Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

David Booth's Value..play Him Or Trade Him

Discussion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
103 replies to this topic

#31 6string

6string

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

Keep him, he'll take care of the Bruins :bigblush:

sorry but i dis-agree and what do the bruins have to do with this ( we will only play them twice next year - reg. season), i recall CORRECTLY torres completley disappeared against the bruins and booth is no where near as aggressive or gritty as raffe.

#32 6string

6string

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

Booth wasn't a top 6 point producing forward this year. AV stuck with Kes and Booth all year and we all hoped it would turn for the better. Let's see if Booth is hungry to get top line minutes.

so he's redundant as i posted and is not worth the money i'll add.

#33 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

I'd hold onto him. Give him a full year with the team and add a healthy Kesler into the mix, lets see what happens.

#34 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,515 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Losing: Fire the coach. Trade the team.

Winning: Erect statues. Retire jerseys.

David Booth or Ryan Kesler. Who's more to blame for that line's lack of consistency this season?

They'll both be better next season. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#35 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,499 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

Booth had to deal with an emotional leave and a new city, country and team as far away fro home as he could get.

He had injury issues this last season and never really got on track. Still, he managed 16 goals for a pace of 24 in an 82 game scehdule. Add in, being more familiar and comfortable with the team next year and hopefully healthy and it's not unrealistic to expect a 30- goal season out of him.

Certainly have to give him until January this comong season to see how he does.

#36 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,556 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Two secrets; one is balance on each line & the second expectations.

Keslers line, first & foremost is a role as a league premiere stopper line. That requires, speed, size, attack & physicality. Booth scores high on all. But that is where expectations come into play. AV is happy if they neutralize lines such as Getzlaf / Ryan / Perry.

Balance is a scorer, a digger & a passer plus having already mentioned physical components of size, speed & skill. So far, the passer element has been missing since Samuelsson left & the line was not complimented by Erhoff on D. Higgins can be the digger, but is not a passer. Burrows is the guy who would make the line complete.

What we do for the Twins? Prey that Kassian or Jensen can do what Burrows does, but offer size... Jensen looks like he would be the better scorer, Kassian the glue guy but both are probably a season away.

The team still needs to recruit, develop, trade for or sign at least one key forward to achieve the balance.

But there is no reason Booth cannot be a perfectly functional component.

#37 RiCHC3

RiCHC3

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

I like Booth as a player and as a person, but on a few occasions he looked like he didn't know what position he was supposed to be in when he didn't have the puck. While some of the blame certainly goes on the player, he didn't feel as if he was coached and just left to figure it out on his own.

Once he has that in place, I think his offensive game will improve tremendously, his defensive marginally, but his general playmaking looks like it will always stink and that means he'll lneed some playmakers on that line with him.

#38 lappykass

lappykass

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Having him is more valuble then not having him. Big body, Physical presence, people like him, great powerforward. Just need a playmaking winger.

No matter what fate shall be laid upon us, every season, we will brush off our shoulders and bleed blue

canucks or bust.

#39 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

Booth's cap hit is only 3.8, IMO he's a steal at that price, and he showed chemistry with kesler at times during the season. Why trade him?

No it's not...

#40 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Booth had to deal with an emotional leave and a new city, country and team as far away fro home as he could get.

He had injury issues this last season and never really got on track. Still, he managed 16 goals for a pace of 24 in an 82 game scehdule. Add in, being more familiar and comfortable with the team next year and hopefully healthy and it's not unrealistic to expect a 30- goal season out of him.

Certainly have to give him until January this comong season to see how he does.

Not to mention he had an injury as well, took his knee out remember?

When was his emotional leave?

#41 6string

6string

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Not to mention he had an injury as well, took his knee out remember?

When was his emotional leave?

every trade is an emotional leave no matter how far (probably even more so if it is closer - to a rival team, speaking regionally here ), even worst for a guy who is raising a family. i never heard these sentiments for kassian, gragnani or paulsen or anybody else around the league,so i'll dismiss that after 20 games or so....

#42 6string

6string

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Having him is more valuble then not having him. Big body, Physical presence, people like him, great powerforward. Just need a playmaking winger.

no where on this thread yet have i read the phrasing "wins a lot of battles, tough in the corner " with his big size physical presence.

Edited by 6string, 05 May 2012 - 07:04 PM.

#43 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,143 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

Keep him. He was on pace for 20-25 goals last season and can only get better. He's young, big, has a taste for playoff hockey now and is exactly what this team needs more off. I'd rather see a big physical goal scorer on our top line and Burrows on the 2nd, but Booth and Kesler should gel nicely with Higgins.
Posted Image

#44 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:16 PM

why not?....i mean not that i'm asking for a point per game neither but c'mon 29 points in 56 games...i would have settled for 35 to 42 points to say to myself, "wait till next year" but 29?

