The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In The Case Where Luongo Stays

Ugli Fruit

Wow, frankly I'm surprised and glad that my fail of an OP actually started a decent discussion.

Let me add one point.

Luongo is an incredibly consistent goalie, both in the regular season AND the playoffs. Go check out his stats, the Sv. % is well over .900 in all but 2010-11 because of the Boston series (injuries/everyone going home skewed the stats). His GAA is 2.50. This time checked the stats myself instead of taking them from some muppet on CDC.

His Playoff stats are BETTER than his regular season stats. Also, Luongo has 59 playoff games under his belt. Schneider has 8. He has 68 career regular season starts, 9 more games than Luongo's PLAYOFFS experience.

His inconsistency is over a span of a few games. Goalies like Miller or Thomas have sucked over a span of an entire season (or at least 50 games). Even Schneider started to play very average when he started a string of games (letting in something like 3 goals on 8 shots).

I'm telling you, there is no point in trading Luongo if the parameters of this trade is to reduce inconsistency or just improve the quality of the position, because then trading Luongo would be counter-productive.

LoB

I predict Luongo stays and Schneider gets traded. Better return for Schneider and Luongo is signed long term to a very reasonable 5.3 mill per year cap hit.

Rinne recently signed a 7 yr 49 mil contract with annual salary and cap hit of 7 mill per year. Compared to other top goalies in the league Lu has a good contract.

AS MG said...the team is 98% there....and they want to finish the job. Lou has not stepped up well enough to get us over the hump. You just need to look at Phoenix to see how far you can go with an elite goalie..and Quick got LA into the playoffs. Lou ended up on the bench, not because the team needed a shakeup but because you don;t win many playoff games giving up 3 and 4 goals per game. Cory came in and only gave up a goal a game, giving the team a chance to win. The fact that we did not win was not due to Cory..but giving up 7 goals in 2 games by Lou, certainly gave us no chance to win.He does not appear to cope well under pressure of playoff games...some great games, others are stinkers. Can you say...INCONSISTANT ?

I like Bryzgalov's quote today about fans in Philadelphia:

"Who doesn't make mistakes?" he asked. "How many [pucks] did I catch before then? But very few notice that. People are so concentrated on the negative that they only see the bad in me. But I think you need to be kinder to each other."

Seems appropiate for us Canucks fans as well....

I predict Luongo stays and Schneider gets traded. Better return for Schneider and Luongo is signed long term to a very reasonable 5.3 mill per year cap hit.

Rinne recently signed a 7 yr 49 mil contract with annual salary and cap hit of 7 mill per year. Compared to other top goalies in the league Lu has a good contract.

I like Bryzgalov's quote today about fans in Philadelphia:

"Who doesn't make mistakes?" he asked. "How many [pucks] did I catch before then? But very few notice that. People are so concentrated on the negative that they only see the bad in me. But I think you need to be kinder to each other."

Seems appropiate for us Canucks fans as well....

If Luongo stays then expect him to be the most scrutinized player in all of hockey...

Lu is one of my favorite Canuck's of all time and i've always backed and defended him. But even I can see it's time for the organization and Luongo himself to just move on...And as much as I love him and will be incredibly sad to see him move to another team, we DON'T want to lose Schneider. He is going to be a perennial Vezina contender. The kid is a star talent in net.

People say "he isn't proven"...He made 33 appearances last season which is a large sample for a backup. Remember, when he took over as starter with Lu out is when the team finally started winning on a consistent basis. He also came in time after time when the team lost 2 in a row with Lu in net to halt it. Over last season he had the 3rd best gaa in the league and 2nd best save %...Heck, he had the 3rd best save % in the history of the league! He also played in a few of the biggest regular season games for Vancouver. There wasn't a more pressure filled regular season game then against Boston, and he won it. Add on to that with the Canucks playoff lives on the line he allowed 1 regulation goal in 3 straight games.

To me, there isn't a risk at all in this kid turning out.

Lou played more games for sure but was a no show in october and a couple of iffy periods during the season. Its not like he was stellar throughout the season. Looks like he can't carry the load anymore. So wheres the problem with Schneider? Huh? Huh?

If Luongo stays then expect him to be the most scrutinized player in all of hockey...

Lu is one of my favorite Canuck's of all time and i've always backed and defended him. But even I can see it's time for the organization and Luongo himself to just move on...And as much as I love him and will be incredibly sad to see him move to another team, we DON'T want to lose Schneider. He is going to be a perennial Vezina contender. The kid is a star talent in net.

People say "he isn't proven"...He made 33 appearances last season which is a large sample for a backup. Remember, when he took over as starter with Lu out is when the team finally started winning on a consistent basis. He also came in time after time when the team lost 2 in a row with Lu in net to halt it. Over last season he had the 3rd best gaa in the league and 2nd best save %...Heck, he had the 3rd best save % in the history of the league! He also played in a few of the biggest regular season games for Vancouver. There wasn't a more pressure filled regular season game then against Boston, and he won it. Add on to that with the Canucks playoff lives on the line he allowed 1 regulation goal in 3 straight games.

To me, there isn't a risk at all in this kid turning out.

Lou played more games for sure but was a no show in october and a couple of iffy periods during the season. Its not like he was stellar throughout the season. Looks like he can't carry the load anymore. So wheres the problem with Schneider? Huh? Huh?

The problem? Luongo had another solid season despite having injury problems. Schneider played less than half the games than Luongo, and that was the biggest workload he had ever faced. When he actually played a string of games, the guy started to suck too.

The kid isn't even close to proven. Just because he did well in his small portion of the games doesn't mean he'll stand up to the whole test. That's like testing a piece of wood with your hand and then using it to make a bridge just because it withstood your hand.

He played that streak of games from Nov. 3 to Dec. 1. On the November 3rd game, he let in 5 goals and had a .889 Sv%. On the December 1st game, he let in 3 goals on 5 shots and had a .400 Sv%.

His first big string of games and he has 1 subpar game and one atrocious one. And you're sure he's ready to make that step? If you extrapolate this stat, he's going to have two bad games every ten-ish games. That's something like 12 games where he sucks assuming he plays 65ish games. Sure, that's not accurate at all, but the facts presented suggests he is NOT ready.

why are you just picking out his bad games? why not acknowledge the games in between as well... did you look at those?

I can do the same with Luongo, from Mar3 to Mar14 he posted .571, .857, .886, .848 save%. Well those aren't even AHL calibre numbers....

so what does a backup need to do to become a starter? win every game? like I said, every goalie has to start somewhere

Archived