The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Kesler Out Upto 6 Months After Shoulder Surgery

hockeyville88

Canucks really need to target UFA Center Chris Kelly now. He is ideally a third line center but he did score 20 goals this year and could fill in on the 2nd line for a while. He seems to be a perfect fit for the Canucks right now and I think they need to make a serious play for him. Boston wants him back but they have cap issues and he will get more as a UFA than the $2.0M he made last season.

It will probably take a 4 year 14 million type of deal to get him but it is worth it.

I have to question why Kesler didn't have surgery before. Why would the Canucks let him play through an injury like this? By delaying the surgery until the season ended it now affects next season as well. If he had the surgery in February he's be ready for the start of next season.

With this surgery, we can bet that the Canucks won't let Kesler play until he is absolutely 100%, which could be Christmas or maybe even January. The club has witnessed Kesler coming back early at less than 100% and is hasn't served the player or the team well. That's why I think Gillis might be looking for a centre who can play big minutes and contribute offensively. Pahlsson isn't that guy, nor is Malhotra, and Schroeder isn't ready for that kind of assignment. Either a trade or somebody through free agency. Paul Gaustad is big and defensively sound and can chip in with some offence but doesn't appear capable of big numbers. Travis Moen is a similar player, but again, not great offensively. Every other UFA centre is either too old, too expensive or both. So, who might Gillis target in a trade? Any one?

Last year's injury was different, it was a core muscle injury and Kes wasn't able to train. The shoulder is different, he can still train his legs and core for the first while, just not the upperbody.

I don't think Kes will be behind due to lack of training this coming year like he was last year.

He has to stop being so selfish and playing injured because its killing the team right now. Another missed training camp and missing start of the regular season is not good news for the Canucks who no longer have great depth at center ice. We don't have another offensive center to fill that void unless Schroeder can really shine...

Looks like MG might have to go out of his way to find a offensive centerman, otherwise I'd like to see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Lapierre - Booth

Kassian - Pahlsson - Hansen

Bitz - Malhotra - Weise

He has to stop being so selfish and playing injured because its killing the team right now. Another missed training camp and missing start of the regular season is not good news for the Canucks who no longer have great depth at center ice. We don't have another offensive center to fill that void unless Schroeder can really shine...

Looks like MG might have to go out of his way to find a offensive centerman, otherwise I'd like to see this:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Bitz - Malhotra - Weise

This is horrible news. Now he's going to miss another full summer of training, and have another write off season next year...

Lets hope they keep him out a couple months after he's healed so that he can get back into form.

Lets hope Schroeder is ready, otherwise we might need to look for a second line centre.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Bitz - Malhotra - Weise

I have to question why Kesler didn't have surgery before. Why would the Canucks let him play through an injury like this? By delaying the surgery until the season ended it now affects next season as well. If he had the surgery in February he's be ready for the start of next season.

And he didnt make excuses...what a warrior.

Too bad he won't be able to train this off-season though. Next year could be similar to this past year for Kesler because of this.

All the best in your recovery Kes!

I have to say I don't like the way the Canucks handled this injury. It seems to me there is two possible explanations for why Kesler played through this rather serious injury.

1. The Canucks did not properly diagnose Kesler's injury right right away. Cody Hodgson's camp says hi.

2. If they did did properly diagnose it they made a really bad judgement call in letting him play through it. He was completely ineffective after the injury and now by delaying the surgery if will effect next year as well.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Bitz - Malhotra - Weise

This could possibly be a blessing in disguise. Remember that in 2010-2011 we had a lot of guys out recovering from injuries for a good chunk of the season. It meant we were better rested for the playoffs.

Archived