The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Kesler Out Upto 6 Months After Shoulder Surgery

hockeyville88

Time to consider trading Kesler.

By the time he properly recovers from all these surgeries, he'll be looking at the backslope of his career. He makes too much money to be a third line centre, and with Hodgson gone, they don't have the depth to carry a $5 million injury bag at his position.

I mean, Jaysus Murphy. It'll be Christmas again before we see a halfway effective Ryan Kesler.

Looks like another slowly eroding slope back to what we saw in the late 90's...

The title is still misleading. It should say that he'll be out indefinitely. Esp. when the 6 months figure is arbitrary. And esp. when certain shoulder injuries can take a full year or longer to 'fully recover' from.

I don't expect him to miss any games from this surgery at all, quite frankly. In fact, i'm expecting his next season to be better than this one due to his shoulder pain going away. But i too am speculating. Cheers.

TOML

Unfortunately AV seems to let his players call the shots. So to think that they will keep Kesler out longer this time is unlikely.

Hopefully Kesler is the one that learned from last season, and he's the one that takes it slow.

This is horrible news. Now he's going to miss another full summer of training, and have another write off season next year...

Lets hope they keep him out a couple months after he's healed so that he can get back into form.

Lets hope Schroeder is ready, otherwise we might need to look for a second line centre.

Schroeder isn't close to being ready to take a #2 line center spot. (He's not even close to a #3 spot in my opinion.) In trading Hodgson MG let personal animosity get in the way of common sense and concern for the team. (He knew full well the extent of K's injury.)

- this is what happens when you trade draft picks and prospects away on a regular basis. (And have the worst scouting in the league.)

- there's no guarantee K. will ever be back to speed... and with each injury it seems less and less likely. (So why didn't MG take this into consideration?)

Schroeder isn't close to being ready to take a #2 line center spot. (He's not even close to a #3 spot in my opinion.) In trading Hodgson MG let personal animosity get in the way of common sense and concern for the team. (He knew full well the extent of K's injury.)

- this is what happens when you trade draft picks and prospects away on a regular basis. (And have the worst scouting in the league.)

- there's no guarantee K. will ever be back to speed... and with each injury it seems less and less likely. (So why didn't MG take this into consideration?)

Gotta feel for the guy. I can see he wants to get his game back so bad but he keeps getting hurt. I still have to say, though, that his season was pretty successful considering he missed the first month and he probably came back before he was fully healed. Sometimes management has to protect players from themselves. Rest him the prescribed amount of time. Don't even consider his opinion until then. guys like Kes will always push to get into the line up before they're actually ready. I love the attitude but gotta keep it real.

What's best for yourself?

What's best for the team?

Better to be cautious than to make a hasty decision and wind up back on the sidelines.

Get well Kes, see you next season.

At least i'm sure he will be able to do some conditioning as the shoulder is not like the hip when you can't run or ride the bike.

However, the Canucks should learn from this year...instead on getting Kesler back early and out of shape, let him fully train until he's top shape, even if it's December.

We won the President trophy this year...if Kesler would have missed 1 month, i'm sure we still would have made the playoffs. Let Schroeder center our second line, and try it out, even if we lose a few more games early on. Plus Schroeder is a better playmaker, that might help Booth get is confidence back.

Archived