The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian

Happy Gilmore

I've seen a lot of ragging on Zack Kassian on this forum which is unwarranted. Dealing Hodgson may seem questionable right now, and the two will be compared for the rest of their careers, but there are many reasons Mike Gillis pulled the trigger on this deal.

First off, Kassian is only 21 years old with little experience in the American Hockey League. Hodgson spent most of the 2010-2011 season in the American Hockey League at the age of 20 and 21, and when he did play for the Canucks, he was not great. Next year I feel that Kassian needs to spend some time in the AHL getting 1st or 2nd line minutes to aid his development, and when he does come up to the NHL, he has the potential to be an impact player as soon as next season. Fans just need to be patient, as power forwards can take a few years to develop.

Fans have been demanding a power forward since the departure of Todd Bertuzzi, and Gillis delivered by trading for one of the best young power forward prospects in hockey.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Hodgson a lot as a Canuck and believe that he will be a great player, but I think that Kassian can also be a fantastic player for years to come.

Zack Kassian is all potential at the moment. He really hasn't had the time to show a whole lot at the NHL level. So it's gonna take time to see how this works with him. I liked Cody and was excited to see him making strides in his first full season. It got me thinking back to how the Sedins fared when they came over and I feel Cody in his first season is actually better than where Dan/Hank were. He stays on his feet better. People want to say Cody is too soft and won't be a factor and isn't fast enough. Sounds a whole lot like the early reviews on the Sedins to me.

My only issue with the trade is Cody has proved he can score at this level with limited icetime. To me that means he should of had more value. People who want to give Kassian time to develop should have been touting the same patience with Cody. Now I like Kassian as well but I feel as if he is a far greater "risk" as far as prospects go. But he does have other assets size and toughness that we lack as a team and in our prospect pool. Nobody can say with any certainty what will become of either player. Honestly I wish we had BOTH as I think these two players would work well as compliments to one another. I think the real reasons Cody was moved tended to come from his desire for more playing time and the development of Schroeder. If a player like Kassian wasn't available(someone who brought something different than our other prospects) than we'd probably have kept Cody.

To k-9

The fact that Bertuzzi was Kassians favorite player means nothing. Tyler Ennis is 5'9". Maybe Tyler Myers is who you were thinking of (d-man)

what was left out in this article was the context of the deal, the immediate playoff needs for the canucks heading into the los angeles series and what was missing aside from scoring....grit,toughness and winning battles.

so are we adding parts for the future or did we miss an opportunity to add to the immediate cycle of a championship calibre team like we are reported to be, this is not about kassian's ability to develop, this is about gillis mis-managing this whole situation for the present and not the future.

Great thread, lots of people seem to forget that this guy is only 21 and has already got the frame of an NHL PWF.

6'4" 230+lbs That's a BIG 21 y.o. Other than mayybe Tyler Ennis there aren't a lot of young guys

(by young I mean 23 or younger)

Who can boast the strength and size that Zach can.

Also, does anyone remember him on draft day? His favorite player - TODD BERTUZZI

He's got the fire and drive to be a dominant NHLer, and has been highly successful at every level that he's played. Top that off with a perfect role model in big BERT and this kid looks good. GIVE HIM TIME

and he will impress

Thanks

Another couple of idiots.

Do you realize that our management group is not trying to be good for only a few seasons? There is no freaking window. Where is this window you people speak of?? When the Sedins retire? Give me a break, by the time that happens we will have other younger players that will be good enough to take over those minutes.

How about we try to develop our youth in the minors until they are ready to fill significant roles on the big club? What's wrong with being good for years and years to come??? Why on earth do people think we should trade away the farm to get older more experienced players in order to be good for a few seasons? That is just a very stupid thing to do, as there is no guarantee to winning a cup, it's the hardest trophy to win.

The Stanley Cup isn't won on paper with players who have the best numbers people. The best road to success is to be consistently good and make the playoffs every year to contend for the cup, draft well and develop talent in the minors so we can be very good for decades to come. This so called ''window'' to win is one of the most idiotic ideas that floats around in peoples minds on here.

I'm just glad Mike Gillis understands this and is taking steps to ensure it.

Also note that Kassian was developed and played junior in Windsor, playing among players like Hall, Fowler, Henrique, Ellis....etc. I feel that Kass should be in pretty good shape coming from a winning organization in which he was exactly counted on as the big, physical scoring machine that Canucks fans expect him to be in the NHL.

I can't wait until the Canucks vs. Edmonton next year.....I'd love to see Kassian just destroy Hall.

I think this was partly why Gillis acquired Kassian- unfortunately he was not yet ready to contribute in the playoffs. He was also coming off a shoulder injury that may have inhibited him a bit, especially his physicality.

I agree somewhat with the belief that Vancouver should have kept Hodgson until the offseason, but would a player like Kassian have been available? Another thing is it's not like Hodgson would have swung the balance of power enough to give the Canucks a chance to win the series against LA.

People also forget that Vancouver received a future NHL defenseman in Gragnani. He was dominant in the AHL, winning the Eddie Shore award, and it's just a matter of time before he can make a bigger impact in the NHL.

Much better post on your opinion and not much many can say against what you have writtten, but the same observation could have been stated with Lucic, Bertuzzi, Neely just about every powerforward has had people asking "whats so special they disappear in games?". This is why people are saying give it time.

Kassian advantages relative to Hodgson

1 - speed

2 - size (even as a 21 yr old, the difference in the play of Lapierre was notable - team-mates play bigger with him in lineup)

3- character/team-player

4- fits a more vital/needed role

5- will not need to be sheltered defensively - responsible and effective two-way player at a young age

6- can play up and down the lineup effectively

7- has an extra year on his RFA contract at just over half what Hodgson was making

8- does not have an annoying agent who creates ridiculous ice-time controversies and will demand a Stamkosesque contract

9- is not the most over-rated young player in Canucks history and has not already been projected the next captaincy.

Hodgson's advantages

1- scored a nice goal in Boston

Great thread, lots of people seem to forget that this guy is only 21 and has already got the frame of an NHL PWF.

6'4" 230+lbs That's a BIG 21 y.o. Other than mayybe Tyler Ennis there aren't a lot of young guys

(by young I mean 23 or younger)

Who can boast the strength and size that Zach can.

Also, does anyone remember him on draft day? His favorite player - TODD BERTUZZI

He's got the fire and drive to be a dominant NHLer, and has been highly successful at every level that he's played. Top that off with a perfect role model in big BERT and this kid looks good. GIVE HIM TIME

and he will impress

Thanks

I'm an idiot for thinking a power forward will not be what people are making him up to be? He's going to be 3rd liner (IMO) and nothing more. On reflection, I probably should have added a little more depth to my initial comment.

Re Kassian; 3. "character/team-player"

- character player? are you kidding me? Should we forget all the suspensions? the run in with the law? the fact he's the dimmest watt bulb out there? that he's never been a captain? never been a leader? Is that what you call a character player?

The thing is, we need a power forward now...every team has a window of opportunity before they reach their demise (trades, age; unless your Detroit). The Canucks have 2 maybe 3 years to pull it off. Whatever we trade for should be for now, as this is when our team is pushing for the Cup.

Archived