Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

(Signing)Flames Sign Roman Cervenka

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#31 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,354 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

As a calgary fan, i hope flames tank at the trade deadline coming season and go for the first overall pick :)

I personally wouldn't want potentially the next Crosby in the same division as the Canucks ;)

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#32 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,197 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

So does this mean they are not re-building? If so, good news for Canucks fans. No Cgy rebuild means 1 less goalie (Kipper) on the market this summer- thus increasing Lu's value.

#33 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,416 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

Looks like Feaster is following Sutter in the anything but rebuild mode.

Subbancopy.jpg

#34 EternalCanuckFan

EternalCanuckFan

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

I hope that contract is bonus laden...

#35 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

Most of you don't seem too familiar with Cervenka. In a discussion I had with followers of international hockey, the general consensus was that the best player currently outside of the NHL is Roman Cervenka. Mikael Granlund, Vladimir Tarasenko, and former-Oiler Patrick Thoresen were also discussed, though Cervenka seemed to be the obvious answer.

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1143885

He had 61 points in 51 games last year with Jaromir Jagr, and led the KHL in playoff scoring this year with 11 goals and 10 assists in 20 games. Jaromir Jagr has raved about Cervenka, hoping he would sign with an NHL club last year. As a result, many fans have been keeping an eye on his status. He will likely become the Flames' second-line centerman, if not their top-line center.

I believe Feaster when he says other teams have been inquiring about Cervenka. The Czech's name is frequently discussed by followers of international hockey, and many believe he has the skill to be an impact player in the NHL. I don't expect him to be nearly as impactful as Alexander Radulov, but if he can make the adjustment, he can be a very serviceable, offensive player for the Calgary Flames.

We'll need to see how well he performs. $3.775 million is a gamble, but if he can meet expectations, it will be worth it. He could very well end up being a lot like Patrick Thoreson, or he could be a piece that the Flames may want in the future. Nobody knows how well he will do in the NHL, so a one-year deal makes sense. We'll just have to see if he can live up to expectations.

He is regarded as one of the top players outside of the NHL, and has Jagr's blessings, so we'll see how he does next year.

Edited by WeatherWise, 02 May 2012 - 11:30 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#36 EDLER.IS.BEAST

EDLER.IS.BEAST

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,310 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:42 AM

Top 6 potential.

Also, this pretty much ends Jokinen's run in Calgary.

He will out produce Kesler next season. Friendly wager anybody?

Posted Image

#37 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,048 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:01 AM

Most of you don't seem too familiar with Cervenka. In a discussion I had with followers of international hockey, the general consensus was that the best player currently outside of the NHL is Roman Cervenka. Mikael Granlund, Vladimir Tarasenko, and former-Oiler Patrick Thoresen were also discussed, though Cervenka seemed to be the obvious answer.

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1143885

He had 61 points in 51 games last year with Jaromir Jagr, and led the KHL in playoff scoring this year with 11 goals and 10 assists in 20 games. Jaromir Jagr has raved about Cervenka, hoping he would sign with an NHL club last year. As a result, many fans have been keeping an eye on his status. He will likely become the Flames' second-line centerman, if not their top-line center.

I believe Feaster when he says other teams have been inquiring about Cervenka. The Czech's name is frequently discussed by followers of international hockey, and many believe he has the skill to be an impact player in the NHL. I don't expect him to be nearly as impactful as Alexander Radulov, but if he can make the adjustment, he can be a very serviceable, offensive player for the Calgary Flames.

We'll need to see how well he performs. $3.775 million is a gamble, but if he can meet expectations, it will be worth it. He could very well end up being a lot like Patrick Thoreson, or he could be a piece that the Flames may want in the future. Nobody knows how well he will do in the NHL, so a one-year deal makes sense. We'll just have to see if he can live up to expectations.

He is regarded as one of the top players outside of the NHL, and has Jagr's blessings, so we'll see how he does next year.

Sergei Shirokov was a top scorer in the KHL too.

