The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Malhotra's Return To Form

It's March 16th, 2011. On a seemingly normal game against the Colorado Avalanche, little did anyone know, that Manny Malhotra's life would be changed forever. Midway through the game, a Colorado player accidentally deflected a puck that hit the visor-less Malhotra in the left eye, leaving him partially blinded. For months, fans and analysts alike speculated that Malhotra's career may have been ended. However, months later, during a deep Canucks run in the playoffs that lead them to the Stanley Cup final, Malhotra was cleared for contact, and eventually, play. On June 4th, 2011, Manny Malhotra returned to the Canucks line-up against all doubt, and to the absolute pleasure of the fans. The building of Roger's Arena echoed with the chant "Manny". So, you may ask yourself, what relevance does this have to Malhotra? There are a few important connections here, including Malhotra's diminished role in the 2011-12 season, his decreased level of play, and just what could happen.

Firstly, we come to his decreased level of play. During the 2011-12 NHL regular season, many fans and analysts criticised Malhotra for his play. He was a shell of the former player he was, having a short offseason and little time to recover for the regular season. As the Canucks neared the end of the regular season, and the trade deadline, many fans were calling for Malhotra to be shipped out, mainly because that their opinion of him had changed from star defensive forward, to has-been. Needless to say, this wasn't enough to get a character like Malhotra traded, not one bit.

Yet, many of Canuck fans wonder.. What will Malhotra do next season? Well, if you're wondering I can tell you. With a full offseason to recover, and being able to go through a full training camp, Malhotra will look different than ever next season. He'll be better than before. I'm confident in it. He'll have a return to form. And yes, the same could be said for Canucks franchise center Ryan Kesler.

Go Canucks go, and go Manny go!

628x471.jpg

An athlete like Manny has been able to adapt to doing things different. That being said I fully agree that not only will Manny be able to benefit from a full off season but so too will the ret of the team. Manny recovered quickly and "got back on the horse". The Nucks season will show a renewed team and fan base as well. Go Nucks.

NUFF SAID

A friend of mine lost his eye in a motocross accident. It took him 1-2 yrs to train his remaining eye to adjust, and now he's back playing hockey, riding bikes and everything else he did prior to the injury. Obviously Manny didn't lose his eye, but he lost a % of his vision. After the SCF last yr, he had further surgery and no training camp - thus had no time to train. I think with 6 full months to recover and train - he'll be fine. Maybe not 100%, but pretty close to it. Looking forward to seeing him next season.

Godd summary, here here & also good luck Manny!

The question is if it's all the eye, or if the lack of off-season training is what really took a toll on him.

Not expecting a full-form recovery, but perhaps his career is salvageable with a longer, proper summer. Cheers.

TOML

Archived