The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Can We Win A Stanley Cup Before Our Centennial Of Winning The First One?

Ghostsof1915

All of his signings weren't that bad. Sure the Hodgson trade, the Mathieu Schneider and Steve Bernier signings come to mind, but he did add Hamhuis and we had Samuelsson. Not to mention a 50 point d-man in Ehrhoff.

In terms of winning it, yes it will be done, hopefully next year if not in 2014. Winning it in 2015 would be interesting to watch

To be completely honest... Unless the core changes, or at least the role of the current core players changes, I don't see it.

Last year was supposed to be it. The stars aligned. Everybody felt it, everybody knew it, that was our dominant season, that was the window.

I'm not trying to be negative and I'm still a big fan but I think we need to construct a new "window" for ourselves with a new core of players instead of trying to fit back into the old one. If the Sedins and Kesler don't play like they did in 2010-11, I don't see us getting it in the next few years; and something tells me they won't reach those levels of dominance again.

There's just not that -oomph- you need, I think. Elder has to be way better. Bieksa too. We need another legit top 4 dman, an actual second line; we need the guys we traded for to make a difference; we need freaking Kassian to play like we all know he can, but didn't.

Most of all, we need to be able to score more than 1.2 goals a game in the playoffs, our average vs. Boston and LA. That needs to pretty much double for us to really have a chance, no matter what defense or goalie we face.

We'll see, but I'm not optimistic, honestly.

Yes we can win it all within the next couple of years, but only if GMMG gets it right over the summer.

Sort out the goaltender issue, bring in a new right winger for the top line, a new second line centre and a new top 4 right handed D man.

Keep Kesler out until he is 100% recovered from surgery and properly conditioned. When he's ready, play him as 2nd line right winger. Let him shoot the passes he'll receive from a playmaking centre. Less time at the dot would probably be good for his shoulder anyway!

Other minor tweaks here and there with the roster, a wee bit of help from Lady Luck (for a change) and we're good to go!

just a couple peices here and there, and for the love of god if our coach uses 4 lines in the playoffs we have a pretty decent chance i think. The core players are there. We've got great goaltending and the Sedins both played really well in the playoffs in the past 2 years. It seems with age they are getting better in the post-season :)

UInfortunately, the window of opportunity for the Canucks is closing. If the team can't win a Cup before 2015, I think it could be another decade before the right combination of players, opportunity and good luck come together again. It's a difficult league now - every team has good players, and any team can get hot in the playoffs. Winning the conference championship, as we've seen, is no guarantee of anything.

• 5 months later...

Archived