The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Failed Aircare

key2thecup

1990 Dodge Shadow, failed Aircare, took her on a trip from Van-Hope and back then went to the aircare facility. It passed the driving test, failed the idle.

Hydrocarbons (HC) ppm: Max: 110 , Mine: 234

Carbon Monoxide (CO%): Max: 0.84% , Mine: 2.83%

Any tips?

Travel to Toronto, Hong Kong, or other big cities and enjoy the lovely smog and haze, and enjoy the summer days where you are advised to stay indoors if you have lung problems.

The only scam is people driving around in piece of crap vehicles that have no business being on the road in the first place. BC used to have inspections every two years where you had to take your car in, they'd check to see if your tailpipe was intact, looked for unsafe body damage, made sure your lights and turn signals worked and that your wipers worked. It took all of 10-15 minutes, and it helped get the unsafe piles of junk off the road. Now I see vehicles with no kidding, duct tape, body panels removed, tons of rust, and fender and other body damage, and the police can only do so much to get these things off the roads.

I do understand there are places in BC that public transportation is a joke. I'd like to see that corrected. But seeing a 1987 Civic burning oil with cracked windshields, half the lights not working and looks like if you tap it with a mallet the whole thing will fall apart because it has so much rust is not safe either.

This is a myth. A higher octane gas will not burn 'cleaner' - octane is simply a rating of the gasoline's resistance to detonation. Run the LOWEST octane fuel that you can without detonation to achieve optimal power a more efficient burn. Methyl Hydrate will help as well, since it is essentially alcohol and burns much hotter than gasoline. Ensure that the engine has received a full tune up including oil change, and it's not running on old, stale gasoline.

As for AirScam, a few others have already suggested some tips, but another proven thing that makes a big difference is knocking the timing back to the point that the engine will barely run. I can do it in ~30 seconds outside of the Aircare facility, and have it back to normal after the test is done. I also make sure that I'm sitting at least a few cars back in line, and I rev the engine up to about 2500 rpm in neutral, which ensures that the cat stays hot for the test. It's always helped my readings.

You can do other simple things like disconnect the PCV, remove the air filter, find the skinniest wheels/tires that you can, and pump the tires up past their max PSI rating (less resistance on the rollers). I've heard of some people even drilling 'aircare holes' into the exhaust, but if the Aircare sniffers don't get enough of a reading they won't let you test.

Archived