Just sayin.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#38 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,894 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

Just sayin.

Shirokov would have, in my opinion, been a more effective player than some of our second-line alternatives this year (i.e. Mason Raymond). He had a career year and has achieved new accomplishments, such as a KHL All Star appearance, and an appearance at this year's IIHF World Hockey Championship in Helsinki and Stockholm. As I stated in another thread, Shirokov has opened the eyes of many followers of international hockey, and many believe he could be a darkhorse for the 2014 Olympic team.

Would Shirokov be a useful top-six forward for some NHL teams? Absolutely. He brings creativity, vision and offense to whichever team he plays for. Unfortunately for us, the Canucks cast aside players like him and Michael Grabner.

He would be a welcome addition to many NHL rosters. Roman Cervenka has the potential to be as well. It's a smart deal for Calgary. If it works out and Cervenka thrives, the Flames will have found themselves a relatively young, top-line player who can be re-signed at the end of the season. If it doesn't work out, they can let him go. By giving such a highly-touted player a chance to prove himself, this becomes a very low risk-high reward deal.

Edited by WeatherWise, 03 May 2012 - 05:28 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#39 Dr.G

Dr.G

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

Top 6 potential.

Also, this pretty much ends Jokinen's run in Calgary.

He will out produce Kesler next season. Friendly wager anybody?

WOOWWW I can't believe you actually think this guy is that good. Kesler will be a 35 g, 35 a man again next year. And you think this KHL plug will outscore him? I thought only Feaster was delusional, but I guess there must be something in the air in the city of Calgary.

#40 Dr.G

Dr.G

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Just sayin.

I still think Shirokov would've been a decent player in this league had he been given the opportunity on this team. He got 1 goal in 2 games in the last season he was here which earned him 4th line minutes followed by a demotion. Young players cannot start on an AV team. He gives stupendous support and confidence to players such as Raymond that should not be in the line-up. AV does NOT do well with prospects.

Even Kassian - he was put with Kesler and Booth for a bit. First game, nothing happened; second game, 1g 1a; third game drew a penalty shot in first minute. And they actually looked pretty good together. But after that third game, he saw nothing more than the 4th line. Make sense? Nope. But that's AV.

#41 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

Oh and, his contract is 925k with incentive bonuses.

Basically a max entry level contract

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#42 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

This means little. Shouldn't even be in the same sentence with Tarasenko and Granlund, who are both considered prospects and will have time to develop and slowly get used to the NHL if necessary. Cervenka is 26 and has exactly one year to prove his worth.

Cervenka may be a good skilled player, but he will have to adjust to a smaller rink in the NHL, and has one year to do so, being paid as much as a first overall would. He is now facing pressure and expected to put up points right away. This is why Brunnstrom failed. It's because he had no time to develop. I see people compare him to Jagr, but Jagr's been in the NHL before. It's a huge difference and from the flames writers, he is expected to replace Jokinen, who is a 60+ point guy. The expectations are insane.

Anyways, I'll enjoy watching to see how this turns out. Calgary had to do something anyways. So good for them but I'm not too overly optimistic because we hear about these guys all the time. Over aged, skilled, and soft forwards that dominate in other leagues but completely fail in the NHL. Reminds me of Linus Omark.

As for Shirokov. Sure, he would probably be a decent support player, but why would he stay here. He would have never been a core player in the NHL. He's a 2nd/3rd line supporting player like Sergei Samsonov. Why would guys play in the NHL, for less and a smaller roll. They are all better staying in the KHL and be a star at home, and making big bucks. If you are talking about guys with elite skill like Radoluv, now those guys can get big money and be stars here, but Shirokov, Omark, and probably Cervenka just aren't typically guys that have a reason to stay in the NHL.

Edited by Rey, 03 May 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#43 Toews

Toews

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

Why are so many of you bashing the signing, its 3.775mil IF he hits his bonuses. To a team with space he is the perfect low risk high reward kind of player. Good luck to him in Calgary, if everything works out, he might just slot into their #2 center spot.

