The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is It Time To Be Fair To The Sedins.

Bodee

i would love to see wayne simmonds play with the sedins , he brings an agressive presence but also has the ability to score a lot of goals ,and with henrik setting him up he could score a shipload of goals , but i cannae see philly trading him .

Burrows should be on our 3rd line with Hansen and Pahlsson - best defensive unit in the NHL.

Higgins should be up with Booth and Kesler - probably the best 2nd line in the NHL.

This is where we needed a top-3 winger for the Sedins. We had the assets with Ehrhoff and Hodgson last season to make a trade, but opted for depth rather than loading up. Fair enough, but now we've let Ehrhoff walk and traded Hodgson for a 4th liner who is far too risky to lean all our chances on. Sure he could develop into a top-6 forward in a few years time, but we needed a scorer NOW for the Sedins to play with and MG didn't get it done.

Burrows should be on our 3rd line with Hansen and Pahlsson - best defensive unit in the NHL.

Higgins should be up with Booth and Kesler - probably the best 2nd line in the NHL.

This is where we needed a top-3 winger for the Sedins. We had the assets with Ehrhoff and Hodgson last season to make a trade, but opted for depth rather than loading up. Fair enough, but now we've let Ehrhoff walk and traded Hodgson for a 4th liner who is far too risky to lean all our chances on. Sure he could develop into a top-6 forward in a few years time, but we needed a scorer NOW for the Sedins to play with and MG didn't get it done.

First off, barring injuries, the Sedins don't have 2-3 good years left in them, they have 5-7. The Sedin skillset is mindboggling passing, finding room on the ice and gaining the zone with efficiency. They are not the speedy jetsetters or the power-forward who crash the net and as a result, i don't see them 'slowing down' due to age much: they are alread on the slower side of the top line units and look how effective they are.

Having said that, we need a bona-fide 30-40 goal-scorer with the Sedins. For the simple reason that against really good defensive teams, the opposition wouldn't be able to dedicate both their star defencemen on the Sedins. Last year, it was Chara and Seidenberg, Keith and Seabrook on the Sedins 24/7, with the centre/winger taking Burrows. Burrows is great, but he isn't a prime scoring talent that'd merit the opposition coach marking a top defenceman for a Burrows assignment.

As such, what we need, is a right hand shot, who is a big body, can pass and make plays with the Sedins. In 2-3 years, that person is Kassian. Till then, we have to find someone else.

That someone else can be Corey Perry or Phil Kessel (two bona-fide right hand shots who are scoring threats in all situations).

Doing this, does many things:

1. It creates the most dangerous line in hockey.

2. It gives us a bona-fide 3rd forward for the 1st unit powerplay, allowing Kesler to drop back centering the 2nd unit. The 2nd unit badly needs a bona-fide centerman. The way we have our powerplay, it is essentially effective for 80 of the 120 seconds, as our 2nd unit is usually simply failing to get set up in the absence of a real centerman. This means, while Kesler is as good as anyone else in front of the net on a PP, our PP is going to go through huge patches of inconsistency- if the 1st unit runs cold, the whole PP is cold.

3. Burrows, Kesler, Hansen, Lapierre are our top checking fowards, in that order. What we need, is a Burrows-Lapierre-Hansen line for the 3rd unit and this would be one of the best third units in the league: it has speed, it has excellent checking, it has the ability to snipe goals when the opposition eases up and it has 3 of our top 5 checking forwards on it.

The added bonus is, incase the 'Sedin triplet' runs cold, we can always switch him with Burrows for shaking things up.

4. It leaves Higgins on the 2nd line with Kesler. Higgins was lights-out good last playoffs with Kesler and IMO, he needs to be on the second line for several reasons: a) he is one of our better playmakers and putting him with 'puck-hog' Kesler creates more room for Kesler. Higgins is also much better in the offensive zone than in the defensive zone (though he isn't a defensive zone liability) and his best-fit is on Kesler's left wing.

What this does too, is opens up a spot for Kassian/someone else on Kesler's right wing, to develop and contribute.

As such, our lineup should be something like:

Sedin-Sedin-Kessel/Perry

Higgins-Kesler-Kassian/<insert name>

Burrows-Lapierre-Hansen

<insert name>-Malhotra-Weise/Bitz

The great thing about this lineup, is that in 2-3 years, when Kassian is ready, we can trade the Sedin triplet for high draft picks (and maybe we can draft in 1-5 spot and start grooming 1st line guys to take over from the Sedins in 4-5 years from now).

IMO, it was our lack of offense that cost us the stanley cup and this years's playoffs. Our defense is fine- what we lack in 1 stud defencemen, we make-up for it in 3-4 top-20 level defencemen and 2-3 extremely good ones. Our goaltending is fien and will be fine for the next decade IMO. What we need, is more scoring threats.

That is our priority #1: find a proven 30-40 goalscorer who is a right hand shot and can cycle. That group of forwards are Corey Perry, Jarome Iginla, Phil Kessel. I lean towards kessel because he makes the most sense ( cap-hit, age, # years left on the contract, etc) but we need one of those guys.

Phil Kessel? Seriously? He's fast and he's got a good shot but he's softer than a pillow and you just know he'd be no help in the playoffs. The Sedins still seem to have trouble in the post season and Phil Kessel would only make it worse on them. Corey Perry if he could be had would be great, despite my intense dislike for his giant baby face. Rick Nash would also be incredible, but doesn't bring the same kind of grit that Perry has. Evander Kane would be awesome too, although he shoots left and probably isn't going anywhere.

Yes and Gillis has never thought of this already right guys?

