The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

President's Trophy Is A Product Of A Weak Division

Bobby_Lu1ngo

That's a myth. There is no such thing as a weak division, or even a weak team.

The league is more balanced now than ever before.

Infact the North-west division, has a winning record against all 3 Eastern divisions combined.

NW Division vs 3 Eastern Divisions = 43 wins 33 losses 14 ot. (you call that weak ?)

If the league played all teams equally, you would see the Western teams with more points than the Eastern ones.

What do you guys think?

In my opinion the canucks only came away with the presidents trophy this year because our division was so weak and we were able to take so many points from our division members.

Looking at the regular season standings it would be easy to say that the pacific division is a weak division but I think its the opposite, it may be one of the strongest division which is why the points are divided so evenly as they are playing each other for a majority of the year.

The Atlantic division is probably the strongest with 4 teams over 100 points and 3 teams still in the hunt for the cup.

The northwest division is weak with only the canucks as a legitimate cup contender but the presidents trophy gave the canucks loftier expectations. We faced a team that has been playing much harder games within their division all year and it's no surprise that they came in to the series guns a blazing while we continued to coast thinking we'd get victories like we have all year within the division. If the canucks were in any other division i doubt they would have been the top seeded team in all reality.

I just watch the way the canucks have played all year compared to these teams left in the playoffs and it's obvious there was a lack of tenacity and hunger to go out and get wins.

It's too bad because I think that the re-aligment of the conferences may have been the best thing for the canucks out of anything right now.

Guess what? We only played teams in our division 2 more times than the rest of the conference.

Besides, Canucks played better against tougher teams anyways. The argument that we won the P because of a weak division makes no sense.

The Canucks got outplayed by the Flames and Oilers at times during the season, and then on the other hand they would dominate teams like Detroit, Chicago and other good teams....So enough of this dumb argument.

I disagree. If that was the case, then why weren't the Bruins better? The Northeast was almost as crappy, yet they ended up almost 10 points less than us in the overall standings. Add to that we were something like 11-6-3 against the toughest division in hockey currently, the Central, and we deserved our regular season success.

Well Because they had a tougher division, 3 other teams in that division had 100 points as well and they play those teams a lot, those are tough teams to get 2 points against otherwise they would have walked away with the PT.

Well "NuckFanLivinginCalgary:(" if you read the rest you would see that what i said makes sense.

The team has become LAZY! they had no fight in them that is why they lost, it is that simple!

to add to that I also wrote that hopefully the fact that they went out in the first round will serve as a wake up call and they will play with heart and effort next year.

The OP was right, and he did hit the nail on the head, as well i don't do drugs or drink!

Archived