Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

Vancouver Canucks: 10 Players Who Could Be Coming West In Luongo Deal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
140 replies to this topic

#121 JasetheCanuck

JasetheCanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

"...fairly weak on the back end." what are you saying?

we need one top pairing defenseman and our defense is set, don't think that's fairly weak at all.

Posted Image

Ebbett is as useful as a North Korean ballot box.

#122 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

First of all, I think a lot of people in this thread are underestimating Lou's value. He is definately a #1 goalie. He was a huge part of back to back Presidents Trophy's and took the Canucks to the cup final. The only problem is that he ran into a great young goalie who outplayed him (and he did outplay him). In the end, I don't see any deal as being a simple take what you can and run. MG should go for exactly what he feels the team needs.
With this in mind, what would be the best move?
Who would he go too?
First there are the obvious; Tampa and Toronto.
Second come my underdogs; Anaheim and maybe San Jose.
Tampa Bay would have a lot of interest. Anyway it goes I would want their first round pick as part of the deal.
Toronto, to me, gets a little more interesting. I would be most interested in Joffrey Lupul. He would seem to be a perfect fit for the Kesler line. If that wasn't gonna happen then, again, the first round pick would have to be part of any deal. This would be more in our favor than the Tampa pick as it would put us in line to draft a definate need in Griffin Reinhart.
Now for my darkhorses.
First Anaheim. Still in the States. Plenty of stars for his wife to shmooze with. Oh yeah, and again, plenty of hot sun for his wife to continue burning her face off with. Corey Perry or Bobby Ryan would be interesting but I have high hopes for Nicholas Jensen winding up on Keslers right side. Once again, the first round pick would be sweet, but I feel Anaheim would have to ante up a little more.
Finally San Jose. Anti Niemmi is iffy at best. In my eyes they should be interested in an upgrade. Brent Burns would be a good pick up, but is it an even swap or does one or the other need to ante more. Personally, I think San Jose would need to add a mid round draft pick.
I think my favorite option is that top six draft pick. I really like Griffin Reinhart and think he's a star in the making. He pretty much represents everything Vancouver needs. It would be sweet if they could get him and pry Jared Tinnordi out of Montreal. Monster defense.
MG is not a fool. He knows what he has in Lou. He will not get burned.

Edited by komodo1970, 09 May 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#123 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

I saw 2 players on here that i thought would be actual good editions to the team that could impact the Canucks, and i can't see them coming to Vancouver.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#124 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:04 PM

ZUBRUS now that's a name that should be thrown around more.

He's 6'5" and 225ibs AND can play both winger and centre.
Assuming we go after a playmaking winger this off-season, our line-up could look like this

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Wheeler (47 assists last season)
Higgins-Zubrus-Jensen
Kassian-Lapierre-Hansen
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#125 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:10 PM

Is this a good draft year? Supposedly...

So perfect time to get a bunch of picks...

#126 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Please. nothing from Toronto. Please.

MG seems like a smart man. I'd be shocked if we got schenn and or komiserik from the center of the universe for Lu. Shocked in a bad way. Then id puke a bit in my mouth. Then I'd have to get over having to cheer for bust leaf rejects.

Edited by riffraff, 13 May 2012 - 11:24 AM.

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#127 Fakename70

Fakename70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

Booth - Kesler - St Louis line could do so much damage offensively... I hope Schroeder gets a chance on that 2nd line center role since Kesler is expected to miss some time..

Only if St. Louis and Kesler switch places. Kes is too much of a puckhog to be a playmaker for his linemates. Whereas, where would Stamkos be without Mighty Mite on his wing? I'm still all for moving Kesler to RW, but, the question remains, who (of his caliber) could center his line? No one on the current roster. If Lu and T.O. are destined to be together, then MG absolutely has to get someone in return with that question in mind. Grabovski is the only one on their squad who even remotely excites/interests me for that role.

