The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Luongo's Contract Will Affect Trade Value... Not In The Way You Might Think.

people are calling this a bargain, which would suggest our return in a trade will be very good, i doubt it, you guys will be calling for gillis's head after this deal, as the hodgson deal remains hotly debated....

the canucks are not dealing from a positon of power from two levels. number one, if luongo is not dealt how much will schneider cost us with luongo on a cap hit?...can we truly afford two starters ( while one sits ) at some 8 million or more at the expense of another d-man and a power forward ( submit your roster change here ).

number two, roberto submitted a short list ( advantage to teams on the list ), so most of the entire pool is eliminated from service demands and the tampas, torontos of the list can low ball with the inflexibility the canucks will suffer from.

that's how i see it from outside of the ( canuck ) box.

Everyone knows his contract cheats the cap system. If they don't know that then they are idiots. His cap hit has nothing to do with why he is untradeable. The reason why he is untradeable is because of the length of his contract. There are not many owners who want to take on the length of his contract and be committed to all that money, ESPECIALLY when he is playing mediocre. His best days are behind him and lets say he has 3-4 more good seasons left in him well after that if he doesn't retire he is either sitting on the bench raking in huge sums of money or being bought out.

Everyone knows his contract cheats the cap system. If they don't know that then they are idiots. His cap hit has nothing to do with why he is untradeable. The reason why he is untradeable is because of the length of his contract. There are not many owners who want to take on the length of his contract and be committed to all that money, ESPECIALLY when he is playing mediocre. His best days are behind him and lets say he has 3-4 more good seasons left in him well after that if he doesn't retire he is either sitting on the bench raking in huge sums of money or being bought out.

Another advantage if a team decides to trade for him.

There is no fear of him being a UFA. He can't because his contract is for 10 more years. Also hes not "untradeable" infact, if the team tells him, that they no longer need him, Luongo will gladly waive his contract to a team that needs his service. Haters like Leafs fans, Oilers fans, Flames fan, think is the worst contract in the world. It's not. He more likely to play til 42 then someone like Hossa or Kovalchuk.

Yes. Chris Osgood went to back to back Stanley Cups and had 5 shutouts in those 2 years with a .928 save %. Going to the Stanley Cup doesn't make you a great goalie especially when you had at least 5 poor games in the Stanley Cup run.

If you can't see Luongo's level of play has declined since he first became a Canuck you are not objective. Yes, his regular season save % is hovered in the same area but he is also playing less games and the league save% has increased during that time.

I'm not saying Luongo is bad. He just isn't as good as he use to be.

So lets keep him instead!!! I hope....

But people saying Schnieder will be cheaper, not by any significant amount that would be the difference between getting a top player and not....only gonna be a matter of 1.5mil max, probably less, of a cheaper contract....Fans think Lu's contract is preventing us from getting a Shea Weber and Schnieder will be soo much cheaper

So if he is as wanted as most fans seem to think, why is he still here? How come we are not hearing rumors already? If everything in that article and what fans in this thread are saying about him... he would be traded already. The fact is... he is just another goalie on the market. Don't get your hopes up on a high return.

So if he is as wanted as most fans seem to think, why is he still here? How come we are not hearing rumors already? If everything in that article and what fans in this thread are saying about him... he would be traded already. The fact is... he is just another goalie on the market. Don't get your hopes up on a high return.

Lu would be a significant upgrade to any team in dire need of a top notch goalie to get in the game...and there are a few teams in this position...and anyone blaming the first round exit on Lu is clearly talking out of their...goaltending was not the issue. It was the unmotivated unprepared team in front of him...in which case I'd be looking at the coach. TBH...I've stopped listening to AV...same old same old...insanity is....its interesting to hear that the Penguins did a coaching change midseason after losing in the SCF to win it the following season. The team is packed with talent, consequently the consecutive pres trophy...a first round exit is unacceptable for such a talented group...and this needs to be seriousely evaluated. MG seems to be losing his focus...he needs to regroup, get back in the game...and keep his eye on the prize.

People have said that Luongo's contract will make it impossible to find a trade partner... Or at least his contract will make it difficult to get good value. I have vehemently disagreed since it was signed, and still do. Offside sports is a pretty great blog and he thinks that Luongo's contract is quite attractive.

Another advantage if a team decides to trade for him.

There is no fear of him being a UFA. He can't because his contract is for 10 more years. Also hes not "untradeable" infact, if the team tells him, that they no longer need him, Luongo will gladly waive his contract to a team that needs his service. Haters like Leafs fans, Oilers fans, Flames fan, think is the worst contract in the world. It's not. He more likely to play til 42 then someone like Hossa or Kovalchuk.

But if he is such a commodity why hasn't someone traded for him already? If he was head and shoulders above all the other goalies available, there would be a race to get him. Much like Patrick Roy when he became available i think he was on the market for five days and then it was done. I don't see the same response to Lou i see him as just another option for goalies, not a heavily valued one.

The teams that have been mentioned so far.. Tampa, Florida, Toronto, Chicago are all done and out. If any of them were desperate for a goalie, this would have been a done deal. It just tells me that he is not going to bring a whole lot back in return as a lot of people here posting seem to think he will.

Oh come on guys . Once again Luongo's thread . Why We r wasting our time for cheap topic every single day .

HE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE . And we know that very well . Then why Guys ?

Please don't post Stupid Thread about luongo's trade .

The teams that have been mentioned so far.. Tampa, Florida, Toronto, Chicago are all done and out. If any of them were desperate for a goalie, this would have been a done deal. It just tells me that he is not going to bring a whole lot back in return as a lot of people here posting seem to think he will.

Archived