The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Or Thornton?

If the choice was Joe Thornton or a punch in the face....... I would take the punch. Kesler has an off year and every one dumps on him. Wait and watch. Kes will be back next year.

Thornton probably connects the dots with his teammates better; I mean, look at the impact on Jonathan Cheechoo's career after that 56-goal season playing on Joe's wing. Who knows? Higgins, Burrows, Hansen, heck even Raymond should have better numbers after Joe pulls two defenders to himself.

Twins - Burr

Higgins - Thornton - Booth

with even Raymond, who's shoot-first and Hansen available as possible line mates. Of course I'd want Datsyuk. :P

Sometimes I just don't get Canucks fans. One bad season and all of a sudden someone wants a guy who chokes consistently in the playoffs over a 41 goal, 70 point Selke winner who single handedly won a playoff series last year.

No show Joe for Kes?? No deal! I probably wouldn't consider taking no show for anything actually... he's consistently a non-playoff factor. B-town won the cup without him. For those people thinking otherwise...how is thorton, marleau, couture not stacked? Playoff heart matters...

Thornton and Kesler are far different players

Kesler boasts a ton more defensive qualities which are important for a center, Thornton doesn't backcheck most of the time.

So what you ask Thornton vs Kesler has no argument, for in our lineup:

Henrik / Kesler > Henrik / Thornton

however in a first line offensive role

Thornton > Kesler

likewise a 2nd line, offensive but relied more so than the first to shut the opposing first / second line scoring.

Kesler > Thronton

Thornton is a better player than Kesler but Kesler is younger. I'd say theur values are

similar, slight edge to Kesler as he can PK.

I wouldn't make the trade if proposed purely on Kesler's potential. If Kesler were to have another sub-par his value will drop significantly , expected a solid season from him this year.

Archived