The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Should The Nucks Do About Ballard

TACIC

I honestly hope GMMG can find a way to dump his salery this offseason. Nothing against Ballard, but yeah like the OP said, he is making far too much money to be stuck on the 3rd pairing.

I say GMMG should just give him away to who ever wants him for what ever is offered for him. Maybe a 2012 3rd roun pick. I think a team like Columbus would go for a deal like that, they're a team that needs to add some more D-men.

So your dilemma is which left side guy to trade.

Hamhuis has an NTC; so your choices are Edler the better player & Ballard still a good player. Edler's salary will be $5.5 mill 13 months from now, it might not be with the Canucks with us having no say in it & his trade value is much higher.

And it was Edler not Ballard who had a poor post season. Lou wont get us the big physical talented right side D AND a big physical talented right wing that we need. Odds are a left D, whichever one gets us a better return is who you might trade?

It's no secret we need a D man to eat up a lot of minutes playing an offensive role, and that player isn't Ballard. We need someone who can play the right side.

IMO the 4.5 million dollar cap space gained by trading Ballard would be more valuable. You can sign somebody after July 1st for a quarter of what Ballard gets paid, that can contribute as much as if not more than Ballard has on the 3rd pairing.

Usually on July 1st teams overpay for UFA's so I think there may be a promotion from within. Hopefully the cap could be used to get Schultz. I ama huge MG fan but he really blew this trade. Hindsight, he should have kept the first and traded up to get Tinordi and resigned Mitchell. Then use Grabner in another trade or keep him instead of Raymond. Dam hindsight

It's called: "rental player". How long have you followed hockey?

If you trade for a pending ufa's signing rights after the season it gives you a short window to sign the player and if they don't the player walks July 1st and you got absolutely nothing out of the trade Trading for a rental player he actually plays for your team for the balance of the season and the playoffs. You actually get something that helps now whether you to intend to re-sign him after that season or not.

Ballard and Hamhuis were the only two D with a pulse this season.

Keith is way more talented than Bxa and arguably,Edler.

Keith fights,Keith hip checks,Keith is worth less than Eddie in a trade.

You make it sound so simple - Mitchell was out for a while with a concussion - it's hard to put faith in a guy that was out for a certain period of time.

+ Gillis didn't blow the trade if the Coach isn't willing to play the player...

we don't know if this trade has been crap or good - because we haven't seen ballard with any minutes yet.

All these posts about Ballard not getting enough playing time.  Gimme a break - he's had two years.  He especially had ample opportunity this year.  I saw a little improvement but he hasn't earned top 4 minutes - too many turnovers.  It's all about value and Ballard is not good value for 4.2 mill a year.  

He just hasn't lived up to his pre-Canucks record.  I actually thought it was a good trade until I saw him play his first season with us.  I do believe that his hip injury played a part but he just didn't make big strides this past season.  

If he was making 1.5 mill for a 5/6 D-man then I'd want to keep him and hope he could improve.  Rome and Tanev outplayed him this season - and Salo was miles ahead of him.  As it is, Ballard has very little trade value due to his high cap hit and mediocre play.  Even if we wanted to trade him, I doubt we'd have any takers.  We may have to waive him (send him down to the minors) to clear up some cap space for a major trade.

All these posts about Ballard not getting enough playing time. Gimme a break - he's had two years. He especially had ample opportunity this year. I saw a little improvement but he hasn't earned top 4 minutes - too many turnovers. It's all about value and Ballard is not good value for 4.2 mill a year.

He just hasn't lived up to his pre-Canucks record. I actually thought it was a good trade until I saw him play his first season with us. I do believe that his hip injury played a part but he just didn't make big strides this past season.

If he was making 1.5 mill for a 5/6 D-man then I'd want to keep him and hope he could improve. Rome and Tanev outplayed him this season - and Salo was miles ahead of him. As it is, Ballard has very little trade value due to his high cap hit and mediocre play. Even if we wanted to trade him, I doubt we'd have any takers. We may have to waive him (send him down to the minors) to clear up some cap space for a major trade.

Archived