It is alot easier said then done, the players you are requesting are simply NOT FOR SALE unless you give up ridiculously too much in return. Why would he risk getting fleeced just to bring in a big name guy who can't fill the gaping holes left over from his acquisition?

Selling the future and the farm is something Gillis said he would not do and I he hasn't, cudos on him for that. This core has another 3-4 years left in them, keep the draft picks, develop from within and make smart low risk trades and signings without sacrificing the future.

The core has all the tools it just needs a few more chances to get it done.

Phil Kessel? Seriously? He's fast and he's got a good shot but he's softer than a pillow and you just know he'd be no help in the playoffs. The Sedins still seem to have trouble in the post season and Phil Kessel would only make it worse on them. Corey Perry if he could be had would be great, despite my intense dislike for his giant baby face. Rick Nash would also be incredible, but doesn't bring the same kind of grit that Perry has. Evander Kane would be awesome too, although he shoots left and probably isn't going anywhere.

Yes and Gillis has never thought of this already right guys?

It is alot easier said then done, the players you are requesting are simply NOT FOR SALE unless you give up ridiculously too much in return. Why would he risk getting fleeced just to bring in a big name guy who can't fill the gaping holes left over from his acquisition?

Selling the future and the farm is something Gillis said he would not do and I he hasn't, cudos on him for that. This core has another 3-4 years left in them, keep the draft picks, develop from within and make smart low risk trades and signings without sacrificing the future.

The core has all the tools it just needs a few more chances to get it done.

Corey Perry is the *ideal* scenario as far as 'compatability match' goes. Unfortunately, he is entering his prime, is one of the best right wingers in the game and already earns 5.3 million. He can easily be a 7-8 million dollar long-term player and that, in the long term is too high a cost for the Canucks. The comming year is also the last year of his contract.

I have similar reasons against Iginla ideas: even if we don't give up an arm and a leg for them, another 7 million dollar offensive threat is not what the canucks need.

What we need, is a 5-6/6.5 million dollar player who plays like one ( ie. 30-40 goals in reg. season, almost point/game in the playoffs).

Kessel fits the bill: he is a speedy winger, who is fairly strong on the puck and an excellent shot. Yes, he will get banged up and he won't go charging around, but i do believe he can cycle and he is a great shooter. He also has 2 years remaining in his contract- ie, it gives us 1 year extra before (and if) we trade him, 1 year more for Kassian to develop in the 2nd line/minors.

IMO, what totally works for the Canucks is a Phil Kessel + 3rd Round (TOR) for Luongo + 2nd Round (VAN) type deal.

Or a Phil Kessel + 2nd Round (TOR) for Schneider + 3rd Round (Van).

Toronto badly needs a starting goalie. Luongo/Schneider are going to be perfect fits for Toronto .

Kessel has no intimidation factor going by his record. He is not even particularly big. No, imo it has to be someone who stares defences down while putting up 50-60 points.

I would say Evander Kane but he plays on the wrong wing. I am dubious about playing players out of position after seeing the transformation in Ballard when he went to his natural side.

Once the Aquilinis have decided who is going to coach next season, the staff have to look at the areas they need to improve on next year.

Blowing up the team and starting again would be crazy, and totally unecessary. Where are the priorities and who is available on the UFA market?

1) A bona fide right winger for the Sedins. Burrows is a great player on this team, but he is not a prolific scorer. I think Burr should be on the third line. Players like Perry, Kessel are either unavailable or would cost us too much.

How about PA Parenteau of the New York Islanders? He may not have a huge physical presence at 6'0" and 193 lbs, but he puts up points. Last season he had 67 points and the year before 53. If he can put up those kinds of numbers on a bottom feeder like the Islanders, what would he acheive with a pair of Sedins on his line?

2) A second line centre to put up points and stand between David Booth and Ryan Kesler. Kes and Booter don't pass much and both like to shoot first, and then shoot second. If they had quality supply from a Centre, who can also put up points, we would have two high quality scoring lines.

My first choice for the second line centre would be Jiri Hudler of Detroit and my second choice would be Jarrett Stoll of the LA Kings. I would be very surprised if these two don't sign again with their respective teams. If they leave thier current clubs, it will be for high numbers.

So how about an unrestricted free agent who puts up more points than either Hudler or Stoll, and would almost certainly come cheaper? Step forward Olli Jokinen of the Flames. His last five seasons, he has scored 61 - 54 - 50 - 57 - 71 points. Olli is 33 now, but he has a few good years left yet, I'm sure.

This would give us a top six of:

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - PA Parenteau

David Booth - Olli Jokinen - Ryan Kesler

By no means is this a slur, or knock on Ryan Kesler. He didn't have a great season, but he is still a great player - hated and feared by opponents. Several forum members have recently suggested he moves to the right wing, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. Kes is great at the dot, winning a good percentage of face-offs, but he is not a playmaker. A good rest this summer, followed by good conditioning and Kes will be back to full strength.

3) A right - sided Defenseman, to partner Edler. The UFA market is pretty limited here, but I would suggest Dennis Wideman of Washington. He is 29 and in his prime. This would leave us with a nicely balanced D core of:

Dan Hamhuis - Kevin Bieksa

Alex Edler - Dennis Wideman

Keith Ballard - Sami Salo/Christopher Tanev.

If Sami decides to retire this summer, then we need two right - handed D men.

None of the above suggestions include any possible trades which could take place this summer. I guess a lot of players could move and some may go down to the minors, but I don't see anyone currently in Chicago, who is breaking the doors down to get to the big league. Eddie Lack is probably the only one with a realistic chance of coming up in October.

An interesting summer ahead for Canucks fans - let's look ahead with confidence and hope that our management make the right choices, whatever they may be.

Archived