The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

President's Trophy Is A Product Of A Weak Division

Bobby_Lu1ngo

What do you guys think?

In my opinion the canucks only came away with the presidents trophy this year because our division was so weak and we were able to take so many points from our division members.

Looking at the regular season standings it would be easy to say that the pacific division is a weak division but I think its the opposite, it may be one of the strongest division which is why the points are divided so evenly as they are playing each other for a majority of the year.

The Atlantic division is probably the strongest with 4 teams over 100 points and 3 teams still in the hunt for the cup.

The northwest division is weak with only the canucks as a legitimate cup contender but the presidents trophy gave the canucks loftier expectations. We faced a team that has been playing much harder games within their division all year and it's no surprise that they came in to the series guns a blazing while we continued to coast thinking we'd get victories like we have all year within the division. If the canucks were in any other division i doubt they would have been the top seeded team in all reality.

I just watch the way the canucks have played all year compared to these teams left in the playoffs and it's obvious there was a lack of tenacity and hunger to go out and get wins.

It's too bad because I think that the re-aligment of the conferences may have been the best thing for the canucks out of anything right now.

You can make the same case about pretty much every President's trophy winner. You have to win the games they schedule and we did a better job of that than anyone for the past two years. I don't understand why people feel it necessary to downplay the significance of the accomplishment.

Good post, the OP pretty much nailed it, because we are in a weak div right now it has unfortunately caused our team to become lazy. It is good that they went out first round, maybe it will serve as a wake up call to the team and force them to refocus.

This is the best team Van has ever had, and there are huge expectations, hopefully they can live up to them,

Ha that's a fun fact about the Av; I know that we kicked their butts a ton this year. The Wild looked like they might be the real deal, but injuries killed them they don't have any depth. oh well it'll only get better if the move the jets into our division

If you take out the divisional games (for all teams) Vancouver would be 3rd in the west behind St. Louis and Detroit. So while they may have done well against their division, they also did well against the other divisions. Vancouver got 37 points from playing the NW division, but Calgary also got 33 points playing that division and look where they finished? Some teams do well against a certain style of play. It's hard to say if they were in a different divison that they wouldn't have won the Presidents trophy. They were 40-16-8 against the west. No one else in the west had a record that good against the west (again you can argue it was divisional games), except Nashville, who also dominated their own divison (which by your argument is a strong division). While I agree that it helped them win games down the stretch when they weren't playing as well as their potential, you can't over look the fact that they also had a good record against the stronger divisions. Canucks are out of the playoffs, which is unfortunate, but winning the season doesn't guaruntee anything when it comes to play offs. If you enter the playoffs hot, or had a good end to the season (like the Kings), or made some changes near the end that made your team better (like the Kings), your position doesn't necessarily reflect your ability. St. Louis is also down 2-0 to the Kings and they were really close to winning the president's trophy as well (in a strong division).

I say be proud of the accomplishments of the Canucks. There is no sense dissecting it and claiming they only did as well as they did due to their schedule (which is the toughest schedule travel wise in the league, but no one seems to be bringing that up and to me it was obvious that they were tired at the end of the season which was probably partly due to their schedule) and look forward to the potential for next season. They didn't win the Stanley Cup this year, doesn't mean they wont make a good run next year.

It is true that the playing in the Northwest Division probably allowed the Canucks to get 5 or 6 more points than they would have gotten playing in, say, the Pacific Division or the Central Division given they play 6 games against other division teams but only 4 against other Conference teams.

If the Canucks had swapped Divisions with, say, Chicago, Detroit, Nashville or St. Louis they probably would have swapped places in the overall standings as well. Take away 2 games each with Edmonton, Calgary, Colorado and Minnesota and replace them with two extra games against Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis and Detroit and life would be tougher.

Not to mention the fact that the Canucks had more than their share of good luck and good bounces down the stretch -- and then did not get the bounces in the playoffs.

This point has been made before, but it is true. No way the Canucks were the best regular season team this year. Top 5 maybe, but not the best.

This is one reason I cannot really understand all the talk about how great AV is for winning another President's Cup. I think the Canucks underperformed this year relative to the available talent and, in particular, were not ready for the playoffs -- basically throwing away the first two games and certainly not rising to the occasion. AV has to take responsibility for that.

Good post, the OP pretty much nailed it, because we are in a weak div right now it has unfortunately caused our team to become lazy. It is good that they went out first round, maybe it will serve as a wake up call to the team and force them to refocus.

This is the best team Van has ever had, and there are huge expectations, hopefully they can live up to them,

Archived