The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Should The Nucks Do About Ballard

TACIC

The bigger question: What should the Canucks do with Aaron Rome?

Pending unrestricted free agent and could double his currently salary on the open market. If he re-signs, most likely looking for Andrew Alberts type of a contract: multi-year at $1 million to $1.5 million.

He's good enough to be a first line centre though, that's the thing.

Edler for Staal is actually a pretty fair trade for both teams. Both of them are on the last year of their contracts and both have reasonable cap hits.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Staal Kesler

Hamhuis Bieksa

Suter Salo

Ballard Tanev

Definitely solves our second line problem.

so according to CDC, we should...

trade the Sedins - they aren't physical enough / they couldn't score down the stretch / we can get a good return for them

trade kesler - he's too injured

trade booth - he's overhyped

trade higgins - he's not a playoff performer

trade raymond - he's useless

trade kassian - we miss hodgson

trade malhotra - he's not the same after his injury and being paid too much

trade edler - he played for the kings anyways

trade ballard - he was the best d-man in round 1 but AV doesn't like him

trade bieksa - he's too risky

trade luongo - we have schneider

trade schneider - we have luongo / we can get a good return

trade rome - he's a plug

trade alberts - he's worse than rome

fire AV - he's a horrible coach

am i missing anything?

so according to CDC, we should...

trade the Sedins - they aren't physical enough / they couldn't score down the stretch / we can get a good return for them

trade kesler - he's too injured

trade booth - he's overhyped

trade higgins - he's not a playoff performer

trade raymond - he's useless

trade kassian - we miss hodgson

trade malhotra - he's not the same after his injury and being paid too much

trade edler - he played for the kings anyways

trade ballard - he was the best d-man in round 1 but AV doesn't like him

trade bieksa - he's too risky

trade luongo - we have schneider

trade schneider - we have luongo / we can get a good return

trade rome - he's a plug

trade alberts - he's worse than rome

fire AV - he's a horrible coach

am i missing anything?

4.2M for him to sit most the year? Overpaid to play in a 5th or 6th Dman spot. He had all this hype that he would be a great defenseman here in Vancouver, and i really haven't seen much, or any production from him in the last 2 years. I'll give him a bit of a break only playing 47 games this year, but 14 points in 112 games...

He's certainly overpaid for what we get out of him. Unfortunately, he has far less trade value than we gave up to get him. Another GM would have to hope Ballard would return for form if we tried to trade him - and that risk is just too great to give up anything reasonable in return.

So we're really stuck with him... unless we were to buy him out.

As has been said - he actually looked pretty good in the playoffs, and I don't think he has been *that* bad overall... just not worth the money he is paid. With any luck, his playoff play will continue into next year and he'll be closer to playing the kind of minutes Gillis intended him to play when he was acquired.

I have to come to his defence on this one Ballard may have been week in the regular season but played like one of our best in the play-offs. AV noticed and gave him more ice time..... if he continues to play like that i want him next year on the same pairing with Tanev they had great chemistry

Such a simple solution. AV tells Ballard that he will play him more IF he agrees to be paid a fair amount of $3 million. Ballard puts the extra 1.2 mill in a briefcase and hands to MG. MG re-signs Schneider for only around 2 mill, hands him the same briefcase, with an extra 1.2 mill tax free. A Win for Ballard, MG/AV and Schneider!

As much as i love Staal, this really isn't what our team needs. Our top 2 lines already have solidified Centers. Trading for a third would only be a repeat of the Hodgson scenario.

And before everyone tells me that its the same situation that he has in pittsburgh: No, it isn't. Crosby and Malkin have both seen injuries that have limited their playing time and increased Staal's.

Crosby GP last 3 years

Malkin GP last 3 years

i never really understood the benching of ballard. his brain farts were certainly no worse than what bieksa played like for a couple of years. Raymond plays bad and gets lots of ice time. Ballard didnt even play in game seven last year when our d was so banged up??? doesnt make sense if he cant fit into a top four role then he has to be traded because cap space is so valuable. would it be so bad to get rid of him raymond and malhotra, then insert youth and sign suter for 6 or 7 mil?

You could not be more wrong, he wanted 5.2, and instead of a counter offer, MG traded his rights, he was offered 10 mil, besides his cap hit is only 4 mil, you should be the one apologizing, lol

Archived