#44 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'm no flames fan by any means, but there were multiple teams pursuing him because he's been regarded as one of the best players not in the NHL the last few years. To sign any high end talent without giving up an asset to acquire him is a worthwhile risk. If he hits all his bonuses and earns the 3.7 mill then he played very well and it was well worth it. If he fails and doesn't make his bonuses then he is basically an average or below nhl average salary they paid. Great move by the Flames.

#45 Matthew Lombardi 18

Matthew Lombardi 18

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Your team wont out produce anyone next season, maybe the likes of Columbus, or the Islanders, maybe the Oilers. Kesler is an NHL star, this chump from the KHL is a nobody, have fun with that, and many more years with no playoffs.

There's rules against Canuck fans "trolling" or antagonizing other fans of other teams...

So we are officially in a bit of a silly season, and in general I stay away from the completely crazy rumors that persist on the internet, or in the case of the Leafs having interest in Nabokov or Turco I will occasionally debunk them...however, I have been getting inundated with emails, PMs, and questions on twitter regarding a few rumors that are out there...so here goes.. I will address the rumors and follow with what I have or haven't heard...If you all like this format, maybe Wacky Wednesdays could be a regular feature. I wouldn't do it more than once a week, because I am too busy talking to actual sources and attempting to provide you all with as much unique information as possible.

Too busy talking to actual sources? lolwut

Posted Image

Signature designed by Morrison_rocks7 - thanks!

#46 Matthew Lombardi 18

Matthew Lombardi 18

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

Why are so many of you bashing the signing, its 3.775mil IF he hits his bonuses. To a team with space he is the perfect low risk high reward kind of player. Good luck to him in Calgary, if everything works out, he might just slot into their #2 center spot.

What do you expect? It's the same reactionary attitudes of many Canuck fans.

So we are officially in a bit of a silly season, and in general I stay away from the completely crazy rumors that persist on the internet, or in the case of the Leafs having interest in Nabokov or Turco I will occasionally debunk them...however, I have been getting inundated with emails, PMs, and questions on twitter regarding a few rumors that are out there...so here goes.. I will address the rumors and follow with what I have or haven't heard...If you all like this format, maybe Wacky Wednesdays could be a regular feature. I wouldn't do it more than once a week, because I am too busy talking to actual sources and attempting to provide you all with as much unique information as possible.

Posted Image

#47 Flying Man

Flying Man

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

I really want the Flames to make the playoffs so we can play them and make a bigger rivalry, it'd be great!
Posted Image

#48 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,218 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

Whats next?

They gunna name him captain too? Cya Iginla ;)

zackass.png

#49 The Wizard of AZ

The Wizard of AZ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

Cervenka <3. Maybe Stepanek will land a job somewhere in the NHL as well.

Posted Image

#50 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,787 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Haha guy's already 26, and hasn't played one single NHL game, and feaster is giving the guy almost 4 mill?? Keep em comin Jay! I'm lovin this, flames are such crap, what a horrible organization. :towel:

Wow, what a stupid move. This team needs a legitimate center for the 1st or 2nd line unit. That is the biggest need for the organization and Feaster has already blown it. The only way this works is if he compeltely blows the whole team apart, gets rid of Iggy and Kypper, as well as anyone else they can ship out of town and look to the Oilers example of sucking for the next 5 years straight ... I mean sucking more than they already do.

LOL

What a bad joke for Flames fans.

Reminds me of when I heard they resigned Tanguay and Jokinen. I was drunk and thought it was a joke. It was and it wasn't. Ha ha ha aha ha ahahahaahahahahahha.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#51 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:19 AM

I'm no flames fan by any means, but there were multiple teams pursuing him because he's been regarded as one of the best players not in the NHL the last few years. To sign any high end talent without giving up an asset to acquire him is a worthwhile risk. If he hits all his bonuses and earns the 3.7 mill then he played very well and it was well worth it. If he fails and doesn't make his bonuses then he is basically an average or below nhl average salary they paid. Great move by the Flames.

