Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 3 votes

Are The Canucks Going To Trade Av's Rights To Montreal?

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

As time goes by with no word about AV and with Montreal seeming to want AV it is beginning to appear that AV may be in Montreal next year.

However, AV is still under contract and if Montreal does want him there is nothing to say the Canucks cannot be compensated for letting him go. Would Montreal be willing to give up say a 2nd Round Draft Pick for the rights to talk to him and sign him? I think they might.

Edited by gradin123, 03 May 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#2 endtoend

endtoend

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

POPULAR

I think we should use AV in a package deal to bring in an elite player.

Edited by endtoend, 03 May 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#3 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

POPULAR

I don't believe there is any rule that allows you to trade coaches or management.

The Canucks, however, could give the Canadiens permission to talk to (and offer a contract to) AV in exchange for a a pick. I have never heard of a team giving up a roster player in this scenario.
Posted Image

#4 Giroux28

Giroux28

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

I remember a couple years back at the draft the Flames and Devils swapped spots in the 1st round, with like a 7th round pick going to the team moving down. The TSN guys said that it was the Flames doing the Devils a favour for letting them have Sutter, so maybe something like that could happen, but I doubt it with the 3rd overall pick.

Posted Image

Pacific Hockey League Commissioner | Colorado Avalanche General Manager

#5 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

I remember a couple years back at the draft the Flames and Devils swapped spots in the 1st round, with like a 7th round pick going to the team moving down. The TSN guys said that it was the Flames doing the Devils a favour for letting them have Sutter, so maybe something like that could happen, but I doubt it with the 3rd overall pick.

A 2nd Round Draft pick would be OK. Montreal has the 33rd overall draft pick too.(3rd pick in the 2nd round)

#6 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

AV + a 1st + Raymond for Weber. Sorry couldn't resist.

#7 Ron Swansons Moustache

Ron Swansons Moustache

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

And a 6th round for his gum.
http://Posted Image

#8 JustJokinen!

JustJokinen!

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

I've never heard of this happening in the NHL. It happened just last year in MLB though, Ozzie Guillen was traded to the Marlins from the White Sox. I can't remember what for.

#9 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Didn't we give up a 2nd for Marc Crawford?
Posted Image

#10 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

POPULAR

If we get rid of both AV and Luongo, this franchise will do a nose dive.

Why people want to run the most prolific winners in our teams history, out of town, is beyond me.

Some of you make me sick, and embarrassed to be Canucks fans.

#11 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

I think we should use AV in a package deal to bring in an elite player.

I hear they've got Scott Gomez

:bigblush:

#12 bure10fan

bure10fan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

are you serious

#13 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

Didn't we give up a 2nd for Marc Crawford?

I thought Crawford was in the broadcast booth when the Canucks hired him?
Posted Image

#14 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Why people want to run the most prolific winners in our teams history, out of town, is beyond me.

I am not even condoning getting rid of AV but am simply reading the writing on the wall and if AV is leaving the Canucks might as well at least try and get something for him.

#15 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

I hear they've got Scott Gomez

lol i was going to propose av for gomez.

#16 gordfish

gordfish

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

POPULAR

Boo-hoo.If you can't at least live with other people's opinions, why come to a forum at all?

#17 gocanuckzgo

gocanuckzgo

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

POPULAR

If you feel that the Canucks deserve compensation for the head coach that they're supposedly about to fire, then doesn't it stand to reason that that coach is good enough not to be fired?

#18 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

If you feel that the Canucks deserve compensation for the head coach that they're supposedly about to fire, then doesn't it stand to reason that that coach is good enough not to be fired?

There are other considerations. Like maybe AV wants out. He has only one year left and if he doesn't want to sign an extension perhaps you let him go back to his dream job in Montreal and get something back in return.

