The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Should The Nucks Do About Ballard

TACIC

No guarantee all our dmen come back and no reason to assume one or more won't be traded.

So unless someone offers to trade us an upgrade for Ballard (unlikely) then perhaps we should consider playing him

trade him.....in no way does it make sense for us to keep him

teams may become desperate for ballards services(i know thats pretty desperate) because if they see the same thing we do that all he needs is a fresh start and ice time, teams could be willing to take on that 4.2m cap hit....teams like col, det, fla, min, nsh, nyi, wpg, and tb could be possible destinations for ballard....or they might just need his cap hit to get over the salary floor

In before the lock, hundreds of threads on this, We should be trading a left side D guy;

Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Gragnani, Connauton, Sauve = much greater than Bieksa, Salo (?), Tanev, ?, ?, ?

And we need a puck carrying D, some serious size upgrades & depth on the right side.

Whether that's Ballard, or because we cannot get value for him, Edler??? (before his contract value goes up and because he is not the Norris candidate some make him out to be).

AV gave him a chance in this years playoffs and he did really well. And AV gave him more minutes including PP time. If we could trade his 'bigger than worth it' contract them Im all for it but if we are stuck with it Im not worried. I have enjoyed his hipchecks.

Well see who is available and look to trade him would be the best option. 4.2 million is simply way too much money tide up for a 3rd pairing d-man. Yes he played well in the playoffs but again you have to consider the circumstances.. 3rd paring minutes against the lesser of competition. He's been here 2 years now and ive seen nothing to suggest he is top 4 caliber, if he's hasn't shown it by now i don't see him ever reaching that status..at least here. I realize his value is next to nothing in a trade but the cap space alone is worth it.

Archived