I think it's going to be a bit too much to expect Schroeder to play and contribute at a top-6 level, even if it's only for a couple months. Didn't the Canucks used to have another centerman this season, though, who likely could've filled that role for them next year, again, if even only briefly? I wish I could remember his name... <_<

#128 chicocanuck

chicocanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

Yowsa. No thanks to any of the above. Kulikov would be of interest if Canucks didn't already have a plethora of left sided, puck moving d-men. The others are old (in hockey yrs) and/or have bad contracts. Pretty sure Parise knows who he wants to sign with, if he wants to be a Canuck - he'll come. No need to trade picks or a #1 goalie (sheesh) to get his rights.

I don't see Gillis moving Lu if he has to take on a bad contract, it makes no sense. Schneid would have to be re-signed ($2.5-$4M), + a $4M bad contract = worse off than they are now. Not worth it, a GM worth his own weight would never makes those deals.

Hey, voice of reason. Your rational insights have no place here. Leave us to our ridiculous theories. ;)

Posted Image

"He's so cool and calm he could have played with a cigarette in his mouth". - Kevin Bieksa

#129 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

It is going to be Luongo+1st for Lacavalier.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Kesler-Lacavalier-Booth

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#130 mysticriver

mysticriver

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

It is going to be Luongo+1st for Lacavalier.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Kesler-Lacavalier-Booth

Lecavalier sucks.

Posted Image

Sig/Avatar by ExpectoPatronum

#131 CHIPS

CHIPS

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

Lecavalier sucks.

Have you seen his playoff stats? If you want that big strong center that can perform in the playoffs Lacavalier is your man.

CanucksvsBruinsPollsmall-1.jpgRogerNeilsonSmall.jpgSig too big. 

#132 mysticriver

mysticriver

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

Have you seen his playoff stats? If you want that big strong center that can perform in the playoffs Lacavalier is your man.

He was definitely solid in the playoffs last year (probably shouldn't have said he "sucks;" bad wording on my part), but who knows how he'll be this time around; he seems to play like he doesn't particularly give a crap throughout the regular season (I know this time of year doesn't matter but it does to teams like TB who have had trouble making the playoffs. Playing his best is important in that situation, and if you look at this year, it's quite sad that Stamkos scored 60 goals and they still couldn't secure a playoff spot.

Also, I can't say anything about your proposal because I don't know how to judge the fairness of this trade.

Edited by mysticriver, 13 May 2012 - 11:45 PM.

Posted Image

Sig/Avatar by ExpectoPatronum

#133 Niklas Jensen

Niklas Jensen

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

more like Lecavalier + a 1st for Luongo. Seriously, Lecavalier has a bigger cap hit with a similar term bad contract.
Our D's must make opponent fowards going to the net PAY THE PRICE

#134 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,186 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Kulikov or St. Louis would be lovely.
Posted Image

#135 gourami12

gourami12

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

Of the players that you list I can only see 2 being of any interest to the canucks.  You have made some pretty unsound assumptions in getting to this list. Not least of which is that Luongo is going to get traded at all.  The Canucks do not HAVE to trade Luongo. They do not HAVE to trade Schneider, but they do probably have to trade one of them.  This makes the return for Luongo substantially higher than you assume.  There are 10 NHL teams that desperately need a bona fide #1.  The only genuine #1 goalies available that a team can wrap up for the next 4 or 5 years are Luongo and Schneider.  Vokoun and Thomas can fill a gap for a year or 2 but  teams like TOR,TAM,CHI,EDM,CBJ,FLA,NYI,NJD and COL do not want to have to look for a new #1 every year.
As soon as Schneider is traded, Luongo goes off the market.  As soon as Luongo is traded, Schneider is off the market.  So demand is out-stripping supply, which means that the  price goes up.  
Consider the following hypothetic situation; GM Burke  is desperate to land Schneids and GM Yzerman is equally desperate  to land Luongo.  To get the goalie they want , they will each have to offer more than the other GM is prepared to offer for  their preferred goalie because if Luogo goes to TAM then Schneids will not go to TOR.  So what is Luongo worth?  He is worth whatever  a GM is prepared to pay to get him.   It doesn't  matter what anyone thinks about him.  It doesn't matter about his contract.
And incidentally, before you assume that Luongo's contract is a bad one, you may want to check out what other goalies have for contracts.  Start with Bryz in PHI, then check out the other 7 goalies who have higher cap hits than Luongo .  I'm sure PIT and CHI would rather have and Luongo in goal during the playoffs this year than their starters.

