The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When Will Schroeder Be Nhl Ready?

I love going to watch our prospects play, and unfortunaly now that the AHL team is in Chicago I only get to see them once rather than 4 times, but I'll tell you one thing, even though I only saw one game this year, Schroeder's skating has improved leaps and bounds from last year. He is a beautiful skater! He'll be good, I don't care how small he is.

Lots of good talk and opinions on his play in the /topic/240220-jordan-schroeder-talk/">Jordan Schroeder Talk thread in the Canucks Prospects forum.

My opinion: he's very close and will offer a different look from what we have, but I'm not sure if he'd be ready for a top 6 role or better as a checking center than Pahlsson, Manny or Lappy.

He will be ready by next season. It's just a matter of if the staff feel he'll fit with what they're trying to do.

Perhaps he can play 2nd line RW

Many want to slot in as the 3rd line C position which I want him to play

He lacks size but does stay physical. Just depends if that size and play is good enough for the coaching staff

I don't think that Schroeder will be playing on our roster anytime in the foreseeable future.

He is not as good as Hodgson was, and he is tiny... which goes directly against what MG talked about in getting bigger.

On a team with a bigger set of top 6 forwards, Schroeder may have a chance... but I don't see it with ours.

First order of business: to the OP, I sure hope he'll make it in the fall as Kesler's right wing. Hope he can pan out as a play-making Brian Gionta type, with good speed, intensity and shot. From what I've seen in the AHL, I've liked his play so far, so hope he can make it!

Now, next order

Hey Wheels22,

Your making it sound like its bad that Burrows, Edler, and Kesler bring more to the table than offensive players. Maybe the reason why offensive minded players arent sticking with the team is because the Canucks want more dynamic players on their team. There are very few NHLers now that succeed in the NHL as only offensive-minded players...There are SOME, but they are elite. Even Ovechkin has been told to be more defensive minded.....The Canucks want to develop Schroeder to play more defensively, as well keep his offensive skill....*shrugs*

Haven't we learned not to trade prospects before giving them a chance?

If Schroeder is too small, or not good enough defensively for this team, then we need to build him into an asset that can be traded.

Right now his value isn't very high since he hasn't played in the NHL. The worst thing you can do is trade a player like him right now.

Just look at what Boston did with Phil Kessel. They got two forst round picks and a second round pick. Not that anyone would be dumb enough to trade that for Schroeder, but the point is, they waited until Kessel was worth something until they traded him.

We can't just treat him as a throw in in another trade like we did with Grabner.

Haven't we learned not to trade prospects before giving them a chance?

If Schroeder is too small, or not good enough defensively for this team, then we need to build him into an asset that can be traded.

Right now his value isn't very high since he hasn't played in the NHL. The worst thing you can do is trade a player like him right now.

Just look at what Boston did with Phil Kessel. They got two forst round picks and a second round pick. Not that anyone would be dumb enough to trade that for Schroeder, but the point is, they waited until Kessel was worth something until they traded him.

We can't just treat him as a throw in in another trade like we did with Grabner.

I love going to watch our prospects play, and unfortunaly now that the AHL team is in Chicago I only get to see them once rather than 4 times, but I'll tell you one thing, even though I only saw one game this year, Schroeder's skating has improved leaps and bounds from last year. He is a beautiful skater! He'll be good, I don't care how small he is.

Archived