The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weak On D?

Durl Dixsun

2012 UFA Defensemen  

264 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Juice is just a below average of all trades. He's only given all opportunities (PP, PK, shutdown) because he is AV's favourite. He's the king of racking of secondary assists since he is always on the ice when the Sedin line is on. His shutdown abiltiies is often attributed to his superior partner (Mitchell, Hamhuis).

You remember what happens when we put Edler/Bieksa togher? Disaster. Why? Because Bieksa is not a strong enough player to anchor a #1 pairing. Bieksa can only support a great defensemen, he isn't a great one himself.

This is why Vancouver Canuck fans are so fail. They love their fighters more than anything. Yet when the going gets tough, the fighters don't up show up because of "team policy". This is why we are not going to win a Stanley Cup. We don't make the sacrificies to ice the best possible ICE HOCKEY team.

Look at LA. Look at Philly. They make the sacrificies and real "bold moves" that MG just likes to talk about. Players there earn their ice time, young guns get a chance.

Juice is just a below average of all trades. He's only given all opportunities (PP, PK, shutdown) because he is AV's favourite. He's the king of racking of secondary assists since he is always on the ice when the Sedin line is on. His shutdown abiltiies is often attributed to his superior partner (Mitchell, Hamhuis).

Edler and Beiksa didn't work because they were both jumping up in the play. You have to have a stay at home dman out with either of those guys because someone has to stay back. That was more of a coaching blunder that they were out together. Beiksa was given the green light to jump up in the play because the team wanted to make up for the points when Erhoff departed.

1) Juice isn't a fighter.

2) What team do you cheer for?

3) You have guys like Hansen and Lapierre in his "untouchables" list in your sig while the Sedins are not untouchable. Is anyone supposed to take your talent assessment seriously?

1) Well, you CDC fans love juice because he fights. You love his fighting more than his hockey skills.

2) Vancouver Canucks, but I am also not a blind homer

Lapierre (27) and Hansen (26) still have a good 5 year lifespan with the Canucks. They are those heart and soul players you need on a playoff team. They are all versatile, can play on all lines, and provide great salary:value ratio.

Sedins only have 2 years left on contract. They are still great players, but do you see them as top-tier performers in 4 years? I think not. If a mind blowing offer came, one would have to consider it. But such a trade is unlikely, as trading them would also hurt the teams loyalty/reputation. I would likely not re-sign them. If I did, it would be a 2 year contract with the intention of reducing their role on the team. That is why they are almost untouchable because the negative attention in trading them would be very high.

Obviosly losing Mitchel hurt our back end a lot. He showed in the LA series what we gave up. We need physical D-,men that make teams pay when deep in our zone. Teams should be made to pay a big price when trying to crash our net.

1) Well, you CDC fans love juice because he fights. You love his fighting more than his hockey skills.

2) Vancouver Canucks, but I am also not a blind homer

Lapierre (27) and Hansen (26) still have a good 5 year lifespan with the Canucks. They are those heart and soul players you need on a playoff team. They are all versatile, can play on all lines, and provide great salary:value ratio.

Sedins only have 2 years left on contract. They are still great players, but do you see them as top-tier performers in 4 years? I think not. If a mind blowing offer came, one would have to consider it. But such a trade is unlikely, as trading them would also hurt the teams loyalty/reputation. I would likely not re-sign them. If I did, it would be a 2 year contract with the intention of reducing their role on the team. That is why they are almost untouchable because the negative attention in trading them would be very high.

wideman - he has to make it too free agency first and he isnt going any lower then 4.5m....if wisniewski can get 5.5m then wideman sure as hell can......i have no problem giving him 4.5m, 5.5m on the other hand....meh, i would need to see more

stuart - cross him off the list, he is going back sj

suter - the best d-man available but i would give him 6.5m no problem but a team with more money to spend will have no problem giving him 7.5m...so he would really haft to wanna play here and i cant see that. and he his another left side d-man so edler would haft to moved

carle - phi is gonna re-sign him

rozsival - his market value is about 3m....but i think we could use that money for someone more youthful and brings more to the table

kubina - the phi experiment hasnt worked out so maybe he has hit the wall...maybe he better suited to be a 3rd pairing defenseman but i wouldnt expect him to play in the top 4 anymore

kuba - ott will re-sign him because he plays so well with karlsson...and you dont wanna fix something that aint broke

we do need defensemen thats for sure and the dust will begin to fall as soon as we know what we get for luongo or schneider then we can pin point what we need going into free agency

Suter would obviously be almost everyone's #1 choice but that it unlikely unless we make some room, but even then I think Suter will find another team to play for next season

Guys I like from the choices are Carle, Stuart and Kuba

The perfect free agent would be a veteran guy who would be happy to play on our third pair to extend his career playing less minutes. But has the skill to shift anytime necessary onto a top pair or PP.

