234 replies to this topic

#1 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

the canucks need to resolve the ballard situation.he is paid 4.5 mill to sit in the press box or be on the 3rd pair.gillis needs to do something.any ideas?
Posted Image
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

#2 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,109 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

the canucks need to resolve the ballard situation.he is paid 4.5 mill to sit in the press box or be on the 3rd pair.gillis needs to do something.any ideas?

No guarantee all our dmen come back and no reason to assume one or more won't be traded.

So unless someone offers to trade us an upgrade for Ballard (unlikely) then perhaps we should consider playing him.

#3 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:59 PM

No guarantee all our dmen come back and no reason to assume one or more won't be traded.

So unless someone offers to trade us an upgrade for Ballard (unlikely) then perhaps we should consider playing him

true but since vigneault does not trust him we have to do something and either give him ahot or ship him to a place were hell get a chance
Posted Image
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

#4 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,998 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:07 PM

Trade him?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#5 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,109 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:09 PM

true but since vigneault does not trust him we have to do something and either give him ahot or ship him to a place were hell get a chance

How many players do we have to trade before we don't have our designated minimum of roster players sitting in the pressbox in place of "gritty" scrubs because of our coach's love/hate relationship with players that happen to fit/unfit perfectly with his definition of what a player is supposed to be?

I SUPPOSE we could trade him for some fourth liners. It would at least make the coach happy.

Not sure how that became the team's number one priority.....

#6 Ktakatch

Ktakatch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:17 PM

POPULAR

best dman in playoffs.id suggest keeping players who show heart and skill when it matters

#7 billabong

billabong

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,965 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

trade him.....in no way does it make sense for us to keep him

teams may become desperate for ballards services(i know thats pretty desperate) because if they see the same thing we do that all he needs is a fresh start and ice time, teams could be willing to take on that 4.2m cap hit....teams like col, det, fla, min, nsh, nyi, wpg, and tb could be possible destinations for ballard....or they might just need his cap hit to get over the salary floor
Posted Image

#8 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,798 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:27 PM

In before the lock, hundreds of threads on this, We should be trading a left side D guy;

Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Gragnani, Connauton, Sauve = much greater than Bieksa, Salo (?), Tanev, ?, ?, ?

And we need a puck carrying D, some serious size upgrades & depth on the right side.

Whether that's Ballard, or because we cannot get value for him, Edler??? (before his contract value goes up and because he is not the Norris candidate some make him out to be).

#9 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

POPULAR

to Buffalo- Keith Ballard and an apology letter to Christian Ehrhoff

to Vancouver- Christian Ehrhoff

well..we can dream anyways -_-

#10 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

POPULAR

Keep him, he makes Tanev better and has been playing great, a solid pair looking towards next year.

zackass.png

#11 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:34 PM

He has another year here to earn Edler's spot, which I feel he will.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#12 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

I sure hope Ballard can come around. But I can see him being traded.
Posted Image

#13 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

4.2 million is more correct

still a little over the top IMO

#14 CanuckCup1316

CanuckCup1316

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

AV gave him a chance in this years playoffs and he did really well. And AV gave him more minutes including PP time. If we could trade his 'bigger than worth it' contract them Im all for it but if we are stuck with it Im not worried. I have enjoyed his hipchecks.

#15 Bieksasangryface

Bieksasangryface

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:16 PM

Edler For J. Staal. Pittsburgh needs D. As do we. Trading Edler makes space for a D-Man.

#16 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

Put him on the #1 and #2 pairing. This man can't play to his potential on the third defensive unit.

#17 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

play him allot!
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#18 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

POPULAR

to Buffalo- Keith Ballard and an apology letter to Christian Ehrhoff

to Vancouver- Christian Ehrhoff

well..we can dream anyways -_-

why would we send him an apology letter when he wanted 10million dollars the first year and he htought that buffalo had a chance to win the stanley cup - HE SHOULD BE WRITING US THE APOLOGY LETTER.