This x100

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#52 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

There's rules against Canuck fans "trolling" or antagonizing other fans of other teams...

Don't even start the trolling thing, this is my opinion, not a fake one to antagonize flames fans, and if they are bothered by it, maybe they shouldnt read it, or better yet, take their garbage back to calgarypuck.com. Truth hurts huh?
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#53 Matthew Lombardi 18

Matthew Lombardi 18

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Wow, what a stupid move. This team needs a legitimate center for the 1st or 2nd line unit. That is the biggest need for the organization and Feaster has already blown it. The only way this works is if he compeltely blows the whole team apart, gets rid of Iggy and Kypper, as well as anyone else they can ship out of town and look to the Oilers example of sucking for the next 5 years straight ... I mean sucking more than they already do.

LOL

What a bad joke for Flames fans.

Reminds me of when I heard they resigned Tanguay and Jokinen. I was drunk and thought it was a joke. It was and it wasn't. Ha ha ha aha ha ahahahaahahahahahha.

It's only 900 k plus performance bonuses for an entry level contract...

Performance bonuses that kick in if he outperforms.

Stupid move it is not.

But Feaster "guaranteeing" Calgary's playoffs before the start of the season was really dumb, even if Calgary JUST BARELY missed the playoffs. I don't see a need for a GM to make that kind of "bold" statement.

Edited by Matthew Lombardi 18, 09 May 2012 - 07:18 PM.

Posted Image

#54 Matthew Lombardi 18

Matthew Lombardi 18

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Don't even start the trolling thing, this is my opinion, not a fake one to antagonize flames fans, and if they are bothered by it, maybe they shouldnt read it, or better yet, take their garbage back to calgarypuck.com. Truth hurts huh?

I only start it because it's written under Rule 8 - but if it's really your opinion, fair enough.

Kesler is good but he's been injured a few times already. I'm not sure if an unhealthy Kesler can produce the same amounts of points as he has done for you guys.

He's also said to be injured for 6 months, which of course would put him in the exact same spot as he was last year, therefore missing valuable offseason/preseason training. To be blunt, I wouldn't bet anything on Kesler doing anything next year. He needs some serious rest.

Edited by Matthew Lombardi 18, 09 May 2012 - 07:22 PM.

Posted Image

#55 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:18 PM

This is exactly right. I believe the way it is set up that he if he plays top 6 minutes, scores over 20, over 30 assists and a good plus minus he'll make around the 1.8million, the only way he will make the 3.7 is if he starts winning some of the NHL awards. So he doesn't cost the flames that much to try out with and if he does reach his bonuses he will be worth the $$$. The 3.7 how ever does affect the cap hit even if he doesn't make the bonuses. But even still its basically a win win for calgary. They only signed him for 1 year, meaning if he doesn't work out, oh well. And flames understand that they are not in contention for the cup next year so it's not like they have to save cap room for that one or two missing pieces. Teams like Vancouver, that cap space it ever so important it might be that one million that makes parise type UFA sign with someone else while teams like calgary understand the big UFA are not going to sign there when they are no where close to winning a cup. It's actually a great move by the flames a team that can afford to take a risk on a guy, They don't expect him to be the saviour to carry them to the cup next year but hope that maybe he will pan out to a top 2 center roll.

#56 Chip Kelly

Chip Kelly

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,389 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

I remember the announcers were raving about this guy as someone to keep a close eye on when talking about NHL teams being interested in him in the 2010 olympics.

fyo3s9.jpg

Credit to Mr.DirtyDangles for the find and Twilight Sparkle for making a sick siggy!

#57 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

I'll also get in on this if that's alright with you both.

No way a player who's never played North American hockey before out produces Kesler with a full off season.

Looks like that full off-season for Kesler might be spent recovering from surgery... :P lol. Regardless, i think he'll still have a good season.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.