The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Plenty Of Fish Horror Stories

Stefan

I moved to the lower mainland from a very small town back in 2006, so I thought I'd give the online scene a shot for the hell of it to see what happened and came across PoF. (Hilarious how that line is basically the way I opened my profile description, HA!).

For the most part, people on their are just there for curiosity and not that seroius. It's not just about hookups, there's people looking for that, but there's people just looking to haing out (like I was) and date too. I met a girl who I dated for a few months... but didn't work out. 4 years later we're still best friends and she's happily engaged.

I'd say AT LEAST 1/4 relationships for people under the age of 25 start online... there's lots of people that lie about it (we pretended we met at school to hide the fact we met online). I still hide the fact that I'm there but if you give it a shot onlien scene can acutally be BETTER because you can message, then progress to texting, then progress to meeting up... it's like "pre-screening" before you meet someone rather than meeting right away in person and running into bad situations... something the original poster didn't do!

I moved to the lower mainland from a very small town back in 2006, so I thought I'd give the online scene a shot for the hell of it to see what happened and came across PoF. (Hilarious how that line is basically the way I opened my profile description, HA!).

For the most part, people on their are just there for curiosity and not that seroius. It's not just about hookups, there's people looking for that, but there's people just looking to haing out (like I was) and date too. I met a girl who I dated for a few months... but didn't work out. 4 years later we're still best friends and she's happily engaged.

I'd say AT LEAST 1/4 relationships for people under the age of 25 start online... there's lots of people that lie about it (we pretended we met at school to hide the fact we met online). I still hide the fact that I'm there but if you give it a shot onlien scene can acutally be BETTER because you can message, then progress to texting, then progress to meeting up... it's like "pre-screening" before you meet someone rather than meeting right away in person and running into bad situations... something the original poster didn't do!

Furthermore, it gives you an outlet to meet more people, places where school and work might not have allowed you to do, especially if you came from a private school. Workplace romance is usually seen as frowned upon and therefore isn't really a solution.

Some people really are shy in person and it might have been a "wasted opportunity".

Let's face it - physical attraction is a definite, part of growing up, part of being human. Going online is no different than offline, but there's an added benefit of talking online which will improve self-confidence.

Hilarious story :lol:

My friend hooked up with this guy off PoF and he refused to call her by her real name all evening long. He kept treating her as though she was someone else and she basically figured out that he was still in love with his ex-gf who had just dumped him and he was trying to get her to role play and pretend that she was the ex. She got super freaked out, ran away from his apartment, and deleted her account lol.

Why would you go to a guy's apartment on the first date? POF safety tips as posted on the site:

1. Always meet in a public and well-populated area that you're familiar and comfortable with.

2. Meet in the daytime.

3. Inform a friend or family member of when and where you are going.

4. Keep your phone on.

5. Avoid consuming alcohol or taking part in activities that could impair your judgement.

I went out with a girl one time and then she started calling me for rides like I was some kind of personal taxi service...ummm I literally JUST met you. We're not even friends...

Apparently my wife and I both had POF profiles at the same time but never found each other online at the time.

I went out with a girl one time and then she started calling me for rides like I was some kind of personal taxi service...ummm I literally JUST met you. We're not even friends...

Apparently my wife and I both had POF profiles at the same time but never found each other online at the time.

Is that not a good thing?

I blew coffee through my nose when you said you picked her up at the skytrain after knowing about her forest civilization thing.

She looked like a younger, skinnier version of Christina Ricci. Like, her twin.

And I always thought Christina Ricci was pretty hot... So I went with my... uhh... Instincts.

Haha that is insane, I wouldn't want to deal with that. The worst I had was...

So I met this one girl as a friend and my car was in the shop at the time as I recently had an accident so she was driving me home one night and she was running late so she literally was speeding the entire ride and blew through about 5 red lights despite the fact that I told her she was spooking me especially since I just had an accident. So I figured she was a touch to crazy for me so I ended up dating her close friend. She seemed completely sane for a while then one day we were all hanging out joking and without any warning she gets up walks out the door and slams it shut before doing a donut in the driveway as she speeds off without saying a word. 5 minutes later she calls her friend and says she blacked out and doesn't remember what happened she was in the room then came to speeding down the road.

I will admit I stuck around a bit more for reasons I am not proud to admit but ultimately when it ended she had a guy call my phone pretending to be a police officer trying to get me to give my location because I had to be questioned in connection to a crime hahah. I was lucky she was no longer friends with the other girl who knew where I lived at this point and I never told her where I lived after that 1st episode of crazy.

I used that website once. In my personal experience every girl on there falls under 1 of 3 categories (sometimes multiple)

1. She's insane

2. She's a very sexual woman

3. She's fat

Bonus story: For those who like crude things...

I didn't meet this girl online but my last ex girlfriend was literally a bad stereotype. Blond attractive girl, but a complete airhead. The worst thing she did was somehow mistook Milk of Magnesia for cough syrup. Then she read the label wrong again on how much to take and she took way to much. She literally overdosed on it. She called me over to help her and I walked in on a naked girl on the bathroom floor literally vomiting and having diarrhea every 5-10 minutes. I could not get her in my car and to the hospital without my car being forever ruined so I had to just stay on the phone with poison control and keep her drinking between each episode while helping her from position to position depending on where it was coming from. This went on for 4-5 hours. It was the most disturbing thing I have seen in my life. I really lost my sex drive for almost 2 weeks.

