Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Proposal] Depth, Depth, Depth

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,101 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:36 PM

Re-Signings:
Sami Salo- 1 year deal @ 1.75 mil
Cory Schneider- 5 year deal @ 4 mil per season
Steven Reinprecht- 1 year deal @ 1 mil

Trades:
To Toronto:
Roberto Luongo
Andrew Alberts
Dale Weise

To Vancouver:
Jake Gardiner
Joe Colborne
Mike Komisarek

Why does Vancouver do this?- The Canucks get a top notch offensive d-man in Jake Gardiner who can play on the top unit on the powerplay. Gardiner is also only 22 years old which means that he has tons of potential, especially after coming off a solid 30 pt campaign. He'll play with Edler on the top powerplay unit, creating the necessary talent on the back end for the powerplay. Joe Colborne is a big, talented centre who has tons of offensive potential. He'll be a direct replacement to Cody Hodgson as the young, third line centre which the team definitely needs. Komisarek is a cap dump for the Leafs which the Canucks will likely need to obtain in a trade for Luongo. He's had a rough time in Toronto, but a change of scenery may do him well. If not, the Canucks have Tanev to take his place.

Why does Toronto do this?- They finally get some solid goaltending, which they have been missing since the pre-lockout. Burke pays a hefty price by giving away 2 prospects, but he gets his star goalie on a long-term contract with a decent cap hit. He also gets rid of Komisarek on the D, allowing more flexibility and opportunity for young players like Korbinian Holzer to take his spot. The Leafs also get a solid number 6/7 d-man in Andrew Alberts and a decent depth forward in Dale Weise.

To Vancouver:
3rd round draft pick- 2012 or 2013

To NY Islanders:
Keith Ballard

Why do the Canucks do this?- Cap dump and no room for him within the lineup after the Leafs trade.

Why do the Islanders do this?- The Isles have little to no defensive depth and with Streit likely leaving at the end of next year, they will need a decent puck-moving d-man. Ballard needs a change of scenery as well, and he could excel by not having the Vancouver media and fan pressure.

To Vancouver:
Derek Dorsett- Sign to a 2 year deal @ $875,000 per season

To Columbus:
Mason Raymond

Why do the Canucks do this?- Tough, gritty fourth liner who will be an important piece in the playoffs.

Why do the Blue Jackets do this?- They get a top-nine forward who can play in both offensive and defensive situations.

Signings:
Kristian Huselius- 1 year deal @ 3.5 mil

Low risk, high reward signing. If he plays well, the Canucks have a solid top-six forward who can complement Booth and Kesler greatly. If he plays poorly, the Canucks have depth players like Higgins, Schroeder, Hansen, Reinprecht and Kassian to potentially take his spot. It's also only on a one year contract.

Justin Schultz- 3 year ELC @ $900,000 with signing/performance bonuses

One of the reasons for the Canucks getting Gardiner is so they can obtain the hometown kid Justin Schultz as well. Having Schultz in the system will add to the strong defensive depth of the team and give the Canucks a stronger outlook into the future.

Final Lineup:
Sedin (6.1)-Sedin (6.1)-Burrows (2)
Booth (4.250)-Kesler (5)-Huselius (3.5)
Higgins (1.9)-Colborne (1.1)-Hansen (1.350)
Lapierre (1)-Malhotra (2.5)-Dorsett (0.875)
Reinprecht (1)

Hamhuis (4.5)-Bieksa (4.6)
Edler (3.250)-Salo (1.750)
Gardiner (1.117)-Komisarek (4.5)
Schultz (1.5)/Tanev (0.900)

Schneider (4)
Lack (0.900)

Cap Hit: 63.692

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 08 May 2012 - 10:39 PM.

#2 mr_long1990

mr_long1990

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

I don't think Toronto will be willing to part with two of their better young players.

I like the Dorsett deal though.

Edited by mr_long1990, 08 May 2012 - 10:40 PM.

JOE THORNTON 19

#3 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,066 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:41 PM

I like it. What if Salo retires?

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Gardiner - Schultz
Connauton - Tanev

At years end, flip Komisarek to a team like Columbus for picks, then give Edler Mike's current contract.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#4 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

I doubt Toronto would do it, add something else or change Wiese or Alberts to someone else of higher value, maybe change Wiese to Raymond then give something else in the deal to Columbus.

Ballard is worth more than a 3rd for sure, but we should keep instead of Komisarek, Ballard > Komisarek.

if we did trade Raymond to Cbj for Dorsett we should try to get something else, Raymond > Dorsett.

Ya Raymond doesn't do much for our team but he is a top 6 forward for them and he could score 20 next year there, and if he does and we traded him for a 4th liner, would make us look terible, maybe ask for a 4th additionally. (and that's coming from one of the biggest Raymond haters).

I like the Huselius signing and the Schultz would want more than 1.5 since he is making 2.75 right now.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 08 May 2012 - 10:48 PM.

zackass.png

#5 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:52 PM

I'd run away and hide if those three deals were offered to me.

^ Accept and hide ;)

Huselius IMO will sign a Marco Sturm deal. Too risky for 3.5 even though I wouldn't care with the 5+ million in cap space.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#6 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,101 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:55 PM

I doubt Toronto would do it, add something else or change Wiese or Alberts to someone else of higher value, maybe change Wiese to Raymond then give something else in the deal to Columbus.

