The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In The Case Where Luongo Stays

Ugli Fruit

What happens then? It's unlikely that we pick up Suter or Weber, and it would mean that Schneider is dealt.

I see one or more of the following happening:

- Media scrutiny is at an all-time high (if even possible), which probably will set off an even more bipolar love-hate relationship between fans and Luongo

- Schneider dealt for Bottom - 6 forward and bottom pairing D or a Top-4 D

- Luongo leads team to Cup (No reason he can't, he took us to the Semis in 06-07 with half the team we have now)

It kinda seems a pointless thread... Maybe it is. But I'm wondering what would happen, since everyone seems to think now that Luongo is on his way out. What if he stays and the management decides to actually pick the goalie that's proven, seems to have improved his attitude and has better playoff stats than CS over more games? Does this team win with the current core? Does it even matter who's in net?

I don't think we've discussed it much (I haven't been on CDC much lately so maybe I'm badly wrong), but I think this is worth a talk. Imagine the controversy. The guy who offers to waive the NTC if asked for a younger goalie virtually demanding a starter job stays in favor of the latter. I for one think that would be a better situation.

Thoughts?

What happens then? It's unlikely that we pick up Suter or Weber, and it would mean that Schneider is dealt.

I see one or more of the following happening:

- Media scrutiny is at an all-time high (if even possible), which probably will set off an even more bipolar love-hate relationship between fans and Luongo

- Schneider dealt for Bottom - 6 forward and bottom pairing D or a Top-4 D

- Luongo leads team to Cup (No reason he can't, he took us to the Semis in 06-07 with half the team we have now)

It kinda seems a pointless thread... Maybe it is. But I'm wondering what would happen, since everyone seems to think now that Luongo is on his way out. What if he stays and the management decides to actually pick the goalie that's proven, seems to have improved his attitude and has better playoff stats than CS over more games? Does this team win with the current core? Does it even matter who's in net?

I don't think we've discussed it much (I haven't been on CDC much lately so maybe I'm badly wrong), but I think this is worth a talk. Imagine the controversy. The guy who offers to waive the NTC if asked for a younger goalie virtually demanding a starter job stays in favor of the latter. I for one think that would be a better situation.

Thoughts?

Oop, looks like I was badly wrong on Schneider's stats, :lol: I apologize, my mistake.

For Luongo's stats, Wikipedia says otherwise. It seems 2.50 and .917 sv% is accurate.

And yes, Wikipedia is trustworthy, I pity the fool who claims it can be edited by anybody anywhere without so much as a pointed finger and a stern expression.

Ok, sure... He took the team to 3 Semis with a half-ass team and then 2 others not much better that were partly injured and couldn't defend for their lives. Sure Luongo didn't exactly shut the door night in and night out against the Hawks, but the guy couldn't even see past the crease with Byfugly in front of him.

Even though it's all moot at this point as Lou has pretty much expressed his desire to leave, I think Lou would have to win the cup next year to save any kind of face with Canuck fans. MG would definately be sticking his own neck out as well. It's just an all round messy situation.

If Cory's trade value is higher is he not the better goalie? Is he not the goalie with more potential? Is he not the goalie that has more years of top level play left in him? I find it crazy when Lou fans say we should trade the goalie that will get us more in a trade "Cory". If other teams want him more should we not want him more?

If Cory's trade value is higher is he not the better goalie? Is he not the goalie with more potential? Is he not the goalie that has more years of top level play left in him? I find it crazy when Lou fans say we should trade the goalie that will get us more in a trade "Cory". If other teams want him more should we not want him more?

Let's be clear. Shea Weber is making $7-million this year. He is not worth that much money to the Canucks organization and I highly doubt either he or Suter would be willing to take a discount to play in Vancouver.

Keep dreaming though.

Archived