Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Weak On D?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
74 replies to this topic

Poll: 2012 UFA Defensemen (164 member(s) have cast votes)

What defencemen would you sign

1. Dennis Wideman (55 votes [20.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.83%

2. Brad Stuart (31 votes [11.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.74%

3. Ryan Suter (125 votes [47.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.35%

4. Matt Carle (27 votes [10.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.23%

5. Michal Rozsival (7 votes [2.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.65%

6. Pavel Kabina (13 votes [4.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.92%

7. Philip Kuba (6 votes [2.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,128 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

Re-watch the game, they were brutal. Tanev coughed up the puck three times in the first 15 minutes of game 1 under pressure for high grade scoring chances. It was a key reason we were fighting uphill, taking penalties & started off behind a big lead.

2knd game he was fine on the third pair. And we handily outplayed LA, but could not score. Not his fault, but illustrates that he is absolutely fine as long as sheltered without key responsibilities.

I completely agree. I see Tanev developing into a Hamhuis type player, not overly physical, but always in the right position defensively. I don't think he's to far away either. In the last 15 or so games (reg season), he showed he can handle more mins and tough competition - wasn't on the ice for a single EV goal against.

Some people posted that Tanev & Hammer were brutal in gm 1, which is not accurate at all. The only reason they were split up is cause Edler-Bieksa pairing was horrible - they were on the ice for 3 of the 4 goals against, so they had to be split up. Tanev, Edler, Rome had the best chance differential in gm 1. Tanev also played the 4th most shorthanded time, and was the only guy of that group to not be on the ice for a PP goal against or EV goal against.

Defensively speaking, Tanev is in a league of his own for young defensemen. His underlying numbers are absurd, truly absurd.

Somebody else mentioned Tanev could gain weight and be a defensive stopper. Tanev is 22; and gained 10lbs last off season training with Gary Roberts to get to his current weight. No way, without steroids, a guy gets another 15/20 lbs of pure muscle while playing as aerobically demanding a game as hockey. A 180 lb defensive defence-man is a recipe waiting a coach like Sutter to play a guy like Brown or Penner every shift to punish him into submission. Didn't we just watch that happen?

It became fine when he was backed off the top defensive pair with Hamhuis. So that makes Tanev a fantastically effective depth guy. But; our team lacks a rush the puck defender, and a big mean right sided guy. That means he is taking up a roster spot we sorely need for another player we have not found yet. If we keep him perennially as our 7th defender / depth guy, great. Otherwise he is stop gap!

He's still young. Players that play his style get better as they age. Not every defenseman has to rush the puck or be on the PP. Tanev will become one of the most steady players on our blue line in the next few years. His hockey knowledge is impeccable. He's usually very smart with the puck and is a calm presence on the ice.

Offense isn't everything, especially for a defenseman. Tanev is a defensive defenseman not an offensive 'Erik Karlsson' type d-man. Give him time and he'll bloom.

#62 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,401 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

Re-watch the game, they were brutal. Tanev coughed up the puck three times in the first 15 minutes of game 1 under pressure for high grade scoring chances. It was a key reason we were fighting uphill, taking penalties & started off behind a big lead.

2knd game he was fine on the third pair. And we handily outplayed LA, but could not score. Not his fault, but illustrates that he is absolutely fine as long as sheltered without key responsibilities.

Both games 1 and 2 Canucks handily out-chanced the Kings. Gm 1 - Canucks scored an early goal (which Tanev was on the ice for). Then Nucks were given the first 2 PPs of that game and created 0 scoring chances. Nucks were fighting an uphill battle cause Kesler gave Quick a snowshower, Higgins/Edler threw the puck over the glass, Kass/Lappy/Bitz made bad hits. None of those incidents had anything to do with Tanev.

Tanev was only on the ice for 2 scoring chances against at EV in gm 1, only Rome was on for fewer. Also, Tanev was only credited with 1 giveaway in gm 1, and 2 for entire 5 games he played during playoffs (tied for Salo with fewest). Tanev is great at recovering, using his stick and keeping guys to the outside. It doesn't always look pretty but it's effective - that's why I use stats cause they give the underlying story vs. what it 'looks like'.

Edler was credited with 3 giveaways, Bieksa 2. They were both on the ice for 3/4 goals against. The pairs were broken up cause Bieksa/Edler were horrible, not Hamhuis/Tanev.

Edited by RunningWild, 05 May 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#63 CANUCKLELION

CANUCKLELION

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,078 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

I completely agree. I see Tanev developing into a Hamhuis type player, not overly physical, but always in the right position defensively. I don't think he's to far away either. In the last 15 or so games (reg season), he showed he can handle more mins and tough competition - wasn't on the ice for a single EV goal against.

Some people posted that Tanev & Hammer were brutal in gm 1, which is not accurate at all. The only reason they were split up is cause Edler-Bieksa pairing was horrible - they were on the ice for 3 of the 4 goals against, so they had to be split up. Tanev, Edler, Rome had the best chance differential in gm 1. Tanev also played the 4th most shorthanded time, and was the only guy of that group to not be on the ice for a PP goal against or EV goal against.

