The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We Need To Get A #2 Centre This Summer, Kesler Should Be Playing Wing

Nucks-4-Life

Our 2nd line absolutely killed us this year. It was a black hole, sucking all the talent out of everyone who played on it. Something drastic needs to be done to elevate this team and take it to the next level.

Ryan Kesler, whether you love him or hate him, is a pure shooter. He is not a playmaking, puck distributing centreman. He experienced his most success when playing wing with Sundin and Demitra. If the coaching staff wants to keep Booth as a 2nd line winger as well they need a big, strong playmaking centre to distribute the puck to these guys.

One guys who comes to mind is Jordan Staal. He has once again shown his displeasure with his lack of icetime and being stuck as the #3 center in Pittsburgh for the forseeable future. His becomes a UFA next summer, Pitts management knows they will have a tough time re-signing him, and may look to move him this summer. Staal's cap hit is 4.5 million. If we trade Luongo and re-sign Schneider for around 3.5, that free's up 2 million. If we bury Malhotra in the minors, that free's up another 2.5.

We have the room to make this happen, the only question is, who will we send the other way? As we all know, Pittsburgh is always in need of cheap, skilled wingers to play with Crosby and Malkin. We could send them Raymond and Ballard and a 2nd round pick for Jordan Staal straight up. I believe this is more than enough for Pitts management let go of an asset they know they will definitely lose in 1 year's time. Only untouchable in my mind right now is Jensen. Send them Schroeder if it makes the deal happen. I believe Jensen is ready to step into the NHL and atleast match Raymond's point totals from last year.

Here is a proposed forward line-up after the trade:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Kesler-Staal-Booth

Higgins-Pahlson-Hansen

Weise-Lapierre-Kassian

Jensen

Proposed Power play units:

#1: Kesler-Sedin-Sedin

#2: Burrows/Higgins-Staal-Booth

Imagine how tough it would be for opposing lines to match up to Kesler-Staal-Booth.

I don't want to turn this into a trade proposal thread. What do you guys think of shifting Kesler to the wing and going after a playmaking #2 centre this summer?

I'm not gonna lie, I agree.

The way Kesler plays is more suited for a winger position. As I see it a center should be a playmaker more than a sniper.

But in the end that's not our greatest worry. I think defense is a priority right now.

nah **** stall. After what happened this year i would love to see my least favorite player on our team... Jarome Iginla

Him and the canucks NEED the same thing the Cup.

And Its up to him where he plays cause the organization respects him that much that he will get that decision

nah **** stall. After what happened this year i would love to see my least favorite player on our team... Jarome Iginla

Him and the canucks NEED the same thing the Cup.

And Its up to him where he plays cause the organization respects him that much that he will get that decision

Why don't we just let him play centre and get a winger? I mean when he had crazy stats the last couple of seasons, it wasn't because he played on the wing. It was because he had a crazy (unsustainable) shooting percentage, and our power play was ridiculously good, which is where he scored a lot of his goals.

Kesler is a natural centreman and is all over the ice who enjoys the responsibilities of a centre. Just get a good top 6 forward. The end.

The way I see it, if Schroeder has a good summer and is ready next season, he would be the perfect centerman. He would have two bigger powerforwards on his wings, so his lack of size wouldn't really be an issue.

And for anyone who has actually seen Schroeder player, he's a better passer than Hodgson, and has the speed to play with Kesler and Booth.

Booth Schroeder Kesler

I'd love to see Staal on this team. I was thinking about Staal as a possible off-season aquisition.

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows

Booth-Staal-Kesler

Higgins-Pahlsson/Malhotra-Hanson

Volpatti-Lapierre-Weise

*Duco-*Bitz-*Pinizzotto

If we had Staal on our team it would really solidify our top 6 (top 9) forward lines. The only holes I see right now is on our 2nd and 4th lines. Lapierre and Weise were solid all last season but the left side really fell apart after Volpatti was injured. As much as I love Manny as our 3rd line center he really isn't suited to play a 4th line role. I hope Pahlsson stays with the team but we really don't have room on our roster for both. If Manny can't pull it together I don't really see his value aside from his faceoff proficiency.

Archived