The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Should The Nucks Do About Ballard

TACIC

do you honestly know anything about hockey? Gaustad was acquired at the trade deadline meaning he would play for them the rest of the season + playoffs, Vancouver trade his negotiating rights in the OFFSEASON meaning there was no garuntee he would sign and play for them thus giving us a free pick.

AV gave him a chance in this years playoffs and he did really well. And AV gave him more minutes including PP time. If we could trade his 'bigger than worth it' contract them Im all for it but if we are stuck with it Im not worried. I have enjoyed his hipchecks.

The bigger question: What should the Canucks do with Aaron Rome?

Pending unrestricted free agent and could double his currently salary on the open market. If he re-signs, most likely looking for Andrew Alberts type of a contract: multi-year at $1 million to $1.5 million.

Makes you wonder how much better Ballard would be right now if he'd been given that same chance the season prior.

Oh well.

I say hang on to Ballard and try to pick up a big, tough d man this summer. If that over crowds the roster, cut Alberts and/or Rome.

Bowness has been in charge of the D-core since AV got here. If anyone should be fired it should be him.

If he can't get the most out of players like Edler and Ballard, maybe another coach can.

I think him and AV have gotten too comfortable in their position. Maybe a little shake up to the assistant coaches might send a message.

The season prior he didn't play well. And at times just downright stunk. He didn't get more minutes in these playoffs because he was being "given a chance". He got more minutes because he was playing well and Edler wasn't.

Bowness has been in charge of the D-core since AV got here. If anyone should be fired it should be him.

If he can't get the most out of players like Edler and Ballard, maybe another coach can.

I think him and AV have gotten too comfortable in their position. Maybe a little shake up to the assistant coaches might send a message.

Trade him for someone who can really play D. He is too expensive. We need some caps to get some good players. Salo is likely not coming back, we need to look to someone who can play the same role as Salo.

The team itself is in a predicament because it has a sheer amount of left handed defensemen. As people have said, Edler is the top offensive guy so far and he is a lefty, Hamhuis is next and he is a lefty, then there is Ballard. While I would love to get a good look at Gragnani, he is also a lefty. There are too many lefties.

In my opinion, the team needs a right handed D to be playing on the top pairing. One that is consistent, offensive, and can log ~25 minutes a game. And if this happens, there is not going to be room for 5 defense @ 4mil+. Someone will have to be moved.

And it will either have to be Ballard, or it will have to be Edler.

Personally, I'd rather Edler be moved as he has more value for that stud right handed D. And that'd allow either Ballard or Gragnani to really shine on that top pairing.

IF somehow Nashville traded us Weber, I'd be more than happy and would even prefer a pairing of Ballard / Weber or Gragnani / Weber than I would something like Edler / Salo, or Edler / not so elite D-man.

I'd be all for Gillis acquiring someone like Weber or Green to play alongside Edler, but I just don't see us having anything of value that those teams would want. They would want Edler in return.

I believe Ballard will be a Canuck next season. He wont fetch much of anything on the trade market, and if he's gone, who to play in his absence?

Alberts? Gragnani? ...Id much rather have the Ballard - Tanev combo.

We still need a top 4 to play the right side, and it better not be Salo. I suppose it could work out to be Tanev should he continue to develop as expected, but Im thinking more along the lines of a PPQB, something Tanev aint got in his arsenal.

Edler + picks aquired for Luongo

for

Weber

Hamhuis - Weber

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts - Bieksa

Gragnani

Id roll with that.

Archived