The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Would You Keep Or Get Rid Of On Our Team Moving Forward In The Next 2 Years

nucklehead2

After this upcoming season the Canucks and Mike Gillis have some interesting decisions to make about contract extensions and who not to extend... and most of them involve a group of players the team has had success with in the past few seasons. Here are a list of players after the 2012- 2013 that will need new contracts who would you keep?

Personally I'd say everyone but Burrows and Edler would be gone

UFA's: Manny Malhotra, Alex Burrows, Chris Higgins, Maxim Lapierre, Alex Edler, Andrew Alberts

There are also a bunch of RFA's who are young up and coming prospects who will be restricted after next season.

For more here's CapGeek: http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=29

I hope we dump Raymond this coming summer. I've said it before, I hope someone offer sheets Raymond so we can get a pick out of it.

In two years time you cannot let guys like Burrows, Higgins, Edler and Lapierre go. It's safe to assume these guys are apart of the core of this team, and all have taken a pay cut to continue to play here, I can't see any of them leaving.

Malholtra will hopefully retire, I'd like to see him with the organization as a scout or auxillary. His injury is unfortunate, hard to justify that kind of contract for a 4th line centre, especially with a cap rollback.

Keep!

Edler

Burrows

Tanev

Keep.

Gragnani

Keep only If...

Higgins - only if he doesn't ask for more than 2mil

Lapierre - only if he doesn't ask for more than 1.5mil

Malhotra - only if he takes a pay cut

Raymond - only if he takes a pay cut, and we use him in a checking role

Bitz and Wiese - only if there are open spots as a 12th and 13th forward, and they do not ask for

large pay increases

Rome - only if we don't have better options for a 6-7 dman

Salo - only if he doesn't retire

Dump!

Alberts

Ebbet

Volpatti

Pahlsson

Trade

Schneider

or

Luongo

(I'm not ballsy enough to make that decision)

It's not so much who we would let go. I would keep everyone if I had my way.

However, the way I see it now, we are a Perry first line gritty sniper, an Evander Kane and a big rugged defender (it doesn't have to be Weber and I think Suter is too small) short of being where we need to be.

To accomplish that I would part with anyone bar the Sedins, Kesler Burrows and Kassian in offence and Bieksa and Hamhuis (and Salo if he'll come back) in defence.

Anyone else on the roster is fair game to achieve this.

It is not as if we would lose everyone else anyway.

Of the upcoming UFA's only

Keep: Alex Burrows, Chris Higgins, Maxim Lapierre, Alex Edler,

Let walk: Manny Malhotra, Andrew Alberts

obviously this depends on how much each player is asking for but based on current salaries the above is how I would do it.

Keep!

Edler

Burrows

Tanev

Keep.

Gragnani

Keep only If...

Bitz and Wiese - only if there are open spots as a 12th and 13th forward, and they do not ask for

large pay increases

Dump!

Alberts

Ebbet

Volpatti

Pahlsson

Trade

Schneider

or

Luongo

I'd trade Burr and Luongo (or Schneider - much rather keep Schneider, but one of them needs to go - that's a lot of value just sitting there on the table, otherwise) and keep everyone else. I know, I know. Burr is good with the Swededs (most of the time), but as I see it, we are an all-star dman, a power forward who can make an impact today (Kassian will add to that in the next two to three years, but not likely next season), and a pure goal scorer away from being the well rounded team we need to be, and you have to give some to get some. Plus, I think he's a bit of a "rat".

Ideally, the power forward would also be that goal scorer, but as rare a commodity as one of those is, I'd be happy to fill those roles with two players. You can't really just address the defense only or first, either. Scoring has to improve on this team, period. I think you have to get these three player types in here immediately to have a real shot at taking the next step.

None of this takes cap into account, but that's one of those things a good GM could massage into place. Also, I have no understanding of the NHL salary rules/structure. It's never interested me enough for me to try to figure it out.

It's not so much who we would let go. I would keep everyone if I had my way.

However, the way I see it now, we are a Perry first line gritty sniper, an Evander Kane and a big rugged defender (it doesn't have to be Weber and I think Suter is too small) short of being where we need to be.

To accomplish that I would part with anyone bar the Sedins, Kesler Burrows and Kassian in offence and Bieksa and Hamhuis (and Salo if he'll come back) in defence.

Anyone else on the roster is fair game to achieve this.

It is not as if we would lose everyone else anyway.

Keep!

Edler

Burrows

Tanev

Keep.

Gragnani

Keep only If...

large pay increases

Dump!

Alberts

Ebbet

Volpatti

Pahlsson

Trade

Schneider

or

Luongo

I have to agree with the Kesler diving thing. He needs to forget drawing penalties and play his gritty, on the edge style that makes him an awesome force. If he does, teams will draw themselves into penalties.

Burrows is an obvious keeper. Does'nt seem to care about the big payday. He loves Vancouver and the team. He's gonna get a raise, but I don't see him being interested in trying to gouge the team. He wants to win.

Manny Malhotra is a great team guy, but he has to bring more to the table. Gonna be a make or break season for him.

Andrew Alberts is history. He never provided the physical aspect they picked him up for.

I like Chris Higgins. Good utility guy. Solid third liner who can fill temporary holes on the second line. He can play either wing. As long as they can sign him to a similar deal to what he has now he's a keeper.

Maxime LaPierre is another keeper at the right price. He showed great chemistry with Henrick when his brother was out. Another third liner, in my opinion, who can fill holes when necessary.

I'm not sold on Alex Edler. He seems to disappear when the stakes are raised. If Vancouver wants to win a cup, he needs to rise to the occasion if he's going to be our premier defenseman moving forward, otherwise I see him being future trade bait.

An important consideration is potential rookies moving up. Nicholas Jensen is looking to be an amazing player. I see him taking a spot in the next couple of seasons. Kevin Connauton needs to work a bit more on his defensive game. If he can get a grip on his duties there, he also may steal a spot. This could change everything.

Raymond has to go, we would be much better off signing or aquiring somebody with some size and grit to take Raymond's roster spot on the bottom six. Booth has taken his spot on the 2nd line and Raymond isn't cut out physically to be a grinder.

Ballard is also a player that NEEDS to be traded somehow. Have to find a way to dump his salery, waaaayyyyyyy too expensive for a 6th/7th defenseman. Maybe trade him for a 3rd and 4th round pick since we don't have either in this years Draft. Gonna have to give him away pretty cheap to dump his salery and cut our losses,

Keep

all core players

Re-sign

Schneider -- (2012 RFA)

Salo -- (2012 UFA)

Paulsson -- (2012 UFA)

Lack -- (2012 RFA) *resign to 2-way contract

Reinprecht -- (2012 UFA) *resign to 2-way contract

Ebbett -- (2012 UFA) *resign to 2-way contract

Bitz -- (2012 UFA) *resign to 2-way contract

Volpatti -- (2012 UFA) *resign to 2-way contract

Weise -- (2012 RFA) *resign to 2-way contract