The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks: 10 Players Who Could Be Coming West In Luongo Deal

Sully2Cool

From the guys listed, I was unaware that the Canucks desired to become an old folk's home. So many players who are past their prime are suggested as being a good return for Luongo. For the most part I say, "No thanks".

The consensus team requirements seem to be: a top-6 right winger, a top pairing d-man, restocking the cupboard, and seeing what's out there to supplement the bottom-6. If these spots can be filled from within the organization, great. Ideally. the team gets younger.

1.) NJD: I doubt the Canucks will get Parise, even though he is going to be a UFA. I wouldn't mind Volchenchov (assuming he waives), AND Zubrus AND a 1st (for next year) but I don't see NJ going for that deal. Considering that the Devils could go all the way to the finals this year, guys who have NTC's might be less inclined to waive them.

2.) In a trade with Toronto I'd want something more than Schenn, and Komisarek ain't it. I don't see the Canucks' issues at forward being addressed in a trade with Toronto.

3.) Florida: I would not want Jovanovski back. Kulkov might not be so bad as a d-man, but I'm not that impressed with their forwards.

4.) Ohlund and St. Louis are well past their prime. They may be better than some players the Canucks currently have on the roster, but their ages and cap hits argue against trading for them. If Malone said yes, he could be an asset to the team. I suspect that the Canucks would prefer to try and get Brett Connolly or Purcell, and if they were going to make a go at a d-man with a NTC then I suspect they'd prefer to court Brewer. This being said, TB needs d-men, just like the Canucks.

regards,

G.

reports out of sweden that Ohlund is going to retire.

Saw it off of twitter - Pierre Lebrunn and Elliot Friedman had links to a Swedish source.

Probably add Lecavailer's ridiculous contract to that list as well

Trading Luongo does not guarantee a great player - but it does guarantee a decent player with a fat a$$ contract.

Canucks will have to either get someone on the end of their contract, someone with an overpayment, or some young unproven kids..

We'll see!

Yowsa. No thanks to any of the above. Kulikov would be of interest if Canucks didn't already have a plethora of left sided, puck moving d-men. The others are old (in hockey yrs) and/or have bad contracts. Pretty sure Parise knows who he wants to sign with, if he wants to be a Canuck - he'll come. No need to trade picks or a #1 goalie (sheesh) to get his rights.

I don't see Gillis moving Lu if he has to take on a bad contract, it makes no sense. Schneid would have to be re-signed ($2.5-$4M), + a $4M bad contract = worse off than they are now. Not worth it, a GM worth his own weight would never makes those deals.

Komiserik is Higgins best friend. The two of them together might bring Komiserik back to his old form. Chemistry/Friends have a way of doing that...Does Jeff Carter and Mike Richards ring a bell?

Trade Lou for the cap space (we need some to sign Schneider) and hopefully get some half descent picks or prospects.

Taking back salary dumps makes no sense to me especially when we sign great players at a discount round here.

Archived