The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Would You Give Up?

Several threads have been made on aquiring Shea Webber. Since most fellow CDC'ers are dead set on this...I thought I might ask which of our top three D men you would be willing to give up to make room.

Webber is a number one D man, I think we can all agree, both in salary and ability. Our current top three defencemen Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler are making 4.6, 4.5, and 3.5 respectably. Now I point out Edler will be due for a raise after next year in the area of the previous mentioned top two.

This will bring our top three Defencemen to a cap hit somewhere in the realm of over 14 million. While still not addressing our scoring needs OR having what people are calling a STUD defenceman.... Compare with these teams top three ....

Nashville 13 m (with Webber)

Boston 12.3 (with Chara)

L.A. 13.9 (with Doughty)

Detroit 12.6 (with Lidstrom)

I've noted these teams because they all have a "Stud" or "Number 1" D man with lower cap hits on their top three. I ask again, if you really want webber to come to our team which of our top three guys would you be willing to give up while still maintaining the cap room to address our scoring needs.

Overpayment ;)

Here's what I proposed:

To Vancouver: rights to Shea Weber & Ryan Suter

To Nashville: David Booth + Keith Ballard + Kevin Bieksa + Manny Malhotra + rights to Sami Pahlsson + Anton Rodin + Curtis Hamilton + Van, Cbj, and Edm 2012 2nd's.

The other trades:

To Vancouver: Patrick Kane + Jeremy Morin + Corey Crawford

To Chicago: Roberto Luongo + Mason Raymond + 2014 2nd

-----------------------------

To Vancouver: Ryan Jones + Curtis Hamilton + 2012 2nd

To Edmonton: Corey Crawford + 2012 5th

----------------------------

To Vancouver: 2012 2nd

To Columbus: Ryan Jones

cosidering it would take a package that would probably have to include Edler to get Weber I'd say him but in a perfect world it'd be Ballard+Booth to make room for Weber.

Overpayment ;)

Here's what I proposed:

To Vancouver: rights to Shea Weber & Ryan Suter

To Nashville: David Booth + Keith Ballard + Kevin Bieksa + Manny Malhotra + rights to Sami Pahlsson + Anton Rodin + Curtis Hamilton + Van, Cbj, and Edm 2012 2nd's.

The other trades:

To Vancouver: Patrick Kane + Jeremy Morin + Corey Crawford

To Chicago: Roberto Luongo + Mason Raymond + 2014 2nd

-----------------------------

To Vancouver: Ryan Jones + Curtis Hamilton + 2012 2nd

To Edmonton: Corey Crawford + 2012 5th

----------------------------

To Vancouver: 2012 2nd

To Columbus: Ryan Jones

Several threads have been made on aquiring Shea Webber. Since most fellow CDC'ers are dead set on this...I thought I might ask who you would be willing to give up to make room.

Webber is a number one D man, I think we can all agree, both in salary and ability. Our current top three defencemen Bieksa, Hamhuis and Edler are making 4.6, 4.5, and 3.5 respectably. Now I point out Edler will be due for a raise after next year in the area of the previous mentioned top two.

This will bring our top three Defencemen to a cap hit somewhere in the realm of over 15 million. While still not addressing our scoring needs OR having what people are calling a STUD defenceman.... Compare with these teams top three ....

Nashville 13 m (with Webber)

Boston 12.3 (with Chara)

L.A. 13.9 (with Doughty)

Detroit 12.6 (with Lidstrom)

I've noted these teams because they all have a "Stud" or "Number 1" D man with lower cap hits on their top three. I ask again, if you really want webber to come to our team which of our top three guys would you be willing to give up while still maintaining the cap room to address our scoring needs.

NSH is going to want a guy that is not only a high-calibre NHL player, but one they can market, too.  Edler is not a very marketable player.

Our top marketable players are: The Sedins, Kesler, Luongo, Schneider, and Burrows.  The Sedins would leave a huge hole on our offense plus they're the franchise.  NSH doesn't need a goalie and Burrows isn't a high enough calibre of player to get a Weber.  That leaves Kesler, who I'd hate to see leave, but if it's for Weber, that would balance the disappointment.

On what planet does Edler get $5.9M or more on his next contract? Edler's contract will be $4.5M-ish like the other 2, which would put us in the $13.5M range.

Also, if you're going to estimate based on what Edler will get next year, you have to do it for the other teams, too. Suter is going to go for $6M+ (probably a lot higher), Brad Stuart is going to get a raise (probably somewhere between $4M and $4.5M), etc.

As for what I'd give up for Weber, I'm not sure what we have what NSH would want for him. You're talking big-time trade value here. Kesler, a 1st, and a prospect probably at the minimum.

I seriously believe MG is going to make a go at Weber via offer-sheet this summer. I'm not sure if I want it to be long- or short-term however. If it's long-term and NSH matches, obviously that means Weber won't be a Canuck for a very long time, if ever. If it's short-term and NSH doesn't match and Weber decides he doesn't like the organization/media/fanbase, we could give up a lot of draft picks for a short-term solution.

Like mentioned before, Nashville losing Weber means there losing there captain, there market, and their franchise. Its arguable that Rinne is their franchise, but thats like us losing Kesler, who has grown to be the most marketable player we have. So no, i wouldnt trade Kesler for Weber unless they took some salary ( ballard, raymond ) Though i would LOVE to have Weber, i just think too many teenage girls would be upset

Like mentioned before, Nashville losing Weber means there losing there captain, there market, and their franchise. Its arguable that Rinne is their franchise, but thats like us losing Kesler, who has grown to be the most marketable player we have. So no, i wouldnt trade Kesler for Weber unless they took some salary ( ballard, raymond ) Though i would LOVE to have Weber, i just think too many teenage girls would be upset

Archived