The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Mike Gillis Agrees To Contract Extension

hockeyville88

Re AV, this is what it says on Sportsnet:

Now that he has secured a new deal, Gillis will address Vigneault's status as soon as possible. The GM said it is his decision whether Vigneault remains behind the Canucks bench, and he wants the coach to continue with the club.

"He's done an excellent job, and he'll obviously be the first thing on the agenda once I have an opportunity to execute on the plan we have," said Gillis.

Vigneault has guided the Canucks to back-to-back Presidents' Trophies. He has served for six seasons with the club after being hired by former GM Dave Nonis prior to the Aquilinis' purchase from former Seattle-based ower John McCaw in 2008.

Several Canuck players, including Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler, have expressed their desire for Vigneault to stay on. Gillis said Vigneault has given "every indication" that he wants to remain with the club.

However, Gillis sidestepped the question of whether he would offer a contract extension. Vigneault, a former NHL coach of the year whose future has come under intense speculation, is entering the final year of his deal.

You cannot deny that the team under Gillis has been the best in Canucks history.

Only people speculating Gillis may lose his job are trolls and fans/media of other teams that would like him there.

AV will likely be kept as well. But as usual coaches are on a much shorter leash. If the Canucks REALLY fail at mid-next season or whenever, we may see the axe fall. But Gillis usually chooses to find reasons why the team is failing other than the coaching before deciding it's the coaching. We'll see. Cheers.

TOML

Funny; Bleacher report of top 101 players has Schenn 4 players ahead Hamhuis (85th to 89th best NHL player by memory).

Respectfully I disagree with that assessment; but would trade Ballard for him in a heartbeat. We need a big physical defensive defender... & Ballard is locked behind Hamhuis & Edler on the left side.

I wouldn't trade Ballard for Schenn.

<p>

Who needs sources. It's called integrity, and Mike Gillis strikes me as having a ton of it...meaning that MG would step down from his role if ownership started telling him how to do his job.Unlike a guy like say Doug Maclean, who not only fired his coach, but started coaching the CBJ himself because his owner told him to.

Last I checked, there were only 4 guys that had not been picked up by MG. Edler, Schneider, Raymond & kesler were RFA's when re-signed by us (did I miss anyone, was Hansen drafted by Gillis?), but The Twins, Burrows, Bieksa, Lou were Unrestricted & had the option of leaving. The fact he created a legacy of retaining top talent, many on good value deals, is the biggest reason MG is revered!

He deserves to be back and I'm glad he's signed but he has been overrated, he's a good GM but not near how many fans talk about him, he has a lot to prove before he deserves the status he gets. I think Gillis will be a great GM but overrated he is, this team is still Burkes and DN guys.

I can't help but laugh at all the idipts here who are actually upset that MG will be back. It also funny how you pathetic haters talk about his "horrible" trades. He may have made a few trades that haven't worked out, but they have been far from horrible. That's the beauty of having the depth we have.

So all you MG and AV haters, kiss my ass and suck it! MG is here to stay. He is without a doubt the best GM we have ever had.

I love how he said, "Unfinished business." lol. Gillis is a smart gm. We are not just a division title choker. We are actually the best regular season team that got beaten in the 1st round. Gillis knows this team is very close to a championship and to quit, will be utterly retarded, and all that work is for nothing. He will quit, he will probably get hired by another team quickly and start again, from way behind. Good job Gillis, hope to have you for another 10 years. The moves he's made in the past 4 years, shows that he's not a stupid gm, he makes good moves.

Right, because you know him so well. I am not trying to sound like a dick, I just think you should have better sources than personal opinion (even though I can only assume you do not know Gillis or his family at all and probably have not met the guy even once).

Just like how Nashville stuck with Dan Poile since 1999, missing the playoffs many times!

Just like how Darcy Regher and Lindy Ruff is still with Buffalo for 16 seasons now, despite missing the playoffs many times.

The owner ship knew they are doing a good job, if you notice, they are still with their team.

I have no problem with going with Gillis and A.V for a very long haul. Honestly, he's a good coache.

True story A.V. In 2006, Pittsburgh wanted to hire A.V. Because he was under us, it would have costed them a draft pick if they want to take A.V off our hands while he was still under the Vancouver Canucks. In the end, they didn't want to do that. A.V is a good coach.

So luck Nashville and Buffalo, having the same coach and gm' for over 10 years, i'm ok with having A.V and Gillis for the long haul.

Good Stuff,

In the Gillis regime theres been bad moves but far more good then bad. So I'm happy about this, curious on how he is going to treat the goalie situation, I wonder if this was brought up in his interview with Aquilini.

Last I checked, there were only 4 guys that had not been picked up by MG. Edler, Schneider, Raymond & kesler were RFA's when re-signed by us (did I miss anyone, was Hansen drafted by Gillis?), but The Twins, Burrows, Bieksa, Lou were Unrestricted & had the option of leaving. The fact he created a legacy of retaining top talent, many on good value deals, is the biggest reason MG is revered!

I don't know where they got that about Burrows and Kesler wanting AV back. I just copied it, as is, from the Sportsnet report, much of which was shown as quotes from MG (although not that part). I don't know if SN made it up, or whether the players told them, or if it was just a misquote of a diplomatic comment by a player. :D

He's made some bad and questionable trades like the Booth trade, Sams is a great player and playoff performer, Ballard trade he paid way too much and let Mitchell go for Ballard, letting Torres go, not replacing Ehrhoff, the Hodgson trade. I think he is a good GM and could be a great one but he's made some bad moves and calls, I don't hate Gillis and like him more than dislike him so I'm glad he's back but Gillis still has a lot to prove as all our star and key players are all Burke/DN guys expect Hamhuis, even our coach isn't from Gillis. Another concern with Gillis is that him and AV have become great friends and I hope Gillis's friendship with AV isn't the reason why he can't replace the guy.

No, Sam wasn't a good playoff performer. Yeah, he did alright against LA in 2010, then disappeared later. He was also making lazy plays. Booth is a great player and I am glad we made the trade.

Screw Mitchell. Where was he before this season? Oh, that's right, nowhere. Quit suddenly overrating him.

Gillis isn't an idiot, and neither is AV. They are the best we've ever had. That's a fact. Gillis hasn't made a horrible move yet, contrary to what many idiots on here say. Maybe not all have been great, but they haven't actually cost us, regardless of what the haters want to tell themselves.

Not saying Gillis should have been fired but there was a case to be made. I mean he did overpay for several of his players and did do some dumb transactions. His offer for Sundin the original one was very risky. Imagine if Mats had signed a 2 year deal for 10 mill per, that would have probably meant the twins would not have resigned as there would not have been enough cap space to resign them. The deal he signed the Twins for originally was overpayment. At the time they were 80 point players getting 6 mill a year, in 2009 that was overpayment. He also chose the wrong pony between Raymond and Grabner. He is also responsible for being hamstrung by the Ballard contract and potentially the Booth contract. He is also responsible for the monster Luongo contract.

The players that have developed under MG's time have all been Nonis or Burke guys. Yes he has made some shrewed moves like acquiring Ehrhoff. However, it is important to keep in mind he has made some very dumb moves in his tenure as well.

Archived