The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Luongo's Contract Will Affect Trade Value... Not In The Way You Might Think.

People seem to just take it for granted Luongo going to be injury free over the next ten years. The debacle of Rick DiPietro should make people think. He doesn't play and gets paid huge bucks. A twelve year contract is fiscal insanity.

- people seem to think cap hit is all that counts; not if you're a lot of teams... as basic salary counts a lot.

- I find it sad that so many fans think it's cool for MG to have scammed the league with this contract. (It shows us once again what a classless character he is.)

people are calling this a bargain, which would suggest our return in a trade will be very good, i doubt it, you guys will be calling for gillis's head after this deal, as the hodgson deal remains hotly debated....

the canucks are not dealing from a positon of power from two levels. number one, if luongo is not dealt how much will schneider cost us with luongo on a cap hit?...can we truly afford two starters ( while one sits ) at some 8 million or more at the expense of another d-man and a power forward ( submit your roster change here ).

number two, roberto submitted a short list ( advantage to teams on the list ), so most of the entire pool is eliminated from service demands and the tampas, torontos of the list can low ball with the inflexibility the canucks will suffer from.

that's how i see it from outside of the ( canuck ) box.

i like lu, but he is making too many mistakes for this franchise... he still is and always will be my favourite goalie, but not on the canucks, i dont want Gillis to keep him, because it is too risky. we havn't won the Stanley Cup before and Vancouver and all of Canada wants one. so if this is to happen then we must get rid of Luongo and start Shcneider and have Lack as our backup. maybe trade Luongo to Columbus and get Nash out of it, that probably wouldnt work but it could go something like that. or trade him to Chicago and get Toews or Kane because Chicago is struggling with goalies.... Bottom line: Get rid of Luongo. It'll be for the best ...

the only mistake this playoffs was replacing Lu with Schneids: now the future of both goalies is murky looking for Vancouver and our teams owner does not miss this detail. AV lost in round one with his star goalie on the bench, healthy. Now that star wants out, and the backup wants star money and his own team. Nice AV, way to implode the status quo on your way out.

My question is this. If it was such a good deal why does everybody want him gone? Why trade a guy two years into a twelve year deal if it was a great deal?

And the one thing this article forgets to mention, as does pretty much everyone else, Luongo failed for years to get a weaker Panthers team into the playoffs. Does he really make a weaker team better? Is his 6.7 million over the next six years something a struggling team wants to commit to? His numbers now aren't as good as they were when he left Florida six years ago.

And whether we like it or not, Luongo doesn't have the best reputation throughout the league. Heck, he isn't very well liked in Vancouver. Loads of fans want him gone. Players who are pushed out of town don't usually command big packages.

I think a lot of people are hoping that something happens and a big package comes back but it likely won't happen. A low revenue team needs tp pay him 42 million dollars over six years. That's a lot for an aging goaltender who may be trending down. He did just lose his job.

Outside of Bryzgalov which goalie would you swap for Luongo in the playoffs right now? I don't think any of those seven teams would start Luongo and St. Louis probably wouldn't even dress him ahead of both of their guys.

People seem to just take it for granted Luongo going to be injury free over the next ten years. The debacle of Rick DiPietro should make people think. He doesn't play and gets paid huge bucks. A twelve year contract is fiscal insanity.

- people seem to think cap hit is all that counts; not if you're a lot of teams... as basic salary counts a lot.

- I find it sad that so many fans think it's cool for MG to have scammed the league with this contract. (It shows us once again what a classless character he is.)

Thanks. What I've been saying all along, but so many idiots think they are smarter than the GM fo the team. 99% haven't even read the contract details to even know what they are criticizing. All they know is someone on the radio said it was bad. Now these radio hosts more often then not, are not lawyers or agents, or anyone who deals with the salary cap system, so they have little idea how it works.

Oh come on guys . Once again Luongo's thread . Why We r wasting our time for cheap topic every single day .

HE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE . And we know that very well . Then why Guys ?

Please don't post Stupid Thread about luongo's trade .

see the problem with this contract is that most people thing 1 dimensionally, so they dont see just how great it is. its Amazing how many ppl say hes making 10 million dollars... when that just isnt true...

If GMMG and Stevie Y are emailing back and forth, MG send him this clip and Steve y send him one of Luos contract being so long. Its like going and buying a used Toyota. You are focused on telling the salesman its weaknesses and age, and hes stressing that its a toyota and the resale is really high bcuz of the name.

His value is argued so back and forth because there are so many ways to look at it. Ill bet even MG doesnt know what he can get until someone starts making offers for lou (if that ever even happens)

Patients my frriends. Patients.

If GMMG and Stevie Y are emailing back and forth, MG send him this clip and Steve y send him one of Luos contract being so long. Its like going and buying a used Toyota. You are focused on telling the salesman its weaknesses and age, and hes stressing that its a toyota and the resale is really high bcuz of the name.

His value is argued so back and forth because there are so many ways to look at it. Ill bet even MG doesnt know what he can get until someone starts making offers for lou (if that ever even happens)

Patients my frriends. Patients.

My question is this. If it was such a good deal why does everybody want him gone? Why trade a guy two years into a twelve year deal if it was a great deal?

And the one thing this article forgets to mention, as does pretty much everyone else, Luongo failed for years to get a weaker Panthers team into the playoffs. Does he really make a weaker team better? Is his 6.7 million over the next six years something a struggling team wants to commit to? His numbers now aren't as good as they were when he left Florida six years ago.

And whether we like it or not, Luongo doesn't have the best reputation throughout the league. Heck, he isn't very well liked in Vancouver. Loads of fans want him gone. Players who are pushed out of town don't usually command big packages.

I think a lot of people are hoping that something happens and a big package comes back but it likely won't happen. A low revenue team needs tp pay him 42 million dollars over six years. That's a lot for an aging goaltender who may be trending down. He did just lose his job.

Outside of Bryzgalov which goalie would you swap for Luongo in the playoffs right now? I don't think any of those seven teams would start Luongo and St. Louis probably wouldn't even dress him ahead of both of their guys.

Great article! Lots of good tidbits like avg'ing $4M per playoff game. Yowsa that's big $$. Aquillini must be chewing nails right now.

But this article doesn't address perhaps the biggest factor in determining Lu's value this summer, supply and demand. Personally, I don't think there will be many #1 proven goalies on the market this summer, supply will be very low. Dreger/McKenzie have speculated that Cgy's owners don't want to rebuild, so Kipper won't be on the market. IMO, it leaves potentially only 3: Lu, Thomas, Vokoun. Maybe guys like Bernier, Lindback will be available, but they've never played more than 25 NHL reg season games a yr - they're unproven and therefore a huge risk. Thomas's contract expires next summer, so there's a risk he won't re-sign and then that team is back to square one looking for a goaltender.

On the flip side, there should be a minimum 5 teams looking for a #1 goalie (Tor, TB, NJ, Chi, Clmbs). Demand > supply, therefore cost of acquiring these guys increases. Of course, Lu's 'list' and that whole debacle complicated things, but I don't see Gillis taking a bad contract in return - that would defeat the purpose.

Archived