#19 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

Well see who is available and look to trade him would be the best option. 4.2 million is simply way too much money tide up for a 3rd pairing d-man. Yes he played well in the playoffs but again you have to consider the circumstances.. 3rd paring minutes against the lesser of competition. He's been here 2 years now and ive seen nothing to suggest he is top 4 caliber, if he's hasn't shown it by now i don't see him ever reaching that status..at least here. I realize his value is next to nothing in a trade but the cap space alone is worth it.

#20 PONCHE

PONCHE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Edler For J. Staal. Pittsburgh needs D. As do we. Trading Edler makes space for a D-Man.

As much as i love Staal, this really isn't what our team needs. Our top 2 lines already have solidified Centers. Trading for a third would only be a repeat of the Hodgson scenario.

And before everyone tells me that its the same situation that he has in pittsburgh: No, it isn't. Crosby and Malkin have both seen injuries that have limited their playing time and increased Staal's.
Crosby GP last 3 years
Malkin GP last 3 years
Posted Image

#21 Nucks_Fan07

Nucks_Fan07

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

He played better than all of our TOP defenders in the playoffs. Better to keep him
Posted Image

#22 K_9

K_9

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

IF Lidstrom doesn't sign for another season with Det. And that's a big 'If' in my opinion. Then they are going to be looking for D-man that can quarterback a power-play and has good speed and poise with the puck.

Ballard could look like a cheap, and potentially very effective, option. Granted they do have Kyle Quincey and Brendan Smith on the NHL roster, both of whom have decent offensive potential, however neither look to be ready to replace the 34 points and +21 that Lidstrom produced last year while playing almost 24 minutes per game. They also have Logan Pyett in Grand Rapids but again he is years from that kind of NHL production - if he ever gets there. However all three of these internal options look to be shaky at best and Ken Holland is not one to risk rushing a player into the NHL.

Ballard has proven that with top minutes and the right partner he can produce upwards of 35 points. And he would come cheap, Gillis would be out of his mind to ask for anything more than a 3rd liner, 5th-6th dman, or 2nd pick (not together completely separate) and with Tatar ripping up the AHL already they will most likely be looking to make room for him in the top 6.

And who you ask would they ever give us that would help us win now while also hopefully freeing up salary cap room? How about Mr. Todd Bertuzzi?

2.075 million cap hit through 2014
For
4.2 million cap hit through 2015 and we throw in a 5th rounder (probably a 80 point player in 4 yrs the way DET drafts)

Has about the same risk for both sides and no I am not saying Ballard is going to DET to be the next Lidstrom but he would bring a bit more offense from the back end than their current roster minus Liddy.

Bertuzzi would be a great fit back in Van IMO - a natural RW which would help us with that problem of always having someone on the right who is a natural LW, Booth and Higgins looked decent but it was obvious how much better they played when on the left side. Also Bertuzzi would bring a ton more offense and grit than someone like Raymond and would be a great leader in the room and on the ice. Not to mention the fact that Bertuzzi is a heart and soul player who is always the first to step up and defend his teammates.

BIG BERT for BALLARD + 5th rd.

MAKE IT HAPPEN MG!

cheers

Attached File  Sad Crawford.jpg   23.29KB   2 downloads
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 : }

: }

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Is it me or does anyone else not notice Ballard when he plays . . ?
Posted Image

#24 morrissex95

morrissex95

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:57 PM

IF Lidstrom doesn't sign for another season with Det. And that's a big 'If' in my opinion. Then they are going to be looking for D-man that can quarterback a power-play and has good speed and poise with the puck.

Ballard could look like a cheap, and potentially very effective, option. Granted they do have Kyle Quincey and Brendan Smith on the NHL roster, both of whom have decent offensive potential, however neither look to be ready to replace the 34 points and +21 that Lidstrom produced last year while playing almost 24 minutes per game. They also have Logan Pyett in Grand Rapids but again he is years from that kind of NHL production - if he ever gets there. However all three of these internal options look to be shaky at best and Ken Holland is not one to risk rushing a player into the NHL.

