The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Mike Gillis Agrees To Contract Extension

hockeyville88

I definitely think AV will stay, but I get a strong feeling from what Gillis said that he plans to reshuffle the assistant coaches.

Sorry "Bones", it doesn't matter if you and AV are buddies, our D has consistently broken down over the years under your watch. Time to get some fresh blood in the assistant coaching position, and it may even include Mactavish.

That could be a lot of things such as development, Kesler was 23, Sedins 27, Edler 21, Bieksa 26. The fact is simple this team that your calling Gillis the best we've ever had is made up of Burke/DN guys and this is why I say Gillis is very overrated, he's a good GM, maybe even great but this team is built more by Burke/DN.

Not the news I wanted to hear, regardless, it's now the reality.

Curious what this team will look like next yr. Surely they don't think they can go into next season with the same GM, same coach, same team and simply pray for different results - Einstein would call that insanity.

After Daniel was elbowed in the head, Friedman stated Gillis was seriously thinking of going Boston style. I.e. Creating a team that would defend itself cause they can no longer rely on the league to do so. After leading the league on the 'victim' side of suspensions, I wonder if Gillis has seen enough. I hope he makes moves this summer to bring in bigger/tougher bodies for the top and bottom 6. Then hopefully next yr, a Sedin won't be forced to watch from the sidelines as the playoffs begin.

Even though that's true, every contract currently on this team was signed by Gillis.

It was him and the team that he hired that was able to sign players to great contracts, and manipulate the cap to give us an awesome window here to win a championship.

Basically he took what was already good, and made it great. A level that Nonis and Burke could never reach here.

Gillis does 5 good things for every bad thing. Keeping him is alright to me.

Coaching staff can be better but compared to the league it's above avg in the regular season but at on par or below avg in the playoffs. Lack of a good replacement means AV stays in the short term.

Hockey has disappointed me this year. The west conf finals is ugly. Hope the Canucks can save hockey.

I disagree it was well known the core wanted to stay together but those deals at the time were fair prices that are now steals because of how much the cap has gone up. Many were hoping to sign Kesler to Jordan Staal salary, a 4 mil cap hit so at the time Kesler's contract was fair but has turned into a steal with how his game has progressed and with how much the cap has gone up. Lets make up the team as Burke/DN guys

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Raymond Kesler

......... ......... Hansen

......... ......... ............

Edler Salo

........ Bieksa

........ ..........

Luongo

Schneider

AV

as you can see this teams key players are from Burke/DN not from Gillis.

Burke won a cup, I think Burke is a pretty damn good GM, he's in a hard spot in Toronto cause that team is crap and was crap before he got there. But many overrate Gillis, doesn't mean he isn't good, I like him and like his idea for building this team for the future but to call him the best we've ever had but yet all our stars, leaders, core and key guys are from Burke and DN proves the point that Gillis is overrated, doesn't mean he isn't good, he is a good GM.

Burke won a cup, I think Burke is a pretty damn good GM, he's in a hard spot in Toronto cause that team is crap and was crap before he got there. But many overrate Gillis, doesn't mean he isn't good, I like him and like his idea for building this team for the future but to call him the best we've ever had but yet all our stars, leaders, core and key guys are from Burke and DN proves the point that Gillis is overrated, doesn't mean he isn't good, he is a good GM.

Archived