The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Kesler Out Upto 6 Months After Shoulder Surgery

hockeyville88

Curious if these injuries will change the way coach uses him. He's averaged 20 TOI last 3 reg seasons, and around 22 TOI last 3 yrs in playoffs. In each of those yrs he's been severely injured - I see this as a pattern. Maybe they move him to wing (doubtful), maybe they decrease his TOI, maybe they bring in a 3rd line centre who can take all the 'tough mins' from him. Either way, they can't keep using him the same way, playing him a ton and hope for different results (i.e not getting injured).

OK, I'll be watching Schroeder in a different way.

Here in Oz (moved from Van to Perth) we can get any NHL game you want on internet, but Wolves are much harder to follow. And prospect pages are not up to date with stats or updates in anywhere near a good enough way. What can you tell us about whether Stefan Schneider has a future as a shutdown center?

Canucks Star

Posted 2 minutes ago

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=10639403">snapback.pngCanuck Surfer, on 09 May 2012 - 05:59 AM, said:

Thanks for your response!

I'm skeptical but I do respect your opinion! Time to start cheering team Schroeder!

Alot of people are skeptical because of his size, which I understand because people already feel like our team isn't big enough.

But give this guy a chance, he is the real deal. I defended Hodgson the same way when alot of people were saying he wasn't NHL ready, because I knew how close he was to putting it all together. Schroeder is in the exact same boat, and depending on the summer he has, he could be alot closer to being an impact player than people are giving him credit for.

I think he could have it easier than Hodgson really, because he's sort of flown under the radar because everyone was so focused on Hodgson. He sort of became the forgotten prospect. But with a guy like Parise showing him the ropes, I think he'll figure it out.

Edited by DeNiro, A minute ago.

Knowing that they were 1 win away fro

For those people who have already laid blame on Kesler for playing hurt, the coaches for letting him play and the medical staff for being completely useless....

A torn labrum has various degrees of severity and can be very hard to properly diagnose. Most medical experts say that arthroscopic surgery is the ONLY way to confirm a torn labrum properly...which means you have surgery just to get a diagnosis.

CT Scans can be used to but they only provide about 80% accuracy. MRI's can miss the problem altogether. Physical examinations provide almost no degree of proven accuracy.

It is quite possible that Kesler's injury started off quite minor (February) and slowly got worse over time. In fact Kes might not have even known about the injury and chalked up any minor discomfort to the 'usual' wear and tear a player experiences during the course of a season.

Should the team have had Kesler go for artroscpoic surgery, in February...with the chance they would be told it was nothing serious?

Anyone bored...stop now. if you're actually interested in being informed.....

]

How is a diagnosis of a Labrum Tear made?

Because this cartilage is deep in the shoulder, it is very difficult to make the diagnosis of a torn labrum upon physical examination. There are several tests that the physician can perform which may indicate a torn labrum, but these tests are not always accurate. The other problem is that labrum tears take different forms as described above, and certain tests will detect one kind of tear but not another. Some physicians feel very confident that they can make the diagnosis of a labral tear upon physical examination, but this is controversial. There are not many scientific studies that show that physical examination is reliable for making the diagnosis of a labral tear. As a result of this uncertainty, other studies can be done to confirm the diagnosis if it is suspected.

The best tests available to make the diagnosis of a labral tear are magnetic resonance imaging or a test called a CT-arthrogram ( the latter is a CAT scan preceded by an arthrogram where dye is injected into the shoulder). Both of these tests are relatively good at defining a labrum tear due to a subluxation or dislocation, but they are only around 80-85% accurate. For that reason, some physicians believe that tests are not always needed if the diagnosis of subluxation or dislocation can be made by history and physical examination. Neither of those tests is currently very good at making the diagnosis of a SLAP lesion. This area is very complex and it is difficult to reliably get good pictures of this area with MRI.

However, if the MRI definitely shows a tear then frequently it will be present. The problem is that the MRI may miss smaller tears and cannot reliably make the diagnosis in larger tears of the labrum.

The best way to make the diagnosis of labrum tearing is with arthroscopy of the shoulder. Unfortunately this is an operative procedure and requires some form of anesthesia. Making the diagnosis also takes some experience on the part of the surgeon, since the anatomy of the inside of the shoulder can be quite complex. The relationship between labrum tears and symptoms has not been totally figured out, so it is not clearly known which ones should be repaired and which ones can be left alone.

What is the treatment for Labrum Tears?

The treatment depends upon which kind of tear there is in the labrum. Tears that are due to instability of the shoulder, either subluxation or dislocations, require that the labrum be reattached to the rim of the socket. This can be done with an incision on the front of the shoulder, or it can be done with arthroscopic techniques through smaller incisions. There are advantages and disadvantages of each approach (see Patient Guide to Shoulder Instability). At this institution we favor an open operation with an incision until arthroscopic techniques become more perfected.

If the labrum is frayed, usually no treatment is necessary since it doesn’t usually cause symptoms. However, if there is a large tear of the labrum, the torn part should either be cut out and trimmed, or it should be repaired. Which treatment is used depends upon where the tear is located and how big it is. This type of tear requiring repair without instability of the shoulder is rare.

Tears of the labrum near the biceps tendon attachment (SLAP lesions) may be just trimmed or may need to be reattached to the top of the socket. The best way to do this is with arthroscopic surgery since this area is difficult to reach with an open operation through a large incision. Using the arthroscope and small incisions for other instruments, the labrum can be re-attached to the rim of the socket using either sutures or tacks.

http://www.hopkinsor...abrum_tear.html

Curious if these injuries will change the way coach uses him. He's averaged 20 TOI last 3 reg seasons, and around 22 TOI last 3 yrs in playoffs. In each of those yrs he's been severely injured - I see this as a pattern. Maybe they move him to wing (doubtful), maybe they decrease his TOI, maybe they bring in a 3rd line centre who can take all the 'tough mins' from him. Either way, they can't keep using him the same way, playing him a ton and hope for different results (i.e not getting injured).

Cody wanted to be here originally...but when a d-bag coach throws you under the bus and then limits your ice time...of course you want out.

Everyone knew that the 2nd line last season needed a playmaker. Cody between booth and kesler would have made sense to at least try...yet didn't happen even once.

MG has screwed this team royally now. JS is barely a 2nd line center at the AHL level, so not sure how anyone things he can be a 2nd line center on the Canucks.

Looks like AV will just fill the roster with plugs as usual and have lappy centering the 2nd line. *rolls eyes* That'll go well....

If it's Vigneault it will change how he is used - for about two periods. About the same as last year after all the talk of not using him in those situations next year. But as soon as we're in a close game you can bet that the third period he will be riding his top players to try to eak out that all important second win of the season.

Our current coaching staff simply does not understand the concept of playing your young guys in the rough situations so they gain experience any more than doing so allows you to keep your top guys fresh for the end of the season.

This is horrible news. Now he's going to miss another full summer of training, and have another write off season next year...

Lets hope they keep him out a couple months after he's healed so that he can get back into form.

Lets hope Schroeder is ready, otherwise we might need to look for a second line centre.

Schroeder gets a shot then...

I'm very disappointed. This surgery will continue into the start of the season, meaning a delayed training camp and slow to start Kesler. It's too bad.

Given this injury we should really lower our expectations next season and make way for a youth movement to challenge by 2014. Schroeder, Schneider, Lack and Tanev in.

Guest Dasein

Alright guys. I have your solution now for the Canucks.

To Tampa Bay:

R.Luongo

K.Ballard

M.Raymond

J.Schroeder/ S.Salo

+4 Million cash bonus

To Vancouver:

S.Stamkos

Archived