Ballard has proven that with top minutes and the right partner he can produce upwards of 35 points. And he would come cheap, Gillis would be out of his mind to ask for anything more than a 3rd liner, 5th-6th dman, or 2nd pick (not together completely separate) and with Tatar ripping up the AHL already they will most likely be looking to make room for him in the top 6.

And who you ask would they ever give us that would help us win now while also hopefully freeing up salary cap room? How about Mr. Todd Bertuzzi?

2.075 million cap hit through 2014
For
4.2 million cap hit through 2015 and we throw in a 5th rounder (probably a 80 point player in 4 yrs the way DET drafts)

Has about the same risk for both sides and no I am not saying Ballard is going to DET to be the next Lidstrom but he would bring a bit more offense from the back end than their current roster minus Liddy.

Bertuzzi would be a great fit back in Van IMO - a natural RW which would help us with that problem of always having someone on the right who is a natural LW, Booth and Higgins looked decent but it was obvious how much better they played when on the left side. Also Bertuzzi would bring a ton more offense and grit than someone like Raymond and would be a great leader in the room and on the ice. Not to mention the fact that Bertuzzi is a heart and soul player who is always the first to step up and defend his teammates.

BIG BERT for BALLARD + 5th rd.

MAKE IT HAPPEN MG!

cheers

Attached File  Sad Crawford.jpg   23.29KB   2 downloads

No. This team is moving on with Kassian. There's a reason why Todd won't be a Canuck again. The Vancouver Canucks dealt with the baggage of the Moore incident by letting Naslund, Morrison, Bertuzzi, Ohlund, Sopel, Malik, Cloutier, Auld, Allen, etc. leave the team. Nobody wants to live that nightmare again.
Posted Image

#25 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

why would we send him an apology letter when he wanted 10million dollars the first year and he htought that buffalo had a chance to win the stanley cup - HE SHOULD BE WRITING US THE APOLOGY LETTER.

How selfish are you? He has no reason to apologize. Gillis offered him a laughable contract - Ehrhoff, at the time, deserved more than Bieksa. Ehrhoff didn't have to take a paycut, he didn't have close friends like Bieksa did.

It's called tactics, smart guy. In the strange world where this is feasible, you would send an apology letter as a persuasion factor. Let the guy know we really want him and we consider him an important piece on our team, which he was.

The guy was one of our most consistent D-men on the team and got almost the same amount of points as Bieksa in the playoffs though he played through half of it injured.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#26 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,939 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

We could trade him to a team that needs to make the cap floor, but I'm content with keeping him also. He would just need some more ice time.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#27 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:01 PM

As much as i love Staal, this really isn't what our team needs. Our top 2 lines already have solidified Centers. Trading for a third would only be a repeat of the Hodgson scenario.

And before everyone tells me that its the same situation that he has in pittsburgh: No, it isn't. Crosby and Malkin have both seen injuries that have limited their playing time and increased Staal's.
Crosby GP last 3 years
Malkin GP last 3 years

I agree. He wants to be a 1st or 2nd centerman. It's not gonna happen here. I think Kesler' when healthy and playing his game, is the more complete player. MG needs to stick with the defensive problems and fix them. Unfortunately, Ballards past couple seasons probably haven't made him a desired asset. I think the Ballard deal will be a scar on MG's resume for a long time. I just hope the Kassian deal isn't another one.

#28 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

punt
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#29 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:03 PM

Is it me or does anyone else not notice Ballard when he plays . . ?

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I say keep him and play him on 2nd/3rd pairing and on the PP.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#30 cmccomb

cmccomb

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

I think Ballard stays. Salo isn't getting younger but it also depends on what comes available on free agency or trades. For sure we're trading a goaltender so until then why do anything. The pecking order is coaching next and then trading Luongo (probably). Until that's sorted out nothing will happen.

If AV stays and he can manage to trust him fully and play him the minutes I think he's a top 4 guy. I'm not sure if he's 4.2 worthy but what are you going to find that's better? Easy to let guys go, harder to replace them, Ehrhoff is a good example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.