Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

What Should The Nucks Do About Ballard

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
234 replies to this topic

#211 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Gragnani and Pahlsson(2-4th rounders+Ellington) aren't looking too good right now.

Third and a second rounder for Bernier/Lukowich?

Trading Cooke for Pettinger might have felt good but it was a lousy trade.

The whopper in Kassian/Hodgson has yet to be decided upon.

Would love to have Cooke back. All shenanigans aside, the guy can play hockey.

#212 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

Would love to have Cooke back. All shenanigans aside, the guy can play hockey.

yeah
Posted Image
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

#213 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:15 AM

the canucks need to resolve the ballard situation.he is paid 4.5 mill to sit in the press box or be on the 3rd pair.gillis needs to do something.any ideas?

Play him more

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#214 hyflyin

hyflyin

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

End

#215 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

End

end what
Posted Image

TACIC

#216 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Play him more

No kidding
Posted Image

TACIC

#217 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Play him more

This
"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#218 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:19 PM

Play him more

This......
Kevin.jpg

#219 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:02 PM

ballards a beast

ive said it over and over , hes a scapegoat like no other on this site
Posted Image

#220 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

ballards a beast

ive said it over and over , hes a scapegoat like no other on this site

tgat brings back memeoris
Posted Image

TACIC

#221 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

best dman in playoffs.id suggest keeping players who show heart and skill when it matters

Agreed +1...play him, play him, play him !

Edited by puck n icehole, 09 September 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#222 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,061 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:17 AM

Play him more

All he has to do is outplay Hammer defensively or outplay Edler offensively. I don't see either happening. Which puts him bottom pairing with bottom pairing minutes.
Posted Image

#223 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,756 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

Play him more

All he has to do is outplay Hammer defensively or outplay Edler offensively. I don't see either happening. Which puts him bottom pairing with bottom pairing minutes.

Actually, Baggins is correct about where Ballard will play this season, however, giving the bottom pairing more ice time could make everyone happy.

1.) Fans of Ballard would be pleased as he will get an opportunity to play more and he can show what he's got. I do believe he is a good d-man who has the tools to succeed.

If he plays more, then he and his partner (likely Tanev) will be better able to perform over the course of the season. Also, there's a better chance that the other two defensive pairings will be fresher for any big games throughout the season and going into the playoffs, which should help overall team success.

2.) Non-fans of Ballard (I refer to the folks with an irrational dislike who just want Ballard gone) should be happy as well since playing him more (and assuming he does well which I believe is likely) means that he can raise his stock, as well as Tanev's. Should a trade opportunity come up then there is an increased chance that the other team will take Ballard, which should make these non-fans of Ballard happy, right?

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#224 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

Play him! He's a solid NHL defenceman, and I wanna see him finally get some powerplay time if our coach can get his head out of his ass finally
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#225 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

Bringing Cooke back here, the all time worm would be a bad move. Gillis isn't going to taint the dressing room. Cooke is a cheep player. People forget Cooke was on top of the pile up that broke Steve Moore's neck. The Canucks washed their hands of this worm not soon enough.

Since then he's ended Marc Savard's career with a cheep shot. Do really want this worm on the Canucks?

Check and see what Gino Odjyk thinks about this guy. (I'm not sure how to spell Gino's last name.

#226 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

Oh if he is like you he would be in the echl

That's the point.

#227 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,365 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

Last year we were lucky, but most years we almost always have one top 4 guy out at any given time. Ballard could spend 70% of the season in the top 4, even if he starts off in the bottom pairing *knock on wood*. In Edler's full rookie year he played 75 games in the NHL (most out of any dman on the team), 2 in the AHL, and he was the 7th defenseman.
Sig too big.

#228 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,025 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

Bringing Cooke back here, the all time worm would be a bad move. Gillis isn't going to taint the dressing room. Cooke is a cheep player. People forget Cooke was on top of the pile up that broke Steve Moore's neck. The Canucks washed their hands of this worm not soon enough.

