The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zack Kassian

Happy Gilmore

Everyone who hates this trade, you don't know EVERYTHING about it. Kassian will play with the Sedins. I honestly saw Gillis in downtown Vancouver at the Canucks store, and I asked him personally, "are you grooming Kassian to play with the Sedins?" and Gillis said "we hope Kassian turns into the top power forward we know he can be, in due time we hope to see him play on the top two lines, one of those lines being with the Sedins, I believe him to be the complementary piece to play with two of the top finesse players in the world, and we will put Kassian on the top line eventually for a few games, we tried it out last season, and we will see how it goes instead of him having a few shifts, but have a few games." - I am excited for this, Kassian with the Sedins is beautiful. Power forward with two finesse players, protecting them, damn thats scary.

GO CANUCKS GO!

IMO he's not good enough and will never reach his potential. He couldn't make it on a struggling buffalo team yet Gillis expected him to help the Canucks in the playoffs? Yes, he needs experience and time to develop but I do not think he'll ever be more than 3rd/4th line plug in the NHL. I hope I'm wrong but I truly doubt it.

You say we need to be patient. I say as fans we've all been patient enough. If this guy isn't going to help us win a cup NEXT YEAR, then we shouldn't have traded for him. The core of our teams window is closing as we speak.

Still cannot come up with facts to support your opinion eh???

Here's some fact for yeah that should show you he has some promise:

-Memorial Cup

-World Juniors

-OHL All Star

-considered by most scouts as the most feared fighter and hitter in his draft year.

-led his junior team in penalty minutes (and those wernt minor penalties he was taking)

-fought NHL enforcers as a 20 year old.

All this before his 20th birthday. Not many power forward have accomplished this much so young.

We need to start calling him Zack "MF" Kassian. This kids gonna be a bad ass power forward, one that we haven't had since todd bertuzzi, remember those WCE days, we might not have made deep runs into the playoffs, but we were a team not to be F&*(&^d with. I look at that team with such fondness, remember CLOUTIER getting involved in scrums.

Kassian advantages relative to Hodgson

1 - speed

2 - size (even as a 21 yr old, the difference in the play of Lapierre was notable - team-mates play bigger with him in lineup)

3- character/team-player

4- fits a more vital/needed role

5- will not need to be sheltered defensively - responsible and effective two-way player at a young age

6- can play up and down the lineup effectively

7- has an extra year on his RFA contract at just over half what Hodgson was making

8- does not have an annoying agent who creates ridiculous ice-time controversies and will demand a Stamkosesque contract

9- is not the most over-rated young player in Canucks history and has not already been projected the next captaincy.

Hodgson's advantages

1- scored a nice goal in Boston

Kassian is simply something this team doesnt have toughness and grit.

If his Potential pans out great if not then he better play with that toughness and grit.

Really the move made sence vancouver doesnt need another Raymond or Sedin we need a player like Backes or Big Bert #44 <3

He didn't really get to showcase his tough side in the playoffs because he barely played. Zack Kassian should start in the AHL next year, and I will no problem with that. He was actually one of their best fowards for the SAbres farm team while he was there. Lets just hope he developes into a top 6 player.

No I wasn't and you sound dumb for making these assumptions and mocking me just because I don't believe that Kassian will be anything more than a 3rd liner. Yes, I know 21 is young and that is why I still thought Cody was going to be better but I just don't see anything spectacular with Kassian.

He didn't really get to showcase his tough side in the playoffs because he barely played. Zack Kassian should start in the AHL next year, and I will no problem with that. He was actually one of their best fowards for the SAbres farm team while he was there. Lets just hope he developes into a top 6 player.

What assumptions, if you don't what to be mocked then post with more insight; why do you think he will not be anything more than a 3rd liner? what do you see in his limited time in Van that leads you to believe your assumption; his skating, his passing, his postitioning on the ice ect. Give some insight that you know how to evaluate a player! Because I have seen small samples of spectacular from Kassian, sorry if you were unable to see the same, but he does have a lot of upside and a lot to learn.

Kassian will be a player who really will not have a tag on him as a first, second, third or fourth line player. he will be a player who can play any where in the line up. When he is playing good he will be on the first line. When he is ok he will get shifts with the second line and third. When he goes into a slump he will get third and fourth line shifts. Once he has reached the top of his game he will be considered a second line player who can play on the first line and bottom six.

Archived