#19 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Why even contemplate such a senario?
Do we get rid of the winningest coach in Canuck history?
Do we get rid of the best GM MG that the Canucks have ever had?
Just because Montreal 'may' want AV, does that mean that we should give him to them? Montreal would probably want the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Hamhuis and Beiksa too but are we going to give them to them?
It is Vancouver's turn to take the spotlight now and with a bit of tweaking, the Canucks will win the Cup in the near future. The have 2 great goalies that most teams would be happy to have and we can't aford them both. Whichever one departs will bring a really good player or players coming this way and make the team better. This is shaping up to be a really exciting time to be a Canuck fan and the right guys are driving the boat.

Edited by bluesman60, 03 May 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#20 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,004 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Montreal already fired AV once I don't see him going back there
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#21 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:35 AM

Does anyone actually think there is a better coach on the market that could replace AV? Gillis has made it clear he wants to stick with AV but cannot commit without first speaking with ownership. If AV is fired I seriously question the judgement of the Canuck's ownership. AV is one of the best coaches in the NHL and has this team playing the best hockey they've ever played. Firing AV would be a band-aide solution that ignores the underlying causes to why the Canucks "struggled" last season by only winning a second consecutive president's trophy.

1) Who could possibly replace AV and what he brings to the team?

2) MacTavish is nowhere near as good of a coach as AV.

3) There are plenty of holes in the Canucks roster that need to be filled before coaching can be blamed for the teams "poor" performance.

- Raymond practically non-existent after returning from his injury
- Kassian not NHL ready and grossly underperformed
- Sedins in addition to Daniel's concussion both hugely underperformed
- Kesler did not return from his injury at 100% and appeared to be struggling with injuries for most of the season
- Bieksa seemed to be playing injured for most of the season
- Booth got injured just when he started to find his stride and underperformed upon his return
- Higgins always performed but injuries kept him sidelined and occasionally off his game
- Malhotra non-existent this season and a major detraction from the 4th line
- Salo faced several injuries and was having trouble down the stretch
- Edler had the worst playoff performance of his career
- Hodgson off-ice attitude greatly detracted from on ice-performance and relationship with team
- Lack of a consistent 4th line due to injuries

Teams need to be built from the ground up, not from the top down. A hardworking and tough-as-nails 4th line needs to be established (with suitable replacements for injured players), then a top shut down 3rd line, then the top 6. All extra players should either be used as depth players in case of injuries to the top 9, sent down or traded.

Players can be moved up in the lineup but it's a lot harder to move players down and still be successful due to the differences in roles. In other words it's easier to turn a grunt into a goal-scorer than a goal-scorer into a grunt. For example, Lapierre is gritty and hardworking and can fit into the top 6 when necessary despite being taylor made for the 4th line. This however cannot be said of the Sedins or Raymond, none of which could play on 4th line and not detract from the team as a whole.

Blaming AV's coaching for the teams poor performance is short-sighted and shows a serious lack of understanding of the game. While some of his decisions have caused me to scratch my head I understand that in a lot of cases his hands are tied by management due to player contracts and the inability to send underperforming "veterans" down to the AHL. If we lose AV, unless we are able to get Mike Babcock, Dan Bylsma, Paul MacClean, or Peter Laviolette be prepared to REALLY start complaining about the team's poor performance.

Edited by rbcanucks87, 03 May 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#22 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Four way deal:

To Tampa Bay: Roberto Luongo & Montreal's 1st round pick

To Montreal: Vincent Lecavalier, Alain Vigneault & Vancouver's 1st round pick.

To Nashville: Tomas Plekanec & Tampa's 1st round pick.

To Vancouver: Shea Weber.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#23 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Does anyone actually think there is a better coach on the market that could replace AV? Gillis has made it clear he wants to stick with AV but cannot commit without first speaking with ownership. If AV is fired I seriously question the judgement of the Canuck's ownership. AV is one of the best coaches in the NHL and has this team playing the best hockey they've ever played. Firing AV would be a band-aide solution that ignores the underlying causes to why the Canucks "struggled" last season by only winning a second consecutive president's trophy.