Sheldon Souray! Tough as nails & has a big shot! #1 on my list last year, #1 this year. Last year I was an idiot on CDC for suggesting; now everybody should be on board!

A big bruiser would still be required if we did not get Souray; Scott Hanan would be a smashing depth defender!

I also really like Brad Stuart, but he does not solve any specific problems.

Also, a big need for us is a guy who can lug (not pass) the puck up ice which may be near impossible to find on UFA because of the cost! It would be more likely by trade, but? Its where we miss Erhoff (unfortunately he WAS too expensive to sign). Best player / puckmover available in UFA; Matt Carle. Is there a way to fit???

Best by trade? Everyone including me wants Weber, but... Something that looked possible, amongst Washington's chaotic off season, Semin, Vokoun & Wideman are UFA, would Mike Green come available? High risk because of his injury record, but Lou for Green could mean they could return the balance of their team... It's too bad Holtby came out of almost nowhere to rescue their play off season! The truth behind trades is the best ones surface when you don't expect it; Erhoff for example. An unfortunate likelihood (un-liklihood) is that we may have to steal such a trade again to completely restore our D!

Suter probably won't sign here. Seidenberg is a nice choice, but we all know why that would be weird.

Stuart is slowing down. Carle is going to cost 5 million, for a high offense, low reliability guy. same with Wideman No thanks. Roszival won't last in Vancouver. Don't know why people like Jurcina, guy can't do anything.

Kubina and Kuba are guys I'd like to see the Canuck's acquire at deadline, not in the off season. Though, I wouldn't mind if there wasn't any other option.

Trade for one. Sign Salo for cheap to be the third pair.

Bieksa Hamhuis

Edler XXXXX

Salo Tanev

Please find a 6'3+ guy, who is tough as nails and can run over people.

Ballard? Oops, looks like I've traded him. Oh well.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - ???

Grags/Rome - Tanev/Alberts/Salo (Trade Ballard)

Generally speaking, Canucks don't like to have d-men playing on their offsides (Romes the only versatile guy). Now a days, there aren't many d-man who can play, or look good playing, on their offside. Canucks biggest and only need is a top 4 right handed d-man who can eat big minutes (not Salo). Specifically that spot. Suter is a lefty, so unless Hamhuis or Edler leave, no way they go after Suter.

Wideman's the only UFA I'd like to see (righty), but he already makes almost $4M, he's 29 yrs old - so unless he wants to sign for what Bieksa and Hamhuis make, I don't see them going after him either. I think the only way Gillis brings in this position is through trade.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - ???

Grags/Rome - Tanev/Alberts/Salo (Trade Ballard)

Biggest and only need is a top 4 right handed d-man. Specifically that spot. Now a days, there aren't many d-man who can play, or look good playing, on their offside. Suter is a lefty, so unless Hamhuis or Edler leave, no way they go after Suter.

Wideman's the only UFA I'd like to see (righty), but he already makes almost $4M, he's 29 yrs old - so unless he wants to sign for what Bieksa and Hamhuis make, I don't see them going after him either. I think the only way Gillis brings in this position is through trade.

DING DING DING

The ONLY D-man this team needs is a replacement for Salo - a Right Handed D that can play with Edler.

Preferably one who can pick up Edler's slack when he goes dumb on us like these playoffs. Salo is great, everybody loves Salo, but he can't really be relied on anymore, and we need someone who can be relied on and be consistent.

The problem is I have NO idea who I want in that role. I don't want Tanev. Obviously I'd want Weber (as does everybody), but I would be ecstatic if Gillis could get a guy like Green. Someone who can move the puck exceptionally well, has that high intensity, and can play on Edler's right side.

Problem is, not alot of above average right handed D in the league available.

Archived