The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Luongo's Contract Will Affect Trade Value... Not In The Way You Might Think.

But if he is such a commodity why hasn't someone traded for him already? If he was head and shoulders above all the other goalies available, there would be a race to get him. Much like Patrick Roy when he became available i think he was on the market for five days and then it was done. I don't see the same response to Lou i see him as just another option for goalies, not a heavily valued one.

Teams are generally discouraged from conducting any business during this time of the year that would detract from the "spectacle" that is the Stanley Cup Playoffs .. other than the naming of new GM's, and maybe the odd coach, seldom is there ANY transactional business conducted until after the Stanley Cup Parade.

So we will have to wait for Lui to be moved, AV to be fired and Brent Sutter to be hired .. please try to be patient in the face of such realities. .. B)

2. anyone with a brain would know that Luongo just had a career season last season where every single stat of his had peaked. And here, you are preaching to people that Luongo had been on decline since 2008. In case if you are stupid enough to know how to google, here is his stats last season:

.928 SV%

2.11 GAA

he was second in the league in GAA behind Tim Thomas, and third in SV% behind Thomas and Rinne.

Now use whatever brain power you have left, and tell me how on earth Luongo was on decline since 2008?

The teams that have been mentioned so far.. Tampa, Florida, Toronto, Chicago are all done and out. If any of them were desperate for a goalie, this would have been a done deal. It just tells me that he is not going to bring a whole lot back in return as a lot of people here posting seem to think he will.

Most owners in the league would probably Love Luongo's contract. A huge percentage of it is already payed out to him so not only are they getting a great goaltender at a 5.3 mil cap hit that they only have to pay out roughly a 4.5 mil cap hit. Also he's likely not playing the final years of his contract; at least the last two we can say it's probable that he will retire before the second to last season of his contract.

The very reason you are saying he is untradeable is why he is tradeable and why he is desirable to owners. The "cheat"; as you call it which fell into the rules of the CBA so it's anything but, is what makes anyone who has monetary interests in contracts (Owners and GM's) see his contract as a bonus.

Seriously some people here act as if we're trying to move Rick Depietro.

What are you talking about? Most owners in the league are not going to want to be locked into a contract for 48mil for the next 10 years to a goalie who is 33 never won a Stanley Cup. Not only that he is coming off a terrible season! Yes he was terrible this year, he was mediocre for about a month; played the same in the playoffs.

You're telling me that every owner is going to be drooling over that 5.3 million cap hit? Not a chance. They will be drooling over Schneider not Luongo.

If people still believe that Luongo is an elite goalie in this league, then a $5.33 mil cap hit is not only manageable, but attractive. The problem is, many people don't believe that Luongo is in that elite category anymore. His numbers this year were pretty bad, and that was with the best team in the league in front of him. He has collapsed in the playoffs every year for the past 3 years (excluding this year when Schneider stole the #1 job). He's not getting any younger either. Even if a team is still very interested after considering all that, they have to realize that if they make the trade, they're locked in in a big way. These facts are enough to make any GM pause.

Can the trade be done? Probably. Will we get a good return for Luongo? No.

Well i stand behind what i said about there being no talk about him yet... nothing at all. I don't think we get more than a possible second line player and nothing higher that a pick in the 20's or more likely a 2nd and a 3rd round, something along those lines. Who thinks we are getting a top line player or a first round pick? C'mon write down your choices and then we will drag up this thread in a couple months and see who is closer.

He's no bargain, if he was, gms would be pounding down our door. I really don't expect much return for Lou, but I'd love to be proven wrong. We'll find out soon enough. The NHL has had its fair share of idiot gms waiting to be fleeced, on the other hand MG did trade Hodgson and Sulzer for a player to be found later in the AHL and AV's boy-crush.

You clearly didn't read my post very well.

Most owners will like a goalie that is far better than what they have to pay out for him. A large chunk of his contract is already paid. If I buy my friends season tickets to the blazers for 70 percent the price but only 5 games into the season I'm going to jump on that because it's a deal. A GM will like his cap hit because for his caliber it's a good deal. So they get a goalie with 10 years left on his contract who in all likely-hood is not going to play the final 3 years of his deal. Basically all the term means is that he's there till he retires. It could be 20 years and it wouldn't make a difference to anybody. On top of that a large piece of his contract has been paid while a small piece of it has been played. Yeah...owners would way rather spend a lot of money.

And no he wasn't terrible. At times he was mediocre but he had a good year overall. Actually outside of Kesler and Malhotra nobody was really terrible in general this season on the ice.

Owners will drool over both goalies actually. Schneider would obviously be more sought after because he is much younger and has shown that he is more than just potential; he's the real deal. I don't know however wtf that has to do with this discussion. I mean clearly you're not looking too objectively but tossing Schneids into the discussion just for the sake of it seems odd to me.

Luongo's contract makes owners who actually pay the money for players take a long hard look at getting him more than it will deter them from wanting him. They get more than what they are paying for with Luongo. His cap hit is about right for the caliber of goalie he is and they pay much less than that. It's reasonably simple math but it also works on the premise of judging Luongos talent realistically which if you're thinking he had a terrible season and was mediocre at best you're not doing.

the only mistake this playoffs was replacing Lu with Schneids: now the future of both goalies is murky looking for Vancouver and our teams owner does not miss this detail. AV lost in round one with his star goalie on the bench, healthy. Now that star wants out, and the backup wants star money and his own team. Nice AV, way to implode the status quo on your way out.

Archived