The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Mike Gillis Agrees To Contract Extension

hockeyville88

Since we're basing this discussion on your opinion, rather than actual stats which of course, don't support your argument, I'm going to opine that out of almost 50 shots, at least 60% were good shots which would still have the Canucks outshooting the Kings. (That would also assume that every one of the LA shots were quality shots)

No, he is the best, I like him but a new voice is needed, a better motivating voice. And a ton of coaches could have won the pres trophy's with our team, and maybe could also get our team to play at there best so we didn't choke in the playoffs every year.

Well what do you call these?

-surrendering a late 3rd peirod lead and also two 2 goal leads (I believe), in game 6 against chicago (2009), 2010 hawks would have beat us anyways so I wont count that.

-being up 2 games in the finals and losing 4 of 5 games, and getting dominated in those losses.

-coming up completely flat against LA, no motivation, when we should have won and been taken out in game easy games. LA was way better than us, not even close.

Idk what you call those but to me there obvious chokes, and if you don't think so then maybe you should define your idea of a choke.

The blame for the fubar performances in seasons past is not solely anyone's fault. It's a collective fault.

1st and foremost it's the fault of the players not showing up.

2nd it's the fault of AV and the associate coaching staff for not being able to utilize the players we had at these particular times effectively enough to get the style of play and subsequent victories that were needed.

3rd, it's the fault of MG for not acquiring enough pieces to make the coaching staff's job a little less stressful.

It all rolls downhill, if MG gets all the right pieces to form the most cohesive lineup, the coaching staff can adequately do their jobs more effectively and the players respond and we get our results. You can't blame it all on MG for not getting the all the parts because hindsight is 20/20, you can't just blame the coaches for not getting the most out of their lineups if they don't have the necessary complimentary pieces.

The one constant that you can blame, is the players for not showing up and I don't just mean on the ice. We don't know what happens behind closed doors with this team, but all indications lead to AV being a rather hands off coach and letting the leadership core of this team hold the reins. If that's true, then it's up to the leadership core to chime in with suggestions on how certain things might or might not work, AV can only do so much observationally.

I don't know if AV is receptive to that, or if he's a hard ass "my way or the highway" kind of guy, but perhaps that will be one of MG's mandates for allowing AV to continue through the remaining year of his contract.

MG has stated numerous times that this team from a managerial and coaching standpoint do things by committee, if that also is true AV will have to become more of a "team player" if he wants to earn a contract extension. Hell, if I sign a contract with my employer, they won't say "Hey, you've done a great job up until now, we know you only have a year left so here's another 5 year extension, just to put your mind at ease". I fully expect MG to allow AV back with some specific mandates, but I don't expect a contract extension.

I wouldn't be shocked to see MacT come on as an associate coach to help develop rookie talent at the NHL level, instead of allowing them to toil in 4th line and non-impact minutes in games. With Kesler out for 6 months with shoulder surgery, I expect Shroeder to get a good look, and even Jensen through camp and pre-season.

We saw how being so near the cap handcuffed us when it came to the trade deadline, and I don't think MG is going to make that same mistake twice. Trading Luongo will give us marginal cap relief after you factor a Schneider re-signing, and with the possibility of the cap ceiling being reduced by 2 million. I can see MG maybe bring on a free agent in the 2-2.5M range on a 1 year deal (Whitney?), a backup goaltender for Schneider in the 1.5M range (Vokoun?) and some grit and toughness that can move up and down the line.

Even though we went out quickly in the first round,it still seems a bit crazy to fire a coach after he coached a squad to winning a Presidents Trophy..??

After watching us play catchup to LA (maybe AV's fault he didnt properly motivate his team in the first two games)..it did seem apparent that our team was physically not strong enough (maybe MG's fault for our lack of toughness and spotty defence core) to overcome the physicality of the Kings(their 4th line was outstanding)

Archived