The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Canucks: 10 Players Who Could Be Coming West In Luongo Deal

Sully2Cool

From the guys listed, I was unaware that the Canucks desired to become an old folk's home. So many players who are past their prime are suggested as being a good return for Luongo. For the most part I say, "No thanks".

The consensus team requirements seem to be: a top-6 right winger, a top pairing d-man, restocking the cupboard, and seeing what's out there to supplement the bottom-6. If these spots can be filled from within the organization, great. Ideally. the team gets younger.

Bleacher Report is what it is. A bunch of people who like hockey and like to speculate.

My speculation is that any name you read regarding what we get for Luongo will be wrong. Despite all the trade rumours that go on all the time, has anyone predicted Ballard, Higgins, Lapierre, Booth, Pahlsson, or Kassian/Gragnani? Gillis and his circle are so tight that no one seems to have the inside scoop on what he's thinking.

That said, it's still fun to guess and what do I know? Maybe there's someone on this forum or some prognosticator who's more tapped in to Gillis' mind than I think.

Anyway, I'm not sure why the writer thinks the Canucks need a right winger so badly. Sure, I think Ryan Malone is a possibility, and despite his contract, he might be a great addition while Kassian pounds away on the 4th line. But if we bring in a winger, I bet he's a playmaker and not a bruising goal scorer.

I'm also of the opinion that trying Kesler on the right wing with the Sedins or on the second line would be a worthwhile experiment. The guy just isn't a great distributor, whereas that's what Jordan Schroeder does. If Schroeder's not ready though, maybe Jensen is, or maybe Patrick Kane is available and Chicago decides Luongo is the best upgrade they can make in goal. I'm not suggesting a straight up trade, and the Canucks/Hawks history makes such a deal feel weird, but stranger things have happened.

Anyway, if I were in Gillis' shoes, I'd be focusing on right-handed defensemen and third-line centres. I think Komisarek, Schenn, and Salmon Arm product Franson could all work out pretty nicely alongside Edler. Schenn would be at the top of my list, but we could use Komisarek's nastiness, like Schenn and Franson, he'd play way better in Vancouver's system than Toronto's hit- everyone-all-the-time defensive strategy.

Volchenkov, even though he's a left-handed shot, would fit the nastiness bill quite nicely as well.

As for the 3rd-line centre hole, if Gillis believes that even with a full summer of serious training that Malhotra can't be a dominant 3rd-line centre, I could see him making an agressive push to sign Paul Gaustad, Jarret Stoll, or Chris Kelly.

Archived