Worst of all, they got victimized against a Bruins team last year that wasn't really scoring much going into the playoffs, and the league's 2nd worst offence this season that should of bean shut down easily.

Our defence played poorly all season long and it was our goalies who really saved their bacon game-in-game out, so with one of our goalies leaving we're about to see how crap this D actually is unless MG makes an acquisition. Right now we have a surprluss of top-6 forwards (Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Higgins, Booth, Hansen and potentially Raymond/Kassian) and not enough top-4 defencemen (Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis).

The trade is simple - get rid of any of our top-6 forwards or even 3rd liners for a quality defenceman.

Ballard on the right is a nightmare...............on the left he is a thoroughbred.
Kevin.jpg

#104 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,838 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

Why not? We are getting rid of 5.3 million in Luongo, get rid of Ballard at 4.2, and Add Weber at 7.7 and .8 for Eddie Lack. Move Malhotra at 2.5 to cover Corey's raise. Problem solved, next issue?

Well it would be nice if it were that simple Ray, but I admire your optimism. :)

Hey Sully, great sig!
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#105 Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Mats Sundin says hi.

There's always a chance that anything can happen; we'll just have to wait and see. While the chances of getting Weber this year is extremely low, it's higher next summer when he's a UFA (?)

Ya and he didnt do anything
Posted Image
Drouin#27 Halifax Mooseheads Star

Credit to Canucks Top Scorer

#106 TGokou

TGokou

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

If Suter doesn't sign this offseason, there's a very good chance Weber won't sign next season.

Here's how I think it'll shake down assuming Weber wants out. He'll tell Nashville he will only sign a one year deal. Nashville won't bother and will trade him for the best package they can get. There's a good chance it won't be Vancouver. One year expires with his new team and he'll decide to go to unrestricted free agency. Team that traded for him will attempt to trade his rights for a 1st or a 2nd to recoup their losses. Weber signs with Vancouver :) Yes it's a long shot in hell but why not....anything is possible.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.