Defensively speaking, Tanev is in a league of his own for young defensemen. His underlying numbers are absurd, truly absurd.

I pretty much agree with your post, except the part about Hammer, sure he's not a huge hitter or fighter but he is the most physical of all the D. Watch him he is constantly jostling, taking hits while moving the puck , he has a ton of contact, he is constantly doing the heavy lifting when on the ice, be it in front of the goal, behind the net, wherever. I am surprised he is as durable as he has been, given the tough tough minutes he plays each game.
R.I.P, Rick Rypien Posted ImagePosted Image

#64 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,382 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Sign Barrett Jackman. Play Keith Ballard 18-20 minutes. Do not re-sign Salo.

Not weak on D anymore.

:towel: :canucks:

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#65 Cannucker

Cannucker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:56 AM

NO to Wideman, he is a bit of a floater and makes costly mistakes. Yes he can put up points but he is not a playoff type defenceman. For a depth move I would try to sign Bryan Allen, he is a UFA and we will get a the tough defender we were looking for at the trade deadline.

#66 panelguy

panelguy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

Salo to old and slow , we need a big mobile defence maybe like the Kings have.

#67 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,585 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

Suter would be great but if he goes to free agency his price will very very high- if we can get him for less than 6m I say go for it.

Wideman would be my second choice but I didn't vote for him cause I see his value getting way too over inflated and unlike Suter I don't see him as worth it.

Stuart IMO will be the best value of the available free agent Dmen. Sure he is getting older but he still plays a very realiable defensive game, hits a mother---- and has a decent shot. Stuart can also play big minutes if needed but could also work as a very good 5th/6th Dmen.

I voted Suter and Stuart.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#68 Jma7

Jma7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

I think it's the offense thats the problem. If the forwards can't do much in their zone, then you are just going to eventually tire out your back end players. And in games where Schneider was in net, they only needed 2 goals to win but couldnt get them. The smart move is to bring in a real top 6 forward to play alongside kesler
Posted Image

#69 E-ROD

E-ROD

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:27 PM

we have problems on defense and i cannot lie.

#70 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,973 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

If It weren't for the consistent injuries, Salo is arguably the most consistent Dman...he may be getting a lil slower, but he is one player you can always depend on, plays calm, although not phsyical but a strong presense on the backend. quiet but firm leader, one hell of a shot, clutch, you name it....this guy is mr.consistency ironically that includes injuries :S

2moy3iq.png

#71 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,114 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Juice is just a below average of all trades.††He's only given all opportunities (PP, PK, shutdown) because he is AV's favourite...

Bieksa was 29th among NHL defensemen in TOI/game this year, yet managed to end up 13th in scoring. And he isn't given the cushy 1st unit PP time that Edler consistently gets...he grinds it out with the dog's basket we've had on the 2nd unit.

So how does he get his points? Bieksa is second in the ENTIRE NHL for even-strength points by a defenseman. More than anyone but Karlsson - more than Chara, more than Keith, more than Doughty...9 more than Edler, 10 more than Hamhuis. Add that to his penalty killing, hitting, character, etc., and he's an extremely rare and valued commodity to have on our team.

Some may say Bieksa is not "elite", and it's certain that he'll never win a Norris...but he's MOST DEFINITELY not "below average". In fact, that statement pretty much confirms that you are extremely biased, judging on hearsay, or simply know absolutely nothing about hockey.
Posted Image

#72 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,114 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

Perhaps Gillis will address the hole on the 2nd pairing with the Luongo trade. But then again, who of the most likely trade partners have a solid righty D-man they'd be willing to give up?

The obvious one that makes sense from both sides is Luongo to Toronto for Luke Schenn. He gets a lot of criticism here, but he's only 22, and is improving. Also, he's more of a defensive defenseman, which seems to be what Edler will need to cover for his brainfarts.

Edited by D-Money, 07 May 2012 - 01:27 PM.

Posted Image

#73 nuckfanfromafrica

nuckfanfromafrica

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

realistic D men that we should target: Jason Garrison (BC boy with size, gritt & scoring torch), Barret Jackman (Physical stay at home Dman), resign Salo.
Use Ballard more effectively.

Hamhius - Bieksa

Edler - Jackman

Ballard - Salo

Garrison - Alberts

Tanev

This gives us depth

#74 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,636 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Perhaps Gillis will address the hole on the 2nd pairing with the Luongo trade. But then again, who of the most likely trade partners have a solid righty D-man they'd be willing to give up?

The obvious one that makes sense from both sides is Luongo to Toronto for Luke Schenn. He gets a lot of criticism here, but he's only 22, and is improving. Also, he's more of a defensive defenseman, which seems to be what Edler will need to cover for his brainfarts.

I agree. Schenn was also one of the top hitters in the league this season. Something that the Canucks lack (along with shot-blocking) IMO.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#75 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,585 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:51 PM

Brett Clark might be another cheap UFA option although his plus/minus from last year was awful.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.