The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Keeping Both Luongo And Schneider

I was screwing around on Cap Geek earlier today, and I came up with a few moves that would allow us to keep both of our goalies. We currently have Here we go. **Cap has to go up to $70,000,000 for it to work**

1) Vancouver - Winnipeg

Vancouver receives: A 2012 2nd round pick and/or a mid-tier prospect (free's up $4,250,000 in cap space, which gives us $13,471,666 in total space)

Winnipeg receives: Keith Ballard

2) Vancouver - Pittsburgh

Vancouver receives: Jordan Staal

Pittsburgh receives: David Booth + Manny Malhotra + Van 2012 1st + Win 2012 2nd

Signings:

Zach Parise: 7 years @ $49,000,000 = $7,000,000 annually

Ryan Suter: 7 years @ $49,000,000 = $7,000,000 annually

Chris Kelly: 3 years @ $7,500,000 = $2,500,000 annually

Cory Schneider: 5 years @ $17,500,000 = $3,500,000

Canucks 2012-13 line up:

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Jordan Staal ($4.000m)

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Chris Kelly ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m)

Zack Kassian ($0.870m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($7.000m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Kevin Connauton ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)

Cory Schneider ($3.500m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,828,333; BONUSES: $310,000

CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $1,171,667

Thoughts? I know my last couple of proposals haven't been that great. So hopefully this one turns it around.

Anythings possible, but this is highly unlikely to happen in real life because it just doesn't happen like thus, but hey, its the armchaing section so why not :)

... Realistically though: The Staal trade and Ballard ones work out for both sides, and even if the Jets don't like it, a 3rd would be fine too coming our way. Signings are realistic too, so yea, it can happen, but its a flurry of things for one off-season.

Okay now:

You signed a bunch of solid players to long term contracts

We have 2 key players who are UFA's next summer in Edler and Burrows

Edler is earning 3.25 million right now and should be due for at least 4.5 million, probably more (unless it's a really long contract with a lower cap hit)

Burrows is earning 2 million right now... I know. This guy could easily be earning 3.5-3.75 MINIMUM, and I'm that's arguably really cheap for a player like him.

Keeping both goalies isn't a good idea it will be unhealthy for the goalies themselves and the teams. They both want to be starting goalies so let's solve the problem ASAP or else more problems will arise

Okay now:

You signed a bunch of solid players to long term contracts

We have 2 key players who are UFA's next summer in Edler and Burrows

Edler is earning 3.25 million right now and should be due for at least 4.5 million, probably more (unless it's a really long contract with a lower cap hit)

Burrows is earning 2 million right now... I know.

This guy could easily be earning 3.5-3.75 MINIMUM, and I'm that's arguably really cheap for a player like him.

Keeping both goalies isn't a good idea it will be

unhealthy for the goalies themselves and the teams. They both want to be starting goalies so let's solve the problem ASAP or else more problems will arise

I'm still not a fan of carrying two expensive goalies when both deserve to start, plus in the bigger scheme of things it would be much more beneficial to move one of these two players for assets that can bolster and upgrade the team's weaknesses.

Also, Pittsburgh's salary is probably top-heavy enough as it is, adding Booth and Manny wouldn't be favorable for them.

Archived