Ballard is worth more than a 3rd for sure, but we should keep instead of Komisarek, Ballard > Komisarek.

if we did trade Raymond to Cbj for Dorsett we should try to get something else, Raymond > Dorsett.

Ya Raymond doesn't do much for our team but he is a top 6 forward for them and he could score 20 next year there, and if he does and we traded him for a 4th liner, would make us look terible, maybe ask for a 4th additionally. (and that's coming from one of the biggest Raymond haters).

I like the Huselius signing and the Schultz would want more than 1.5 since he is making 2.75 right now.

The thing with the Toronto trade is that the Leafs have tons of prospects within their system that will replace Gardiner and Colborne. If the Leafs draft a player using their 5th overall pick, they'll either get Galchenyuk (a potential upgrade over Colborne) or Dumba (an upgrade over Gardiner). If they trade that 5th overall pick for a star centre, then it is likely that Colborne gets dealt anyways. The Leafs have tons of depth through their prospects but are very limited in terms of goaltending which will ultimately force them to make a move like this.

Komisarek is a tough d-man who will add grit and leadership to the team. He hasn't been good in Toronto but a change in scenery may help him. If he keeps his game simple, he can be a solid defenseman on the team.

Raymond likely will be better then Dorsett but at the same time, the Canucks need a tough fourth liner. This is a trade that makes sense for both sides and the Canucks likely won't get a better deal for Raymond. With his cap hit being a minimum of 2.5 mil next season, it makes no sense for the Canucks to keep him. He would be a better fit on Columbus and the Canucks get a tough fourth liner who can stick up for players like the Sedins.

I think you're mixing up Justin Schultz with Jeff Schultz of the Caps. Two different players.

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 08 May 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#7 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

The thing with the Toronto trade is that the Leafs have tons of prospects within their system that will replace Gardiner and Colborne. If the Leafs draft a player using their 5th overall pick, they'll either get Galchenyuk (a potential upgrade over Colborne) or Dumba (an upgrade over Gardiner). If they trade that 5th overall pick for a star centre, then it is likely that Colborne gets dealt anyways. The Leafs have tons of depth through their prospects but are very limited in terms of goaltending which will ultimately force them to make a move like this.

Still, they wouldn't give up that much for Lu and two players who can barley crack our roster, more would be needed.

Komisarek is a tough d-man who will add grit and leadership to the team. He hasn't been good in Toronto but a change in scenery may help him. If he keeps his game simple, he can be a solid defenseman on the team.

He seemed to be good in Montreal, but he has been inconsistent throughout his career, and still Ballard > Komisarek, Ballard is more worth the 4.2 than Komisarek is worth 4.5, if we got Komisarek I would bury him in the minors of trade him to a team for a 7th or something that is worth little.

Raymond likely will be better then Dorsett but at the same time, the Canucks need a tough fourth liner. This is a trade that makes sense for both sides and the Canucks likely won't get a better deal for Raymond. With his cap hit being a minimum of 2.5 mil next season, it makes no sense for the Canucks to keep him. He would be a better fit on Columbus and the Canucks get a tough fourth liner who can stick up for players like the Sedins.

Yes but Raymond is worth more than Dorsett, Raymond is like Higgins, perfect example, he had a good year, then becomes inconsistent and then the right team could get good play out of him, and we traded a 3rd and Oberg for Higgins so we could likely get the same if not more for Raymond since he is younger and is more likely to become the 25 goal scorer he was than Higgins become the player he was.

I think you're mixing up Justin Schultz with Jeff Schultz of the Caps. Two different players.

Oh yeah, I thought you were talking about Jeff Schultz, I don't know much about Justin but if he's worth 1.5 than I guess he would be worth it as a 7th or 8th.

zackass.png

#8 Crom!

Crom!

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,259 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

Good proposal. Might have to add a bit to the TOR deal but that's no problem.

#9 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:53 PM

I respect the effort but there is no way some of these deals are going down. If we get Gardiner alone from that Luongo deal we would have won.

I'd love to get Schultz if he is everything he's cracked up to be. If we can get anything for Raymond that's a positive... I'd honestly take a 6th.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#10 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

I don't think Toronto would want to do that. I don't think they'd want to trade Gardiner who they will need to make the playoffs. They wouldn't want to lose Colborne too, even if they do have other prospects in the system.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#11 da.moose

da.moose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

Solid Proposal!

I would want to sign Tootoo on top of all of that if possible just cause he would be such a help to this team. Cant get everyone though and you made some solid and realistic moves.

#12 Toews

Toews

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Dumba isn't at the point where he can jump in and replace Gardiner. Leafs won't deal Gardiner, he was already playing 20-25 minutes a night for them, especially for a prospect who needs time.

Edited by Toews, 09 May 2012 - 06:18 AM.

#13 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

Wicked proposal!

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#14 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Wicked proposal! Only thing I dislike is komisarek..guys a bum for what he gets paid, like another Ballard no offense. Would rather want Franson.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#15 Thunder Bunnies

Thunder Bunnies

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

Nice proposal, reasonable trades for all teams involved. I really like the idea of acquiring Gardiner + Colborne but Toronto might not let go of them that easily.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.