This. I think it's fair to say that MG would prefer to trade Lou given Schneid's performance. But by no means is it a given. It's possible MG may get an offer for Schneids that is too good to pass up. Possibly. But MG will have to move quickly post SCF because it's unlikely Schneids will sign until Lou is traded. Bit of a high quality chicken and egg problem.One thing I can say for sure - Zach Parise and other star players coming back this way are pipe dreams. You can expect a good roster player and maybe a pick or two (if Gillis trades wisely) but not much more than that.I wonder how Philly is feeling about Bryzgalov these days?

#136 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

Luongo for CBJ 2nd overall and Derek brassard.

#137 SwedishCrowns

SwedishCrowns

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Trades to make this Offseason

To Vancouver: Shea Weber
To Nashville: 1st round pick ,J.Schroeder, M.Gragnani, Aaron Rome

To Vancouver: Mattias Ohlund, Steven Stamkos, Victor Hedman
To Tampa Bay: Roberto Luongo, Mason Raymond,Kieth Ballard, Sami Salo along with 4 million dollars

To Vancouver: 1st Round Pick, Steve Ott
To Dallas: Andrew Alberts, Mark Macari*, Andrew Ebbett,

To Vancouver: Christian Ehrhoff
To Buffalo: Dallas' 1st Round Pick, 2nd round pick, Sammuel Pahlson, Byron Bitz

To Vancouver: 1st Round Pick
To Toronto :Stefan Schneider, Andrew Gordon, Mike Duco

To Carolina: Kevin Conuation,Matt Climie, Bill Sweatt

To Vancouver: 1st Round pick
To Winnipeg: Zach Kassian

Plan: Rest Kesler untill trade deadline (FED 28th) whenever the date is, And Trade Stamkos to the Columbus Blue Jackets for their first round pick to dumb his HUGE cap hit.

IM A GENIUS. LIKE ME

#138 gourami12

gourami12

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

Trades to make this Offseason

To Vancouver: Shea Weber
To Nashville: 1st round pick ,J.Schroeder, M.Gragnani, Aaron Rome

To Vancouver: Mattias Ohlund, Steven Stamkos, Victor Hedman
To Tampa Bay: Roberto Luongo, Mason Raymond,Kieth Ballard, Sami Salo along with 4 million dollars

To Vancouver: 1st Round Pick, Steve Ott
To Dallas: Andrew Alberts, Mark Macari*, Andrew Ebbett,

To Vancouver: Christian Ehrhoff
To Buffalo: Dallas' 1st Round Pick, 2nd round pick, Sammuel Pahlson, Byron Bitz

To Toronto :Stefan Schneider, Andrew Gordon, Mike Duco

To Carolina: Kevin Conuation,Matt Climie, Bill Sweatt

To Vancouver: 1st Round pick
To Winnipeg: Zach Kassian

Plan: Rest Kesler untill trade deadline (FED 28th) whenever the date is, And Trade Stamkos to the Columbus Blue Jackets for their first round pick to dumb his HUGE cap hit.

IM A GENIUS. LIKE ME

I'm surprised you didn't snag Claude Giroux and Duncan Keith somewhere there. FAIL.

#139 smithers joe

smithers joe

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

phaneuf is a terrible d-man and a cancer in the dressing room.....toronto has been trying to rid themself's of schenn for 2 years...
if we have to take back contract, then at least make it for someone, who won't hurt us on or off the ice..

#140 sandman44

sandman44

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Just pix.
Lu for three pix.
"You understand Captain that this mission does not exist, nor will it ever exist."

Fade to Lack

...he took a face from the ancient gallery, and he walked on down the hall...

#141 Schneider.Man604

Schneider.Man604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:17 PM

we need better defense, end of story. Trade Lu for a big impact making defensemen

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.