Been on POF since 2010 and have had NOTHING but fat girls message me. It's like there is something on my profile that says, Heyyy I like fat women because I get nothing but messages from that one segment of the POF population.

That's not to say I haven't banged my share from there, but it's not going any further than that until I can start seeing some hips.

Unless you're trying to pick up under-age children then that isnt really a fear for you. I have a few buddies who use that site as a hookup site, and it works for them, again, none of them are going after children, so the fear of getting trolled by Batman decreases significantly.

I can't even figure out how I COULD search for minors...

Hilarious story :lol:

My friend hooked up with this guy off PoF and he refused to call her by her real name all evening long. He kept treating her as though she was someone else and she basically figured out that he was still in love with his ex-gf who had just dumped him and he was trying to get her to role play and pretend that she was the ex. She got super freaked out, ran away from his apartment, and deleted her account lol.

If you or your friend are still on the market, ;) ;) ;)

Haha that is insane, I wouldn't want to deal with that. The worst I had was...

So I met this one girl as a friend and my car was in the shop at the time as I recently had an accident so she was driving me home one night and she was running late so she literally was speeding the entire ride and blew through about 5 red lights despite the fact that I told her she was spooking me especially since I just had an accident. So I figured she was a touch to crazy for me so I ended up dating her close friend. She seemed completely sane for a while then one day we were all hanging out joking and without any warning she gets up walks out the door and slams it shut before doing a donut in the driveway as she speeds off without saying a word. 5 minutes later she calls her friend and says she blacked out and doesn't remember what happened she was in the room then came to speeding down the road.

I will admit I stuck around a bit more for reasons I am not proud to admit but ultimately when it ended she had a guy call my phone pretending to be a police officer trying to get me to give my location because I had to be questioned in connection to a crime hahah. I was lucky she was no longer friends with the other girl who knew where I lived at this point and I never told her where I lived after that 1st episode of crazy.

I used that website once. In my personal experience every girl on there falls under 1 of 3 categories (sometimes multiple)

1. She's insane

2. She's a very sexual woman

3. She's fat

Bonus story: For those who like crude things...

I didn't meet this girl online but my last ex girlfriend was literally a bad stereotype. Blond attractive girl, but a complete airhead. The worst thing she did was somehow mistook Milk of Magnesia for cough syrup. Then she read the label wrong again on how much to take and she took way to much. She literally overdosed on it. She called me over to help her and I walked in on a naked girl on the bathroom floor literally vomiting and having diarrhea every 5-10 minutes. I could not get her in my car and to the hospital without my car being forever ruined so I had to just stay on the phone with poison control and keep her drinking between each episode while helping her from position to position depending on where it was coming from. This went on for 4-5 hours. It was the most disturbing thing I have seen in my life. I really lost my sex drive for almost 2 weeks.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I thought my worst experience was bad....

Anyways, Here it goes.

When I had just been posted to Edmonton I was still living in the Shacks so bringing a girl back could get interesting especially if my roommate was there, but this weekend him and another buddy decided to head to Jasper for the weekend. I made up some lame excuse because I had a pretty bad dry spell and needed to end it at all costs...or so I thought.

The week before I had been talking up this one girl, in my defense I was still a POF rookie and her pictures were pretty good, she had a really pretty face and she was even in a bikini in one shot, but they were all from her holding the camera way above her head and taking the picture pointing the camera straight down.

So, we decided to meet on the weekend which had worked out for her because her ride, who was also another girl meeting another army guy in the same building I was in ( lol ) and figured she would just come down the hall and have a few drinks before fooling around.

I was sitting in my dark room getting texts from her and I told her my room number then it was like a scene from Jurassic Park, I heard something coming from down the hallway and figured it had to be just some dude getting home who happened to be wearing steel toed boots because the thud of the footsteps was pretty loud. There was a knock at my door and I creeped up to the door and went to go look through the peephole but she was standing off to the side and I could only make out black pants and a black hoodie and it was all distorted being out of the focal point.

I didn't answer the door, then I got a text saying she thinks she was at the right room but there was no answer, I quickly texted back saying I thought I heard something at the door but I somehow had developed a huge flu within an hour and was laying in bed and that was my reason for not answering the door...So, she came back....I answered the door and quickly scurried back to my bed, she came in and, at the time I wasn't a small guy (6'0 230lbs) and this chick made me feel small. As I watched the behemoth enter my room and sit in the chair across from my bed I was trying to think of the quickest way to get her out, I basically just apologized to her and said we should get together another time and that I had loaded up on codeine cough syrup and was super drowsy. Being the nice girl she was she offered to climb into my single bed with me and nurse me back to health but I regretfully declined.

After she had left she texted saying she felt soo bad and wished we could have 'rolled around in the hay' after having some drinks (Which I pictured more or less her beating me into submission and having her way with me) Then I basically told her she looked NOTHING like her pictures and wasn't very attracted to her, she didn't respond to that text and that was that.

Then I basically told her she looked NOTHING like her pictures and wasn't very attracted to her, she didn't respond to that text and that was that.

ahaha. You were fooled by the myspace angle.

Archived