Since then he's ended Marc Savard's career with a cheep shot. Do really want this worm on the Canucks?

Check and see what Gino Odjyk thinks about this guy. (I'm not sure how to spell Gino's last name.

Being a Canuck fan, you should probably take the time to learn how to spell his last name. I can assure you it won't take much time. Jesus...

#229 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:48 AM

Just keep the guy. We need the depth and trading him isn't going to give you a better return given his production has fallen off the face of the planet. Unless, of course, Gillis completely fleeces another GM like he did for Ehrhoff, but then again those trades you need the right circumstances. Who knows, maybe Ballard will turn it around assuming there is a season coming up. He certainly has the ability to.
Posted Image

#230 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,061 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:17 AM

Play him! He's a solid NHL defenceman, and I wanna see him finally get some powerplay time if our coach can get his head out of his ass finally

It's funny that people don't remember Edler hurting his back a couple of seasons ago. Ballard was moved up to his spot and performed so poorly that Rome replaced him even strength and Samuelsson took left point on the 1st PP unit. AV doesn't have his head up his butt. A player has to seize his opportunities and that's where Ballard has failed. Last season he was tried left side with Bieksa....didn't work out well. He was given the right side with Edler and didn't perform well. Afterwards he said he wasn't comfortable on the right side. So he's limited to the left side behind Edler and Hamhuis.

Personally, I think it's fans that need to get their heads out of their collective butts. Ballard has received what he's earned. When he has played well his ice time goes up, and when he doesn't it goes down. That's life on the third pairing.
Posted Image

#231 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,850 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:48 AM

Ballard was successively injured and it wasn't a result of his head being up his butt,a condition which does afflict certain posters,including myself.

Hip surgery in May of 2010.Joins Canucks in June.

Five games in to his tenure in Vancouver he suffers a brain injury.

MCL injury.

Back injury.

Second brain injury/concussion.

Edited by nuck nit, 11 September 2012 - 07:23 AM.

#232 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,061 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:06 AM

Ballard was successively injured and it wasn't a result of his head being up his butt,a condition which does afflict certain posters,including myself.

Hip surgery in May of 2010.Joins Canucks in June.

Five games in to his tenure in Vancouver he suffers a brain injury.

MCL injury.

Back injury.

Second brain injury/concussion.

I'm beginning to think you have a brain injury. I never said Ballard had his head up his butt. I said the fans here have their heads up their collective butts.

Ballards injuries are certainly an excuse for his poor play his first year here. But it doesn't change the fact that he played poorly and his ice time reflected it. Nor does it change the fact that he has been given opportunities and failed to capitalize on them. The bottom line is Ballard has received what he has earned. His third pairing status won't change unless he manages to outplay Edler or Hamhuis. Which why whining about his ice time is pointless.

Edited by Baggins, 12 September 2012 - 01:06 AM.

Posted Image

#233 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

In before the lock, hundreds of threads on this, We should be trading a left side D guy;

Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, Gragnani, Connauton, Sauve = much greater than Bieksa, Salo (?), Tanev, ?, ?, ?

And we need a puck carrying D, some serious size upgrades & depth on the right side.

Whether that's Ballard, or because we cannot get value for him, Edler??? (before his contract value goes up and because he is not the Norris candidate some make him out to be).

Look like there hasn't been a lock :P 4 monts later
Posted Image

TACIC

#234 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,415 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:29 PM

That's okay. You do know how to spell "worm"....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#235 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,899 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:44 AM

Play Edler with Tanev as an offensive pair, because Tanev is a great passer and a solid position player & then Edler with Garrison on the top PP!

But play Ballard with Garrison the rest of the time as our 2knd offensive pairing (behind Edler / Tanev) and our 2knd defensive pairing (behind Hamhuis / Bieksa)! Ballard at 212 lbs with killer wheels and Garrison with killer size (and shot) would be our most physically capable pairing!

(And it allows us to play Edler and Tanev to strengths + shelter 180 lb something Tanev from too much defensive responsibility!)

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.