The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It Stings A Little More This Year

juliusgulius

It stings so much less that the last three years. I'm still not over losing to Calgary in 2004, or Chicago and Boston the last three years. I was over losing to LA in less than a week. I dunno if it was going down 3-0 gave me time to rationalize and accept it or if the shock of the Finals and riot last year was just so much heavier, but this season seemed like a write-off from before the playoffs even started.

There was a black cloud over the Canucks from day one, the negativity stemming from the Finals and the riot hung over the team and the fans and the media and the whole city throughout. Whenever somebody mentioned the Canucks it'd all come bubbling back up. The booing Luongo in meaningless end-of-season games, the embarrassing PSA's begging people not to riot again...if you ask me this season pretty much never happened. It's not even over yet and I've already written it off. The whole thing was just a mental exercise to internalize and accept losing in the Finals.

As a community of sports fans we needed it, we needed this year, there was no way this team could win in the environment we all created here. There was too much negativity, it was like a curse on everything that happened involving the Canucks. I just wanna see everyone take the summer, get their heads sorted out and get back to being the fans that supported this team all the way to the Finals, not the fans that took their eye off the ball and started freaking out over every little thing.

Not so sure that I can agree. Last year it was an emotional roller coaster, overcoming Chicago and beating the demons that have haunted us. Then making it to the Conference final and ultimately winning that. Then we were in the Cup final, up 3-2 and tied 3-3. Two kicks at the can, and we couldn't get it done. By all means, last year was way more disappointing and it stung more. We were so close, and then it slipped away.

I disagree. Getting to within 1 win of the Stanley Cup and not winning is WAY tougher. Losing in 5 games in the first round where your team largely coasted through the year is much easier in comparison. I would rather it be done quickly and painlessly than watching the team for a few months and come so close only to go home empty handed.

To quote Seinfeld, "You should just do it like a Band-Aid. One motion, RIGHT OFF!"

I disagree. Getting to within 1 win of the Stanley Cup and not winning is WAY tougher. Losing in 5 games in the first round where your team largely coasted through the year is much easier in comparison. I would rather it be done quickly and painlessly than watching the team for a few months and come so close only to go home empty handed.

To quote Seinfeld, "You should just do it like a Band-Aid. One motion, RIGHT OFF!"

Losing at home in Game 7 of the SCF stung way more than being eliminated in the first round this year. For me, it was completely anticlimactic when we lost..........in fact, I think I had already come to terms with the suspicion that we weren't going to make it out of the first round so when we were eliminated, I'd already dealt with it.

There was something about the season from January on that just didn't feel right to me so the fact that we won the President's Cup was great but I had a feeling that we weren't going to win anything after that. It seemed as though I was much more invested in our boys last season (someone earlier in the thread called it an 'emotional rollercoaster) and that great run all the way to the SCF. Perhaps my SCF hangover lasted much longer than I thought it did.

:(

Nah, last year really stung the worst! This year MG had some tweaks but not the right ones BUT that being said i still have hope he can bring in what is needed, it won't be easy though and if anyone thinks it will be they are sadly mistaken.

IMO, we need 2 bigger skilled forwards for the top 2 lines. We're hardly physical enough to handle the bigger tougher teams in the league and add to that another big skilled defenceman. We certainly have enough depth to trade for that although some of us may not like what we'd lose but who knows what MG is going to try and pull off this summer.

I think most fans were stung by the fact that we were eliminated in the first round...not by the fact we were eliminated.

There was something about this years squad that was not quite right right..we rarely dominated,and last years hunger was not really evident.Even winning the Presidents trophy seemed a bit artificial.

I thought we would make it too the conference finals at least ....but after being handily beaten,I'm sure the Canucks could use this long summer to refocus.

On my previous post, of needed some bigger bodies for the team.. i think MG did his best to try and do it with getting Bitz and Kassian although it'd be nice to get a cpl of bigger skilled guys for the very short term for them to learn from. I just think perimeter guys like Raymond are not the answer to our problems by a long shot. (scuse the pun) We need guys who are big enough to go to the front of the net and take punishment,there's simply too many good goalies in the league now who if they can see the puck can make the save.

Last year was so much worse!!! I really believed that they would win it all last year.. but this year, the way they were playing heading into the playoffs, I had my doubts. Last year was SO much harder to take :/

Archived