The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Out Of All The Big Names Who Could Possibly Be Available, Who Would Be The Best Fit?

billabong

254 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, it was. Defence isn't just about keeping out goals, it is also about initiating the play productively from our end - and we sucked. And the LA defence excelled while ours sucked - Ehrhoff wasn't just about his talent on the PP, he was about moving the puck out of our zone.

I am not sure whether all of those listed players are available.

Out of the bug names, there are a few names that could really help us !

David Jones (young, solid physical forward with pretty good hands, should be able fit under our cap)

Jordin Tootoo (young physical 3rd or 4th liner for us, big upside, fan favourite)

Paul Gaustad (3rd line big center, if we let Pahlsson go, and trade Malhotra, I could see him being a nice fit, but gonna be quite expenive)

Scott Hannan (defensive d-men, Willie Mitchell type player, maybe able to help Edler)

We have most of the pieces available, yet I would love to get Parise.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Parise-Kesler-Booth/Kassian

Higgins-Malholtra(if he can get back to his form pre injury)-Booth/Kassian

Volpatti-Lappierre-Hansen

Bitz

Edler-Wiedeman

Hamhius-Bieksa

Cannauton-Tanev

Alberts-Gragnani

Schnieder/Lack

Why you ask, I put Kassian on either the second or third line. Its simple its about player development, the kid is a raw talent with great size. I believe he will be great.

Rome also is not resigned. Ballard and Raymond is traded to make cap room for Parise and Weideman. Our top four D plays 23 min each a game then the bottom pairing (future) only needs to play 14 minutes agame.

Before deciding what fits best with the team we need to know what the team will look like after Lu leaves. The most possible and likely scenario is Lu to TBay for Malone. So then we have Sedins with Burrows / Kes, Booth , Malone. Backside is Bieksa with Hamhuis, Edler with ??? So I think we need to move Ballard (DUH) to fill in a top 4 Dman (bid bye-bye to Sami...thanks for all your efforts!). So with about 6-7mil (after Lu and Ballard gone / Cory re-signed) who could we reasonably expect to sign...and do you go for a RFA and let a UFA slip away in the mean-time?

Personally I felt that when we gave up Allen in the Lu trade (although Vancouver won that trade by a LONG shot) we gave up a solid 3/4 D-man with a big future with the Nucks. So this may be sentiment speaking but since he's UFA this summer I'd love to see the the hulking Bryan Allen back with us. If we go RFA then I think Kulikov would be the best fit (puck moving Dman although he's a left shot) but I'm sure Florida will defend all offers for him with much vigilance! But he'd be amazing to get...just wishing!

why so many votes for weber? our top 4 defence is among the top of the league... and landing weber and his contract would mean saying goodbye to bieksa, edler, or hamhuis.

really, i dont get it guys... the thread is "who would be the best fit" - weber is probly the best player on the list, but not the best fit. defence wasnt our problem against LA.

sedin sedin nash

booth kesler higgins

burrows pahlsson hansen

best top line in the NHL - and our depth is extremely improved with burrows on the checking line, which becomes a pretty intense looking shutdown line.

i would say Bobby Ryan. He would be good for the Sedins.

Sedin-Sedin-Ryan

Burrows-Kesler-Booth

Higgins-Lappy-Hansen

????-Malhotra-Kassian

looks pretty decent imo. I would take Ryan personally, but another D-man would be nice as well. Ryan would be good if Kassian takes longer to develop. I would like to see him in a top 6 next year, but we'll see what happens...

why so many votes for weber? our top 4 defence is among the top of the league... and landing weber and his contract would mean saying goodbye to bieksa, edler, or hamhuis.

really, i dont get it guys... the thread is "who would be the best fit" - weber is probly the best player on the list, but not the best fit. defence wasnt our problem against LA.

sedin sedin nash

booth kesler higgins

burrows pahlsson hansen

best top line in the NHL - and our depth is extremely improved with burrows on the checking line, which becomes a pretty intense looking shutdown line.

We don't need any of those players. We just have to clone aaron Rome

Sedin Sedin Rome

Kesler Booth Rome

Burrows phalson higgins

Malhotra kassian bitz

Edler - Rome

Hamhuis - Rome

Rome - Rome

I believe we will be well under cap with this roster.

Landeskog, Perron, Eller, Teubert, and Colborne via trades.

Jason Garrison, Steve Eminger and Cody McLeod via free agency

D. Sedin/H.Sedin/Landeskog

Burrows/Lapierre/Perron

Jensen/Eller/Hansen

McLeod/Colborne/Kassian

Hamhuis/Bieksa

Garrison/Tanev

Connauton/Teubert

Eminger

The answer is obviously Weber.

Local boy, consistent play (imagine that), eats huge minutes against top players, is phsyical (imagine that), and would be desired by virtually every other team in the league, easily scoring 15-20 goals.

This would be a colossal upgrade on our backline, and immediately make us significantly tougher to play against

Archived