The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New York Islanders Offseason

I was thinking about how bad the Islanders have been for such a long time and how badly they must want to turn it around before all their young talent goes to waste.

The way I see it they have a superstar center in John Tavares but no surrounding help what so ever. Matt Moulson has scoring touch and definitely works on Tavares' wing and although Parenteau is a good passer, I think his numbers are inflated from playing with Tavares and he is not actually a top line player.

Therefore I would decide to let Parenteau walk.

I would also let these following players walk:

Jay Pandolfo, Mark Eaton, Milan Jurcina, Steve Staois, Dylan Reese.

That is every single defenseman with an expiring contract. The Islanders have had possibly the worst defense in the NHL for a long time now and needs to be completely revamped.

Then on Draft Day I think it would be time for Garth Snow to get extremely aggressive via trade:

Trade #1)

To San Jose: Michael Grabner, Josh Bailey, NYI 2nd round pick

To NYI: Patrick Marleau

After Marleau's terrible playoffs and the fact that San Jose needs some sort of shakeup to remain a top team I think this deal could work for both sides.

San Jose gets two young forwards with a lot of upside that could provide depth scoring and could become key pieces of the Sharks moving forward.

New York gets a potential 40 goal scorer and a legitamite top winger to play with Tavares. I think that Tavares would become a 100 point scorer next season and Marleau would score at least 35 goals and could possibly return to ppg form.

Trade #2)

To Vancouver: 4th overall pick, Evgeni Nabokov, Scott Mayfield

To NYI: Roberto Luongo, Van 1st, Keith Ballard, Mason Raymond, Yann Sauve

I wonder what all you guys think of this deal as a Canucks fan?

The way I see it the Islanders may want Ryan Murray to be their future on defense along with Hamonic and de Haan. Unfortunately for them I think Murray goes in the top 3 and the Islanders could decide that they don't need another top forward like Grigorenko or Forsberg. Luongo would definitely give them stability in net and is the type of guy that could singlehandedly take a team to the playoffs. With guys like Tavares, Strome, Niederreiter and Okposo still in their system, I think Luongo would be more valuable so these guys can actually learn to win and continue developing. It is a very risky move but I think that if the Islanders want the most out of their young players they need to find them some help in net. Raymond and Ballard could also play big roles and could bring over a winning mentality from Vancouver.

The Canucks are going to probably have to trade Luongo and I can't see them finding anything else close to the value of a 4th overall pick. The Nucks pickup a future superstar along with a big defense prospect that was projected to go in the first round of last years draft and has shutdown potential. They also get Nabokov who would probably prefer to backup Schneider in Vancouver than Luongo in Long Island.

Then on July 1st the Islanders should remain aggressive and fill the rest of the holes in their lineup. Offer up big money to a lot of guys like Florida did last season. It sure worked for them.

Signings:

Olli Jokinen: 4 years/22 million (5.5mil per season)

Jokinen is the best center in free agency and would definitely bring offense to the 2nd line. With all the cap space the Isles have they can afford Jokinen at this price and I don't think it will turn out to be as big an overpayment as some may think. The big Finnish centerman has scored at least 20 goals in 8 of the last nine seasons, as well as over 50 points in 8 of the last nine seasons. He just scored 63 points playing 2nd line center in Calgary and could even improve on those numbers in the Eastern Conference playing behind a potent top line consisting of Tavares and Marleau.

David Jones: 4 years/14 million (3.5 per season)

The 6"2, 220 lbs winger would bring size and scoring to the Islanders lineup. He has scored 20 goals in back to back seasons and is one season removed from a 27 goal season. I don't think any other teams will offer him more money and he could be a very valuable role player for the Isles.

Michal Rozsival: 4 years/16 million (4.0 per season)

Rozsival is currently playing 20 minutes a night on a very responsible Phoenix Coyotes team. I think he could bring some stability to the blue line in Long Island and would be one of Luongo's favorite defensemen to have on the ice on his new team.

Bryce Salvador: 3 years/9 million (3.0 per season)

Another solid defenseman who has played a lot of minutes for the Devils who are known to be very defensively responsible. Salvador plays on the Devils penalty kill and like Rozsival is going deep in the playoffs this season and will be a lot more dependable than the Islanders current guys.

Greg Campbell: 3 years/7.5 million (2.5 per season)

A hard working and responsible centerman who will fight and do all the little things right would be a great veteran fourth line center and penalty killer for this Islanders team. He would also bring the Isles Stanley Cup winning expirience.

2012-13 New York Islanders Roster:

Patrick Marleau - John Tavares - Matt Moulson

David Jones - Olli Jokinen - Kyle Okposo

Mason Raymond - Frans Nielson - Nino Niederreiter

Matt Martin - Greg Campbell - Casey Cizikas

Michael Haley, Rhett Rakhshani

Mark Streit - Travis Hamonic

Keith Ballard - Michal Rozsival

Bryce Salvador - Calvin de Haan

Andrew MacDonald, Matt Donavan

Roberto Luongo

Al Montoya

Send Ryan Strome back to Juniors for another year.

Eat Dipietro's ridiculous contract in the minors (funny how the Isles will have two goalies under contract until their 40's)

I think this Islanders team would be very competative under proper coaching as soon as next season.

The offense has three effective scoring lines and would could potentially be better than expected with the possibilities of guys like Niederreiter and Okposo having breakout seasons. The fourth line would be a solid energy line that would work hard night in and night out.

The defense is much more solid than the past years defense in my opinion and hopefully Hamonic and de Haan can prove that they will be very good defensemen for years to come while they are surrounded by veterans.

Luongo will steal them plenty of games and Montoya would be a solid backup behind him.

I think this would be a playoff team.

What do you guys think?

Obviously this won't happen but I don't see why and of these deals are too unrealistic.

Trade #2)

I'm not the biggest fan of trading for an unproven future (as hyped as guys like Murray, Filip Forsberg or whoever the 4th pick can bring) and a prospect (along with Nabokov to back up, which I'm fine with); personally, I'd prefer to get Frans Nielsen as part of the deal, because with all the roster gaps that are filled and upgraded by Canuck players going back the other way (Ballard for Top 4, Lu as permanent starter) I'd want a substantial young roster player coming back the other way, even if it means having the pick drop to the 2nd round if it comes to that.

Lu, Ballard, Raymond

Nabokov, Nielsen, 2nd, Mayfield

would be acceptable for me.

Trade #2)

Good Proposal.

From a Canucks perspective it would seem that we are giving up a lot in this trade, however we benefit from 3 things:

1. Clear a lot of cap

2. Acquire the 4th overall pick - Allows us to draft Murray/Forsberg etc.

3. We get an upcoming potential star in Scott Mayfield (NHL Comparable: Jack Johnson)

I like the trade, unfortunately Luongo won't waive to go to the Island.

Archived