• Announcements

• StealthNuck

All Threads Must Contain Tags!   07/25/2017

ALL THREADS MUST CONTAIN TAGS   All threads in this forum must contain tags prefixed to topic titles. The purpose of the tags is to eliminate confusion in recent threads lists, and to create an organized and consistent environment. Moderators may immediately lock and thread that does not contain tags.    Tags must be placed at the start of your thread title, following this exact formatting:    [Tag] Thread Title   Here are some of the most used popular tags:    [Proposal]
      A trade, or trades, for next season, or even the off-season.
      [Off-Season]
      FA signings, off-season trades for RFA's, UFA's rights etc...
      [Value Of]
      (A question regarding a players worth, whether from another team, or the Canucks)
      [Speculation] Posting a rumor (with a source of course), but providing why it could be possible for the Canucks to land that player.   [Discussion]
      Thoughts on team trading strategy and composition.   Please feel free to create your own tag if none of these suit your thread.   

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mr_long1990

[Proposal] Another Luongo Trade

16 posts in this topic

First time starting a thread. Here's my proposal. I'm ready for the flaming...

TRADES

To TOR: Luongo, Raymond

To VAN: Franson, Armstrong, Conditional pick

http://fans.mapleleafs.nhl.com/community/index.php?/topic/66724-luongo-to-toronto/

From what I've read on the Leafs' message board, Franson is not liked by Carlyle because of his work ethic. Being an RFA coming off a season where he has been benched for 25 games, I think a fair contract can be negotiated. The fact that he has a right-handed shot is a bonus. Also, from the Leafs' message board, it seems that most think Luongo's contract is too lengthy and the Canucks should take a salary dump. Despite being a bit expensive at $3M, Armstrong, the Leafs' salary dump, can be a good 3rd line grinder with playoff experience (with the Pens) when he's healthy and in the lineup. Furthermore, he only has one year left on his contract. The Canucks will part with Luongo, who will push the Leafs into a playoff spot, and Raymond, who is an RFA. This trade will give the Canucks some cap space to go after some free agents (Although I believe Luongo will go to Tampa).

To WPG: Ballard

To VAN: 2012 3rd round pick, Machacek

/topic/329533-proposal-keeping-both-luongo-and-schneider/">http://forum.canucks.com/topic/329533-proposal-keeping-both-luongo-and-schneider/

Credit to Steven Stamkos' Mullet for this trade suggestion. I think that Ballard, if given the minutes, will be able to thrive in Winnipeg. For those who watch the Giants several years ago, you know that Machacek is a two-way winger with some sandpaper. The Canucks don't have a lot of quality prospects, and this trade can address this issue. This trade will also give the Canucks cap space.

SIGNINGS

Schneider: $3.5M/year for 3 years (Not in the $4-5M range because he has yet to play a full season as the starter)

Franson: $1.5M/year for 2 years (Good value for a guy who can play 16 to 20 minutes of hockey)

Biron: $0.9M/year for 1 year (A safety net should Schneider falters; even though Lack should make for a decent backup, I feel that he should be allowed to play more)

Gragnani: $0.75M/year for 2 years (RFA resigning)

PROJECTED LINEUP

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100M) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100M) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000M)

David Booth ($4.250M) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000M) / ___________________ ($?)

Chris Higgins ($1.900M) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000M) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350M)

Colby Armstrong ($3.000M) / Manny Malholtra ($2.500M) / Zack Kassian ($0.870M)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500M) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600M)

Alexander Edler ($3.250M) / ___________________ ($?)

Chris Tanev ($0.900M) / Cody Franson ($1.500M)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.750M) / Andrew Alberts ($1.225M)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.500M)

Marty Biron ($0.900M)

SALARY CAP PAYROLL: $55.195m

SALARY CAP SPACE: $9.105M

Now, here are my questions:

1. Are the trades balanced and realistic and do they meet the needs of the teams (I have a feeling that a lot of people won't be happy with Armstrong joining the Canucks at $3M...)? If not, how would you change them? Are there any other trades you would make to improve the team?

2. Are the contract terms reasonable (Schneider and Franson in particular)?

3. With more than $9M left, who would you sign to fill the two spots and how much (Parise will probably be a popular choice, but that leaves about $2M for the defenseman. On defense, I'm looking at a right-handed shot like Wideman, but that might not be the best considering that he's a offensive defenseman.)?

How much would you resign Raymond for? I believe the RFA rules state that players making over $1M must be offered at least 100% of the previous contract, meaning Raymond will make a minimum of $2.5M.

I actually like these, I dont think we should give up on Ballard yet, but its an okay deal

I sorta like the first one though.

First trade with Lou included was nice, but I would want more than a 3rd rounder for the 4 mill dollar defenceman

How would you feel about moving Armstrong up to the 3rd line in place of Higgins? I know Higgins had success on the 3rd line, but playing Armstrong on the 4th line seems like a waste.

3 million for a 4th liner? nooooooo thankyou, i think that spot is pinizotto / volpatti's to lose they looked pretty good there last year.

I think Luongo would garner a stronger return.

Armstrong is more of a cap/contract move if hes included in a trade.

Raymond isn't far off of Franson in value so your really getting next to nothing for Luongo

I understand that Armstrong is probably more of a hindrance than a help with his cap hit, and, if possible, I would rather take a prospect or a pick instead since the point of the two trades is to open up cap space, which is a premium for a cap-spending team like Vancouver. This is especially true if they plan on chasing the big fish in free agency. The Luongo trade creates about $3.5M of cap space, and I guess that's worth something. I suppose acquiring Luke Schenn ($3.6M/year for 4 years) instead of Armstrong ($3M/year for 1 year) is more desirable. He has potential, and after a poor season, the Leafs is willing to part with him. Admittedly, I would much rather take a right-handed D in Schenn than Armstrong, but Schenn is worth more than Armstrong, and the question then becomes: Will the Canucks need to add to the deal, and if so, what?

From what I have gathered, the other teams on Luongo's list are Tampa Bay, Chicago, and New Jersey (with Florida being a long-shot due to finances). Chances are that Tampa will offer Lecavalier, which won't open up cap space for the Cancuks. I doubt Vancouver and Chicago will be able to work out a deal. New Jersey is tricky as well since we don't know whether Brodeur plans on retiring. As a result, I believe that, if we are looking for cap space, Toronto is our best bet.

franson=raymond

draftpick+armstrong < luongo

luongo is one of the top 7 goalies in the world

canuck fans suck no respect for luongo

We're getting majorly ripped off. Franson is another underachiever with potential like Raymond.

Armstrong is decent player but not even close to Lu in value.

The conditional pick better be a top ten overall if Lu shows up to training camp

Didn't Armstrong have concussion issues? I'd steer away since he's more likely to get another concussion because of the way he plays. Plus...it's not enough of a return for Luongo.

Again, I ask, if it's Luongo and Raymond for Franson, Schenn, and a conditional pick, is that a more balanced trade? Will either side need to add more to the deal?

As a Jets fan I say no thank you.

It is not unfair but I like Machacek and don't want to trade the draft pick.

With Byfuglien, Enstrom, Bogosian, and Hainsey, as well as Stuart in ways being better alternatives than Ballard, I just don't see how he could be a fit in WInnipeg.

luongo to detroit for franzen.....10 yr contract for an 8 yr contract.....

Personally, I would like to see the Canucks sign P.A. Parenteau. I think he's a good passer and could be great playing with Kesler when he comes back in November/December.