The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Or Thornton?

Just wanted some discussion on this and just want to hear what people think.

Would you guys want Thornton rather than Kesler if a trade were to happen? Obviously we would have to give up more than just Kesler, because Thornton is considered an elite player and also he has $ 2mil more in salary. Not saying it will happen, just wondering if it could. I know many fans don't like him, but he is still one of the best passers in the NHL with size.

I just think SJ might be looking to go in a different direction with their core players after another playoff failure, so it could be a possibility.

Would you guys want him and if so what a realistic trade might look like.

2nd line with Thornton centering and passing to a guy like Booth would be pretty awsome.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Booth Thornton Burrows

pretty awsome if it ever happend,

We all know the 2nd line wasn't as expected this season and didn't produce and a lot of talk of Kesler not using his linemates. I think if it could happen, I would take Thornton. Just imagaine Joe Thornton on a 2nd line not playing against top d pairings and checkers.

Interesting, on the surface it looks like a no brainer in favour of Thornton. Why? Massive assist totals. The man is a beast and reads the ice excellently.

All of San Jose's playoff failures can't be placed solely on him, no more than the Canucks failures can't all be placed on Kesler.

I'm a HUGE Kesler fan, and obviously he had an off year. He will be shredding his summer workouts which will include longer time away from the regular season combined with, hopefully, no off season surgery. Should San Jose call and want to do a one for one swap maybe I would listen (if I was in charge of anything thaty is), but to ask for more pieces than just he I would politely refuse.

Kesler will be back with a vengeance next season.

I hope.

edit: Forgot to mention age... edge Kesler, hence not being willing to add more pieces to any deal.

I still want Kes to get his shot at a redemption season where he is FULLY healthy.

no point in trading. Thornton is a great player, more like a Sedin-style player but bigger and tougher. ie. he has put up 100+ point seasons, so is a bona-fide all-star.

Kesler is younger, a Selke winner (also making him a bona-fide all-star), and is grittier if he can actually stay healthy.

If both are at the top of their game, it would be a hard choice - but based on age difference alone: Kesler.

I think I still would. Thornton has over 1000 pts and him and Hank have been the leaders in assists since the lockout, you wouldn't want both

on your team? Not taking anything away from Kesler however.

Thornton/Hank as top 2 centers > Hank/Kesler top 2 centers

One question for you, if Hank and Joe are racking up 90 assists per year each on the Canucks, who is it that is getting all of the goals? Joe's setup is only half of the equation.

Archived