The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Mattias Ohlund May Retire

http://www.expressen...-med-ishockeyn/

LOS ANGELES. After 13 seasons and 97 matches, NHL career to be over for Mattias Ohlund, 35.

- I went through a covered knee surgery ten days ago here in the U.S. that requires half a year of rehabilitation, but it is uncertain if I can come back and play hockey again in the first place, he says to HockeyExpressen.se.

Ohlund missed all of Tampa Bay's games in the NHL this season.

He made laparoscopic surgery in both of his knees last fall, but only the right knee was fine.

After all possible rehabilitation and rest during the winter, he along with Lightning doctor to make a monster operation of the left knee.

It was at a sports clinic in Cleveland, which is known to operate athletes with complex knee injuries, says Mattias.

Cartilage Injuries

He has draits with cartilage damage in his knee in recent years and hopes that an artificial new structure in the left knee will be the solution.

- I've got a titanium plate inserted, and a piece of plastic, which lies against one another so that there is bone on bone. The doctors can not guarantee that it holds for the hockey game at top level, but my goal is to come back and play again, said Ohlund.

Right now he is in full swing with rehabilitation at home in Tampa Bay, Florida.

- I can do normal stuff and can walk without crutches or other aids, but the knee has not been tested under increasing pressure yet.

When will you know if there is and you can resume NHL career?

- It will take a long time. There is talk of at least four more pånaders rehabilitation in addition to the ten weeks I have been running after the procedure.

Worse in summer

How long have you had problems?

- I have had problmen with the knees over the senatste years, but it got much worse in somrras.

You do not give up?

- No, I'm set to try and see if you can play again.

Mattias Ohlund came to the NHL and Vancouver Canucks before the 1997-98 season.

He chose to sign on behalf of Tampa Bay summer 2009 and managed to play two seasons there before knäproblemen became acute last summer.

He could not participate in any league game this winter.

Ohlund has during his 13 seasons in the NHL played 909 games in the regular season and produced 343 points, 93 goals and 250 assists.

He has also played 70 playoff games and have collected 31 points, including ten goals in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Did you read your own article?

- I've got a titanium plate inserted, and a piece of plastic, which lies against one another so that there is bone on bone. The doctors can not guarantee that it holds for the hockey game at top level, but my goal is to come back and play again, said Ohlund.

You do not give up?

- No, I'm set to try and see if you can play again.

Am I missing something? It doesn't say anything about him retiring.

"The doctors can not guarantee that it holds for the hockey game at top level, but my goal is to come back and play again, said Ohlund."...

Old news. This was in discussion ever since he's got injured. His Knee is blown, and even if he comes back, he won't be at the same level. For a guy his age, even if he returns, how much more time will he be able to play?

It's a sad though, one of my favorite Canucks.

Archived