The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Lord’S Prayer In St Albert Public School

I agree - it does come down to the Charter as far as basic rights.

"The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

As D-money and I have said - prayer shouldn't be in schools. Even the Bible agrees.

At the same time, people opposed to it should be just that - opposed to it - for spewing hate about it and/or ridiculing people about it also violates the Charter.

Yet, "section 319(2) of the Criminal Code, which prohibits the wilful promotion of hatred toward any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion or ethnic origin.

That seems to violate the Charter, but

"Chief Justice Dickson (as he then was) found that section 319(2) infringed the guarantee of freedom of expression found in section 2( B) of the Charter. In determining that section 319(2) was, however, saved by section 1 of the Charter, his reasoning included a consideration of the harmful effect on society of this form of communication, Canada's commitments in international law to prohibit hate-mongering expression, and the principles underlying sections 15 and 27 of the Charter, which respectively guarantee equality and emphasize the importance of the multicultural heritage of Canadians. Both section 319(2), and the reverse onus provision in section 319(3)(a), which allows an accused to defend on the basis that his or her statements are true, were upheld under section 1 of the Charter as reasonable limits prescribed by law in a free and democratic society."

Wetcoaster was a genius at figuring this all out.

Bottom line is? We need to treat each other better. Then we don't need to quote laws and charters and complain about what people are doing to each other.

We just need to learn to respect one another, embrace our differences instead of using them against one another.

People with beliefs need to understand their beliefs better as well as where they fit in society.

They aslo need to stop pointing fingers.

Love is the answer - not hate.

I agree - it does come down to the Charter as far as basic rights.

"The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

As D-money and I have said - prayer shouldn't be in schools.  Even the Bible agrees.

At the same time, people opposed to it should be just that - opposed to it - for spewing hate about it and/or ridiculing people about it also violates the Charter.

Yet, "section 319(2) of the Criminal Code, which prohibits the wilful promotion of hatred toward any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion or ethnic origin.  

That seems to violate the Charter, but

"Chief Justice Dickson (as he then was) found that section 319(2) infringed the guarantee of freedom of expression found in section 2( B) of the Charter. In determining that section 319(2) was, however, saved by section 1 of the Charter, his reasoning included a consideration of the harmful effect on society of this form of communication, Canada's commitments in international law to prohibit hate-mongering expression, and the principles underlying sections 15 and 27 of the Charter, which respectively guarantee equality and emphasize the importance of the multicultural heritage of Canadians. Both section 319(2), and the reverse onus provision in section 319(3)(a), which allows an accused to defend on the basis that his or her statements are true, were upheld under section 1 of the Charter as reasonable limits prescribed by law in a free and democratic society."

Wetcoaster was a genius at figuring this all out.

Bottom line is?  We need to treat each other better.  Then we don't need to quote laws and charters and complain about what people are doing to each other.

We just need to learn to respect one another, embrace our differences instead of using them against one another.

People with beliefs need to understand their beliefs better as well as where they fit in society.

They aslo need to stop pointing fingers.

Love is the answer - not hate.

Why should we embrace each other's differences? I'll respect your right to believe in silly fairytales and delude yourself into thinking that you're better than everyone who doesn't believe in your very specific fairytale. But I will not respect the fairytale that you believe in, let alone embrace it. Religious folks like yourself love to preach love and acceptance with one side of their mouth, then spread doctrines that embrace hate towards homosexuals, women & basically anyone who isn't the same sect as them with the other. What you really should say is that 'Love is the answer - not god'.

You need to stop generalizing - there already is one poster here who does that - and it's 1 too many.

I don't spread any hate towards others.

Maybe if you read more of my posts you would understand that.

If I followed that "generalization" then I would not be accepting/supporting my daughter.

You are violating the charter by acusing me with lies and ridicule. Please stop.

I'm not asking you to embrace my religion - I'm asking you to embrace me (actually, asking everyone to embrace everyone).

"Love is the answer - not God" I'm okay with that approach as well.

You need to stop generalizing - there already is one poster here who does that - and it's 1 too many.

I don't spread any hate towards others.

Maybe if you read more of my posts you would understand that.

If I followed that "generalization" then I would not be accepting/supporting my daughter.

You are violating the charter by acusing me with lies and ridicule.  Please stop.

I'm not asking you to embrace my religion - I'm asking you to embrace me (actually, asking everyone to embrace everyone).

"Love is the answer - not God" I'm okay with that approach as well.

Why should we embrace each other's differences? I'll respect your right to believe in silly fairytales and delude yourself into thinking that you're better than everyone who doesn't believe in your very specific fairytale. But I will not respect the fairytale that you believe in, let alone embrace it. Religious folks like yourself love to preach love and acceptance with one side of their mouth, then spread doctrines that embrace hate towards homosexuals, women & basically anyone who isn't the same sect as them with the other. What you really should say is that 'Love is the answer - not god'.

Being a Christian, and promoting Christian values is being complict in promoting hateful and backwards values, they're part and parcel. Unless of course you're just picking the parts of the doctrine that you like and agree with, which makes you less Christian and more hypocritical.

What's your point? That I have learned from my past? How about yourself?

Here's a story for you.

It's winter and a teachers sees 4 boys arguing with each other and he wants to keep the peace.

He approaches them and suggests that all 4 of them line up on the field and run to 1 of the goal poast.

Let us see who can get there the fastest - but in a straight line.

The snow is fresh so it will be easy to see their footsteps.

Go!

1st boy thinks if he looks down at his feet he will be able to tell if he's in a straight line.

2nd boy keeps looking to the left and right to see where the other boys are.

3rd boy keeps looking behind him to see if his fline is straight.

4th boy - this boy wins - how? He looked straight ahead to the goal post and never took his eyes off of it.

As you go through life, you won't get far if you keep looking down at your feet - sooner or later you will hit something.

Don't keep comparing yourself to others - you won't get far at all.

Don't live in the past - how can you move forward when looking behind all the time.

Keep yourself focused on the goal.

Look at driving - if looking behind or sideways was so important - then why are those mirrors smaller than the front windshield.

Hmm, been a while since there has been a comment on the actual topic at hand.

For the record, each school and school division handles things differently. If there is a city/town where the majority of parents would like the Lord's Prayer or a short Bible reading before the day, then that's up to the parents. If not, that is alright as well.

If 1/4 of parents want the Lord's prayer before the day at school, they don't get it because 3/4 of the parents believe otherwise. Same in this situation. Certainly seperating the children into different classes is a little much. The better option would be to either have those students either show up for class 5 minutes later, or have the other students show up 5 minutes earlier.

Archived