I have lesser expectations than I expect Kesler to have some ware between 68-80 points while expect Booth to have between 63-70 points and both should atleast have 30 goals. I am sorry if you are expecting more than that form Booth because you are probably going to be one very disappointed person.

#45 6string

6string

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

I have lesser expectations than I expect Kesler to have some ware between 68-80 points while expect Booth to have between 63-70 points and both should atleast have 30 goals. I am sorry if you are expecting more than that form Booth because you are probably going to be one very disappointed person.

do my math as i replied to earlier....he had 29 pts in 56 games...if you double the total of 56 games played ( 112 )....now double his point production to 112 games played , his total is 58 pts!

at this rate he would have 58 points in 112 games.

your expecting 63 - 70 pts in 82 games with 30 goals!...your expectations are lofty, i'm expecting he'll produce some 50 to 60 maximum pts if your lucky, but more likely high 40's to low 50's.

Edited by 6string, 05 May 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#46 Sully2Cool

Sully2Cool

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

I would keep him.
Posted Image

#47 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

sorry but i dis-agree and what do the bruins have to do with this ( we will only play them twice next year - reg. season), i recall CORRECTLY torres completley disappeared against the bruins and booth is no where near as aggressive or gritty as raffe.

Whooooooosh!
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#48 Ray_Cathode

Ray_Cathode

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,796 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

You keep him and hope that the addition of Parise sparks the 2nd line.

If Parise is looking for a setup man, our second line centre would not be the place to look - the guy we traded would have been...

#49 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

do my math as i replied to earlier....he had 29 pts in 56 games...if you double the total of 56 games played ( 112 )....now double his point production to 112 games played , his total is 58 pts!

at this rate he would have 58 points in 112 games.

your expecting 63 - 70 pts in 82 games with 30 goals!...your expectations are lofty, i'm expecting he'll produce some 50 to 60 maximum pts if your lucky, but more likely high 40's to low 50's.

but as you said above 35 points in points in 42 games if doubled that equals 70 points for booth in around 84 games not 50 to 60 points maximum I am pretty sure that is a contradiction of what you just said

#50 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

We should keep him. He now has a whole summer to train with Kesler and the team. Just you watch, he and Kesler will destroy everyone and lead us to glory.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#51 wrath_jason

wrath_jason

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Trade him. He's just another Mason Raymond, at twice the price.

#52 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:31 PM

Definately a keeper. Next season, I suspect we will see an improvement in his play and that of the second line. This being said, the second line could use a play-making winger who has speed.

Otherwise, Booth is worth more in any kind of trade than Samuelsson and Sturm. Were he be moved as part of the anticipated Luongo/Schneider trade then the Canucks should expect someone very good in return.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#53 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

Higgins - Kes - (Sammy) (YES, I'd sign Samuelsson if they can't find another play making winger who can also score some, and that's what Sammy is :P both Higgins and Sammy can shoot or pass since Kes won't, and the whole line can play physically)

Samuelsson might tell us to f*ck ourselves.

#54 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

If Mason Raymond could hit people then he'd be another Mason Raymond.

#55 6string

6string

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

but as you said above 35 points in points in 42 games if doubled that equals 70 points for booth in around 84 games not 50 to 60 points maximum I am pretty sure that is a contradiction of what you just said

no, i was implying that when he arrived, i was hoping from him to chip in and contribute statistically on the score sheet, he fell well short, so at this rate over 112 games ( projection ) he doesn't even come close.

he arrived with so much fanfare and the trade was endorsed by media n fans, so one would expect an offensive output of more than 29 points, my expectations were somewhere between 35 n 42 points for the balance of the season, he was disapointing.

#56 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,282 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

Can't give up on Booth. He has the hands, size, and speed that every team wants.

He's going to skate with Kesler all summer. So they'll develop chemistry and hopefully push each other in training.

Subbancopy.jpg

#57 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:38 PM

I would keep him.

I must say, i quite enjoy your signature :lol:

zackass.png

#58 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,155 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

If Mason Raymond could hit people then he'd be another Mason Raymond.

*If David Booth somehow fell down with an empty net infront of him to save our season then he would be another Mason Raymond.

zackass.png

#59 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

I think the lines during the off season will look like

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - _____
______ - ______ - ______
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Edler - _____
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Tanev - _____

Then the empty slots will gradually fill up as the season gets closer.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#60 6string

6string

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

Can't give up on Booth. He has the hands, size, and speed that every team wants.

He's going to skate with Kesler all summer. So they'll develop chemistry and hopefully push each other in training.

it all depends, the nux may be involved in a multi-player deal with luongo who knows....ya got to admit playing in the weakest division that booth's numbers wouldn't be better.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.