1) Who could possibly replace AV and what he brings to the team?

2) MacTavish is nowhere near as good of a coach as AV.

3) There are plenty of holes in the Canucks roster that need to be filled before coaching can be blamed for the teams "poor" performance.

- Raymond practically non-existent after returning from his injury
- Kassian not NHL ready and grossly underperformed
- Sedins both hugely underperformed in addition to Daniel's concussion
- Kesler did not return from his injury at 100% and appeared to be struggling with injuries for most of the season
- Bieksa seemed to be playing injured for most of the season
- Booth got injured just when he started to find his stride and underperformed upon his return
- Higgins always performed but injuries kept him sidelined and occasionally off his game
- Malhotra non-existent this season and a major detraction from the 4th line
- Salo faced several injuries and was having trouble down the stretch
- Edler had the worst playoff performance of his career
- Hodgson off-ice attitude greatly detracted from on ice-performance and relationship with team
- Lack of a consistent 4th line due to injuries

But what if AV wants to leave? Yes it is speculation but we don't know that he wants to stay here. He may very well rather take the Montreal job.

#24 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

I thought Crawford was in the broadcast booth when the Canucks hired him?

As compensation for releasing Crawford from his Colorado contract, the Canucks reportedly gave the Avalanche a second-round draft pick and $200,000. If the Canucks make the playoffs, the pick will be a first-rounder. They will also pay $200,000 for each playoff round they win.

http://articles.lati.../sports/sp-1574

Posted Image

#25 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,871 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Personally, I think the Canucks should keep him on for at least another year. One day, as it is unlikely that he will remain as the Canucks' coach until he retires, they will have to fire him and he will still be the winningest coach in Canuck history.
Posted Image

#26 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,502 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Didn't we get a 2nd rounder from Anaheim for letting them hire Carlyle?

It would certainly explain the silence about what is going on with the coach.
Posted Image

#27 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Just because Montreal 'may' want AV, does that mean that we should give him to them? Montreal would probably want the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Hamhuis and Beiksa too but are we going to give them to them?
It is Vancouver's turn to take the spotlight now and with a bit of tweaking, the Canucks will win the Cup in the near future. We have 2 great goalies that most teams would be happy to have and we can't aford them both. Whichever one departs will bring a really good player or players coming this way and make the team better. This is shaping up to be a really exciting time to be a Canuck fan and the right guys are driving the boat.

Agreed whole-heartedly.

AV has one year left on his contract, if the team underperforms next season I have no doubt he will be let go but the current issues with the team needs to be addressed before firing AV should even be a thought in anyone's mind.

Edited by rbcanucks87, 03 May 2012 - 12:01 PM.

#28 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

I've never heard of this happening in the NHL. It happened just last year in MLB though, Ozzie Guillen was traded to the Marlins from the White Sox. I can't remember what for.

it happen twice ,Theo Epstien ( Red Sox GM ) went to the cubs and they had to work out a compensation package that ended up being a minor leaguer
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#29 ChipDR

ChipDR

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

I love the Hockey style the Canucks play and that is a product of AV and what I call the "Sedin's way of play". The Sedin's way is selfless, make the play that leads to the best chance at a goal. We all love watching Henrik come down off centre, bringing the play to him and getting a good scoring chance only to disk the puck at the last second to get a spectacular goal. That style is what AV enforces and develops. We are the top team in the leauge because of AV.

Now, if we were to somehow loose him, sure get as much as you can. Montreal would love to have him, along with most of the teams. Not going to happen.

#30 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

It is Vancouver's turn to take the spotlight now and with a bit of tweaking, the Canucks will win the Cup in the near future. The have 2 great goalies that most teams would be happy to have and we can't aford them both. Whichever one departs will bring a really good player or players coming this way and make the team better. This is shaping up to be a really exciting time to be a Canuck fan and the right guys are driving the boat.

that got me laughing
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.