The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who Can The Canucks Draft In The First Round

Was not impressed with Colton Sissons at all. I'd rather go for Tomas Hertl if he drops to 26th, hes very underrated because he has weak shooting skills but hes big and does everything a center should do. He outplayed teammate top 10 ranked Radek Faksa at the world juniors this last year too.

I would love to get samuelsson too, but maybe we can steal him in the 2nd round... do we have our 2nd round pick?

Was not impressed with Colton Sissons at all. I'd rather go for Tomas Hertl if he drops to 26th, hes very underrated because he has weak shooting skills but hes big and does everything a center should do. He outplayed teammate top 10 ranked Radek Faksa at the world juniors this last year too.

I would love to get samuelsson too, but maybe we can steal him in the 2nd round... do we have our 2nd round pick?

I would love to see the Canucks make some minor deals to acquire some extra second rounders. If we could land Colton Sissons, Dalton thrower, and Henrik Samuelsson in the first 2 rounds I would be pretty darn happy.

With some...a lot of... luck they could get Griffin Reinhart. Huge Vancouver born defenceman with NHL roots. At # 10 it is unlikely that he will still be there when the Canucks turn rolls around. But it is my wish.

If we go for a D man:

1. Dalton Thrower -- He almost reminds me of a more physical Sami Salo, very reliable, massive shot, a little small however.

2. Damon Severson -- He looks like he could be sort of like a Keith Ballard (pre-Vancouver) excellent skater, and not afraid to do the nasty work.

3. Brady Skjei -- I haven't seen much on him but what I have has all been good. I'm still skeptical about players going the College route however.

If we go for a Forward:

1. Tomas Hertl -- Only really saw him in the WJC but he was already one of the Czechs best players, and looks like he could be a solid 2-way player in the league.

2. Tim Bozon -- Hated the guy when the Giants played against him, he's a little pesty (but he is definitely one of those players who you would love to have on your team) and he can certainly get it done offensively. He reminds me of Higgins, with a little more edge.

3. Martin Frk -- Again this guy is a bit of a pest, and his skill set is slightly lower than Bozon, but the guy never stops working. If it werent for concussion issues he would probably be long gone by the time we picked. He plays the game eerily similar to Burrows.

If we could get any one of these 6 I would be happy, unless we're lucky enough to have someone like Girgensons, Reinhart, or Koekkoek fall down (unlikely).

Everyone has been mentioning pretty Good names, Thrower, Bystrom, and others.

I think someone we should all take a close look at is Scott Kosmachuk, he scored 30 goals and got 59 points in 67 games this past season playing for the Guelph Storm.

He sort of reminds me of Alex Burrows, someone compared him to Steve Downie but he is a much faster skater and better skater.

I dug up this Quote, I editted it a bit, to make it shorter while still explaining his game thoroughly

http://lastwordonspo...cott-kosmachuk/

Kosmachuk has a non-stop motor and is constantly forechecking, winning board battles, and getting himself in the middle of the action in high traffic areas. An absolute speedster, Kosmachuk has excellent skating skills. He’s got good first step quickness and acceleration. Kosmachuk uses his edges well, giving him good agility and balance, hes especially effective at controlling the puck down low and creates a lot of offence through an excellent cycle game and then taking the puck to scoring areas. Kosmachuk has a decent shot and release, and he is not afraid to shoot from anywhere, hes more of a scorer than a playmaker and is also an agitator who plays the game on edge. He’ll hit anything that moves in the offensive zone, and is often involved in scrums after the whistle.

And for the people comparing Bystrom to Edler, he's not Edler, he's not as physical as Edler, he's not as gritty, and he doesn't have the hard shot that Edler has.

He's a great skater,, with his pivots and balance and such, his top speed is average but his overall skating is good, he's good passer, powerplay QB, has good hockey IQ, uses his speed and defends more with a quick stick than physically. Some weakness's are that he doesn't shoot enough, and his shot needs some work (as mentioned) and he needs to get Stronger and be more gritty/physical in the battles.

I would say his overall game is more like Paul Martin but he as a much better offensive game which could be compared to that of Tomas Kaberle when he was in his prime back with the leafs, not now though.

going to be looking at all drafting options up until the draft.

last two blogs have been gritty guys who should be around when Vancouver picks, next is skilled guys, then best fit guys, and goalies.

Lastly I'll have my perfect draft.

Check it out on hockeybuzz.com and follow me of twitter @IanEsplen

I hope MG is reading these boards be aide I really like the strategies

Strategy 1. Trade/package Luongo to move up in the draft to select a stud D man

Strategy 2. Accumulate early 2nd round picks and select Dalton, Subban, samuellson, Colton etc- we have a lot of spate parts, Raymond, Ballard, Hansen, Higgins, that could be moved for the right pick. We need to get younger or we will really suck in 3 yrs when the Sedins decline and kesler has more injuries.

Alternative plan

Trade Schneider to Toronto

To TOR

Schneider

Raymond

Sauve

To VAN

Gardiner

Colborne

No 5 pick

2nd, 3rd

Trade Ballard for whatever pick you can get, hopefully 2nd and 3rd

Trade Alberts for a 4th or 3rd

Now that we have Gardiner and space on D, Schultz will sign

Bieksa Hamhuis

Edler Tanev

Gardiner Schultz

Salo

Rome

Booooom

I cant believe you guys ALL left Pouliot out... This kid is gonna be good!

I vote we get Pouliot please!

5'11 185lb left shot D-man. He has an awesome wrist shot and is a good two way player... he also has a cranky streak that we could benefit from.

heres a crappy highlight reel-thingy (i didnt make it)

I hope MG is reading these boards be aide I really like the strategies

Strategy 1. Trade/package Luongo to move up in the draft to select a stud D man

Strategy 2. Accumulate early 2nd round picks and select Dalton, Subban, samuellson, Colton etc- we have a lot of spate parts, Raymond, Ballard, Hansen, Higgins, that could be moved for the right pick. We need to get younger or we will really suck in 3 yrs when the Sedins decline and kesler has more injuries.

Alternative plan

Trade Schneider to Toronto

To TOR

Schneider

Raymond

Sauve

To VAN

Gardiner

Colborne

No 5 pick

2nd, 3rd

Trade Ballard for whatever pick you can get, hopefully 2nd and 3rd

Trade Alberts for a 4th or 3rd

Now that we have Gardiner and space on D, Schultz will sign

Bieksa Hamhuis

Edler Tanev

Gardiner Schultz

Salo

Rome

Booooom

I cant believe you guys ALL left Pouliot out... This kid is gonna be good!

I vote we get Pouliot please!

5'11 185lb left shot D-man. He has an awesome wrist shot and is a good two way player... he also has a cranky streak that we could benefit from.

heres a crappy highlight reel-thingy (i didnt make it)

Archived